It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cataract Surgery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Sooo..... today I had cataract surgery in my right eye.

It's a tad embarrassing because I'm not THAT old. Or so I thought.

About a year ago, while reading my phone, (prolly ATS) I noticed I had to squint to read the words, as it also felt like there was something perpetually stuck in my eye. I thought, well I'm about the age where reading glasses are pretty common, so I figured that must be it. I didn't think much of it.

As time went on, however, the constant nagging feeling of something in my eye got more annoying, and things just kept getting blurrier in that eye. So I finally decided to see an eye doctor (and I avoid doctors like the plague, will explain more later).

Upon my first visit, the doc said it looked like a possible infection. There was some fluid build up that caused her to think this, so she prescribed some sodium based drops and sent me on my way.

Several months went by however, and I noticed my vision getting worse, so annoyingly bad that I started instinctively closing my right eye. The halos, blurriness etc started making me nauseous. So I finally went back to the eye doc.

This time, she found a cataract, not just in my right eye, but my left as well! I was dunbfounded. I'm not THAT old!! She explained to me that the age thing is mostly a myth because anyone can get them. It's just senior people are reported to have them more often because, well, they've been around longer and eventually millions of people get them. Makes sense I guess...

So today I had surgery. As of this morning my right eye was so blind that I could barely make out shapes. If you put your hand directly in front of my face, I wouldn't be able to tell you how many fingers you had up. A year ago that wasn't the case.

I was a panicked mess today. I wanted to back out, but all the nurses were totally understandable. I don't do doctors let alone surgeries. Never had anesthesia. In this case it was a "concious" anesthesia. The way they explained it was, I could still obey orders while basically being asleep and that I wouldn't remember a damn thing.

They were right. Lol I didn't remember a damn thing, and I worked myself into night terrors for weeks over this. I almost backed out. But she gave me the IV and I just felt kinda buzzed for a while. I remember being wheeled into the OR, next thing I knew I was awake with a nurse telling me I was done.

They did tell me however, that I required extra sedatives cause I..moved too much? Understatement according to the surgeon. My stomach muscles felt like they just did 200 sit-ups. Weird. Wonder why???? :p

Anyway, the actual surgery only took 7 mins. Lol.

Getting cataract surgery?? Don't panic like I did. It's no big deal!

My left eye's surgery will be in a month.
edit on 18-4-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Glad you're recovering!

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Thanks DBC, me too cause at about this time last night I was freaking the # out! Lol.

Oh! And I forgot to mention that my vision is already about 70% better. Colors are more vivid than ever! Things will still be blurry for the next 3 to 5 days. That's normal. But what they do is drain the cataract and give you a whole new lense, so it's like HD vision baby! They never can come back after surgery. The lense can fog but that's a 3 min procedure with lasers. No biggie!
edit on 18-4-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Make sure to put the drops in your eyes as directed, otherwise it does not come out as well. I know a lot of people who have had the surgery, almost all of them were better off after the surgery. One woman did have problems which actually did make her vision a little worse and a few people had complications which kept them about the same. The few people who had the complications also were not good at putting the drops into their eyes, the woman who did worse had other complications, it does happen occasionally that a person gets worse vision. Almost all the people I know did better though, they have gotten pretty good at cataract surgery.

The problem is more and more people are getting cataracts, It wasn't nearly as common years ago. More people with glasses or contacts these days too, I think it is because people do not eat liver much anymore. Many people cannot convert plant based carotines into Retinol, but some women do have makeup with Retinol and many vitamins nowadays do have retinol in them.

There are quite a few reasons for cataracts forming, it is not easy to stay away from the causes these days.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. That gives hope to the rest of us surgery phobics. And maybe a warning to get second opinions when it comes to docs.
edit on 18-4-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Good to know ricky.

I started my drops right after surgery and I plan to keep doing it without missing a beat for the next month. Then on to the next eye...

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

That is a relief to here all went well! I have developed a black floater in my right eye about 8 months ago but I am going to wait till it gets unbearable. I hate seeing doctors especially knowing what I know about how some conduct themselves. And I just recently had to go see one so I am good for a few years I think.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Good to hear you are well
and addressing those painful
issues.
It takes bravery to trust someone
else with your eyes and vision.

Wishing you a brand new 20/20.

Cheers !

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I wouldn't worry about the floater. Most eye docs won't even recommend treatment unless there are so many to where it is seriously obstructing your vision. ( asked my doc about that too)

You will likely get more as you age but it's typically nothing to worry about.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It will be a huge improvement..I had to do both mine at around age 44. The 1st was terrifying, but as you found out..a breeze pretty much, the 2nd was easy because I knew what to expect.
Like you, I figured I was a bit young to get this. A career in welding I think contributed to the early onset in my case.
Do your drops and heal up..take it easy on the lifting stuff for a few weeks.

edit on 18-4-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Glad you bit the bullet and it didn't bite back, Wookie!

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

How old are you? Cataracts affecting vision that severely over such a short period in people under 60 are rare.

Have you been using steroid meds habitually? Even OTC stuff like Flonase can cause cataracts.

Are you diabetic? They also form earlier and advance more aggressively if you are.

Luckily in just about any case its an easy quick outpatient procedure and youre back in biz 😎

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

That is a relief to here all went well! I have developed a black floater in my right eye about 8 months ago but I am going to wait till it gets unbearable. I hate seeing doctors especially knowing what I know about how some conduct themselves. And I just recently had to go see one so I am good for a few years I think.

Actually, significant new floaters can sometimes indicate retinal detachment.

Its rare but serious.

May wanna have it checked.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Blood pressure medicine gives quite a few people cataracts as a side effect.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

My surgeon said too much UV light can do it..I spent years welding, in the last year in really awkward places(hard to wear the proper protection 100%). I definitely got more than my share of UV..only once did I actually get arc flash that required a hospital visit.
My welding career is over now.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

Blood pressure medicine gives quite a few people cataracts as a side effect.

That could be it. I started BP meds a few years back. No diabetes, don't use steriods... uv light is one theory. However, it was explained to me pretty clearly that there is no 100% full proof answer. My surgeon basically said sometimes they pop up for no known reason.
edit on 19-4-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

So....how is your right eye know?
OR is it still patched?

Thanks for telling us your experience.
I probably have this procedure somewhere in my future.

I do have some mild cataract damage.
I was told we all pretty much have them, but many/most will never have them get bad enough for surgery. And for most of us, they are so mild we don't know about them.

edit on Thu Apr 19 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

So far, so good! I can already tell that colors are much more vibrant in the right eye. I often find myself doing comparisons, closing the left eye, then the right, lol. It's kinda like the difference between HD and standard definition.

Things are still blurry tho, but that's expected for about a week. I have a follow up appointment next week, so I'll update then!

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: anonentity

My surgeon said too much UV light can do it..I spent years welding, in the last year in really awkward places(hard to wear the proper protection 100%). I definitely got more than my share of UV..only once did I actually get arc flash that required a hospital visit.
My welding career is over now.

I have been a welder for over 45 years
The worst i got from welding was once i arc welded wearing a brand new white t shirt. DON'T DO IT
My eyes burned and felt like they were fill of salt for a week.

I have had Cataracts for over 6 years and my doctor still tells me i don't need surgery.
I live in the desert and just that up your risk of Cataracts.

posted on Apr, 19 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Oh ya, arc flash was not fun..in my case it was a 2 day deal..it hit me about 8 hrs after work, woke up feeling like I had sand shoved in my eyes, and nothing could make it better. I ended up calling a cab to take me to the hospital, were they froze my eyes.
You're lucky the Cataracts aren't too bad..by the time I had my 1st eye done I was legally blind in that eye.

What Wookie say's is true..when they took the patch off it was amazing how vibrant and HD like everything was.
Stay safe.
edit on 19-4-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join