It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dying Isn't As Scary An Experience As You Think It Is, Says New Study

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

originally posted by: carewemust
The truth about death and the hereafter is hidden from our knowledge for good reason!

Otherwise, suicides would be rampant, and nobody would care about life in this world.

Smart...

It was obvious even from a young age that the 2 unforgivable sins were actually control mechanisms for the serfs.

So many people indoctrinated with so many lies - it’s actually impressive.

Exactly right. Think about it. If humankind knew how wonderful the after-life is, there'd be no "sanctity of life".

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Having just witnessed the peaceful and positive death of my Beloved partner of over 30 years, I can understand fully this quote:

Researchers found that death is often described as a peaceful, "unexpectedly positive" experience by those who are close to it, and that the concept or thought of death may actually be scarier than death itself.

I think we all have more fear of the circumstances of our death than of death itself. My Beloved had a horrible fear of being disabled to the point of not being able to care for himself. Everyone who knew him well knew that he preferred to die rather than to live each day depending on someone else for his basic needs. His wish was to die at home surrounded by those he loved.

We were blessed with the opportunity to fulfill his wishes. Death from pneumonia is not painful. With the help of hospice, we brought him home from the hospital after a massive brain bleed had put him into the very condition he feared, helpless. He knew that the pneumonia would be fatal and yet he refused to allow treatment and went out on his own terms, surrounded by family and friends. We had four joy-filled days away from the medical industrial complex. Lots of love and laughter because despite having had a horrible stroke, his sense of humor was intact throughout his last days.

We watched a tremendous lightning storm a couple of hours before he died. His comment was, "Maybe I'll catch a ride on Thor's chariot." With his cat curled up in the crook of his arm, he went to sleep and caught that ride.

My native relatives have a saying for it. "He had a good death."

The death that you witnessed---nothing good about it, the kind of death that provokes fear.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I accepted the premise of death once. Duty for country and all that. It worked out that I did not die, so after a cooling down period I thought that although I was OK with it, the circumstances were everything.

Then in 2006 I died on an operating table with some pretty extreme physical trauma.

I didn't know I did till later, so dying didn't matter at all to me then. It was after the dream.

I am currently watching the love of my life slowly suffocating because of a sarcoma gone wild changing her innards into tumors. She can't move from room to room without oxygen... she cannot take care of herself and she is just done. We go to the doctors tomorrow where hopefully they can ease her suffering. She has no out.

It isn't the death part... she would welcome that at this point.

The hard part for her, she says, is taking my life away when she goes.

So life is a matter of perspective. I would die tonight for her with no regrets.

Gives me a heavy heart knowing how hard it is to go through what you are. Nothing I can say would make it any better, but I will be thinking of you and praying for you both.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlejoX
More than a fear of death itself, the concept of eternity (regardless of whether or not there is a conscious afterlife) has always been a fairly overwhelming one for me to grasp if I think about it too much.

I try to reassure myself by considering the concept that there must have been an “infinite” time prior to my existence (if you do not consider time to have begun with the universe etc) to which I was blissfully unaware, and suppose after will likely be much the same.

More than anything, whilst overwhelmed by such abstract concepts, I am afraid of not having lived my fullest/best life before I get there.

That's the thing ain't it?

Live life to the fullest, the best you can.

Dying with regrets? Big bummer.

Seems like the older I get the more regrets I end up with.

Almost unfair.

Love the ones you're with.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

The truth about death and the hereafter is hidden from our knowledge for good reason!

Otherwise, suicides would be rampant, and nobody would care about life in this world.

Smart...

It was obvious even from a young age that the 2 unforgivable sins were actually control mechanisms for the serfs.

So many people indoctrinated with so many lies - it’s actually impressive.

Exactly right. Think about it. If humankind knew how wonderful the after-life is, there'd be no "sanctity of life".

Yeah I'll be that guy.

Hillary lost so no problem.

You don't get a pass if you kick the bucket for the the crap of what you've done.

Even Karma says that.

You get what you put in.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

For most of us, the thought of dying can be frightening. Some people have to cover their eyes if they're watching someone die in a movie, while others get scared if they feel sick, look up their symptoms on WebMD and convince themselves they've got a terminal disease. Basically, dying doesn't sound like much fun and most of us would prefer to delay it as long as possible (if we're still healthy and happy, that is). But a new study published in Psychological Science says that our fear of death might be exaggerated. (Seriously!)

Dying Isn't As Scary An Experience As You Think It Is, Says New Study TBH, we're still scared.

Is the thought of death, or when being faced with death...

Researchers found that death is often described as a peaceful, "unexpectedly positive" experience by those who are close to it, and that the concept or thought of death may actually be scarier than death itself.

"I think that when people imagine that dying is like, they see it as being very different from the life they know," study author Kurt Gray said. "But really, death is part of life. And maybe you don't need to fear it as much as you might."

Really? Is death the welcomed outcome for the Jordanian pilot burned alive while tied to a post? I watched the video... to which I will eternally regret watching. Not only because of what happened to these pilots. But because their circumstance, their death, remains in my memory enables for their memory to live on through me and other who where stupid enough to watch their death happen.

Is death itself scary?

Or is the circumstance of death even greater than death itself...

It
S not like you die in some horrendous way... get to the other side and go "Damn! That REALLY hurt! ".

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Ummm...I don't have a fear of death per se...Nor is it a fear of pain...cause living hurts...allot...

It's fear of the unknown...not knowing what's on the other side...or if there's an other side...

Life is precious to me...I don't want it to end...it's fear of ending...of the possibility of lights out and nothing after that...

That's what's scary to me...

I think that's why we envision an afterlife...or reincarnation...perhaps what comes next is what we envision...
For those who seek nothing...they get nothing...for those who seek utopic vision they get utopia...for those who seek some hellish torment...they get torment...

I can't say...sure wish I knew...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

For most of us, the thought of dying can be frightening. Some people have to cover their eyes if they're watching someone die in a movie, while others get scared if they feel sick, look up their symptoms on WebMD and convince themselves they've got a terminal disease. Basically, dying doesn't sound like much fun and most of us would prefer to delay it as long as possible (if we're still healthy and happy, that is). But a new study published in Psychological Science says that our fear of death might be exaggerated. (Seriously!)

Dying Isn't As Scary An Experience As You Think It Is, Says New Study TBH, we're still scared.

"I think that when people imagine that dying is like, they see it as being very different from the life they know," study author Kurt Gray said. "But really, death is part of life. And maybe you don't need to fear it as much as you might."

Really? Is death the welcomed outcome for the Jordanian pilot burned alive while tied to a post? I watched the video... to which I will eternally regret watching. Not only because of what happened to these pilots. But because their circumstance, their death, remains in my memory enables for their memory to live on through me and other who where stupid enough to watch their death happen.

Is death itself scary?

It
S not like you die in some horrendous way... get to the other side and go "Damn! That REALLY hurt! ".

LOL!!

That really made me laugh out loud.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Death sucks. No matter what happens, be it eternal off switch, heaven, waking up from a matrix, etc...what I do know is that I won't experience all the cool stuff coming down the pipeline.

The idea of dying is also terrifying. no good way out of this world..every single method is something that sounds terrible. shot? ugg...dying in your sleep...but you don't get to say your goodbyes. etc...

And again...missing out. Even if there is reincarnation, its still missing out from this perspective.

Yeah, not a fan of death. I think I'll opt out.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I came very close to passing away last year after getting incredibly ill after surgery due to infection which went septic.

I was 100% sure that I was going to die and honestly I was terrified and heartbroken to think that I would not see my children again or for that matter the woman I loved.

I had no fear of what was possibly waiting for me on the other side. Only fear of what I was leaving behind.

Thankfully, I pulled though obviously but it was not a pleasant experience. It was incredibly sad for me.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
LOl who says no one is afraid of death ?
most people fear death from time to time .

But more people fear how they may die ( fire is probably the number 1 fear. No one being burned to death will enter heaven for they will die with a curse on there lips .)

As for death Try to remember what you felt before you were born . Now you have a really good idea what you will feal after you die .
You know what for some living in hell may just be preferable over obovolian . Or not . Personal I will finly be at peace when I die .

I no longer long for death ( o I did for years and years ) But I can always die tomorrow . No matter what it is all our fates and being forced to exist for all enterinty in some sterile heaven would be the worst hell of all .
Only a fool would want to live forever and that is the promise of heaven and hell .

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I try to remember that always.. Dying don't bother me... it's having to keep living through all this craziness!

Is death itself scary?

It

LOL!!

That really made me laugh out loud.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Dying is scary. Death is peaceful.

I almost died once, i remember being afraid as i was suffocating in the car on the way to the hospital. Then everything went black. I could hear the echos of my girlfriend telling me not to die. The voice got quiet as it faded out.

Then everything was calm. I couldnt hear anymore or feel my body. I couldnt see anything, or feel anything.

It gets fuzzy but i remember feeling my thoughts move like waves in this void of space.
I was wondering where i was, but i wasnt scared anymore. I felt a great calm, a peace wash over me.

It felt like I was coming home for the first time.

Suddenly I felt another presence, like an entity. I do not recall seeing any images.

Something said something, im not sure if it was my subconcious, or another being that shared this void with me. Though i dont remember the specific words, i remember understanding that i had a choice to make, to return to my body or leave it forever, to the space on the other side of the void.

I dont know what the space on the other side of the void was,but i remember it felt like i had been waiting my entire life to go there. Then I felt as if i had a sense of urgency on my decision. I had to choose. I remembered where my body was, dying in the car with my girlfriend of the time.

I didnt want her to have guilt, to live her life thinking that if only she had gotten me to the hospital sooner, she could have saved me.

So i returned to my body. I remember gasping for air.
Feeling the heat fill my head as conciousness returned to my body.

Later she told me i had not been breathing.

Dying is scary. Death is like coming home for the first time.
At least for me.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Have a friend who "died" for a short time in Vietnam. Some sort of IED exploded and sent shrapnel through his body. He still limps and sets off the metal detectors at airports. While he was "dead" he had an OBE and saw his fellow soldiers who had been killed. It was a very intense experience. He says he'll never be afraid of death again.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to it. Oh, I don't want the time before to be filled with gradual deterioration or the knowledge that death is stalking me for months beforehand. But as to actually getting to the Other Side? Sure. I've lived long enough and accomplished all I really want or need to do. Some things haven't happened that I wish had, but I have no control over that. I do feel some resentment over "The System." This idea of continued incarnations and forgetting everything you've ever learned for the sake of a life experience seems to me to be absurd. It's a lot bigger than what I personally think about it, of course. I assume most self-aware avatars have similar feelings. It's like we're being used by some Oversoul who has no sympathy for our plight. My hope is that there are other adventures ahead of me and that I keep my own ego and consciousness.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Death within Existence would be most scary it would seem to those who during life thought existence ended at death.
And so lived their lives selfishly controlling & ruling over others with a Service To Self or S.T.S mentality.
Hoping there would be no repercussions after the time they were laid to rest for the ignorance they consciously inflicted upon others, during the life process within Existence...

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I believe there is something more after death so I am not afraid of it, its just the beginning of a new journey.

I am afraid of leaving those I love behind to soon, especially now that I have a kid on the way that's where my fear comes from not being able to see the minion grow into an adult.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
For those who are interested, this is a site where people from all over the world submit the stories of their Near Death Experiences, and the archives goes all the way back to 2003. There are hundreds and hundreds of absolutely fascinating stories which involve feelings of great peace, understanding and joy, and there are many similarities between the NDEs despite people coming from different cultures and belonging to different religions.

(I also want to mention that none of the people who submit their stories get any fame, book/movie deals or money for their contributions, so there is little reason to think they are lying or hoaxing.)

Near Death Experiences

Click the name of the submitter to read their full story.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

.......people imagine that dying is very different from life .......

really! you dont say! so dieing is very much not living? who woulda thunk it!

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal

.......people imagine that dying is very different from life .......

really! you dont say! so dieing is very much not living? who woulda thunk it!

You are attempting to be sarcastic, but the original post has a point. If you "wake up dead" and find that you are still conscious, can you tell a difference? Look up the writings of Emanuel Swedenborg some time. Educate yourself. In one passage he discusses people who are dead and do not know it. Interesting stuff.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The biggest fear I have is that I will never die.
Gun to the head and trigger pulled twice.
Been ran over by a car.
Been in a horrible car crash and walked away without a scratch.
What should have been lethal doses of inebriants.
Not to mention the falls this body has taken and electrocution.
Life seems to keep on happening.
Maybe death of someone is something only something others experience.
For the deceased the show goes on.
I long for that eternal nap.

edit on 26-3-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join