It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ICE spokesman resigns, citing fabrications by agency chief, Sessions about Calif. immigrant arrests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
ICE spokesman resigns, citing fabrications by agency chief, Sessions about Calif. immigrant arrests

The San Francisco spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has resigned over what he described as “false” and “misleading” statements made by top-ranking officials, including Attorney General Jeff Sessions and ICE Acting Director Thomas D. Homan.

The now-former spokesman, James Schwab, told news outlets late Monday that his resignation stemmed from statements by Homan and Sessions that potentially hundreds of “criminal aliens” evaded ICE during a Northern California raid in February because Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf warned the immigrant community in advance.

Schwab said he pushed back on that characterization — but said ICE instructed him to “deflect” questions from the press.

An ICE spokesman just quit because he said that his superiors, namely Sessions and Homan, were telling him to deflect and lie about the threat presented by illegals that escaped an ICE sweep due to a tip off.

“I quit because I didn’t want to perpetuate misleading facts,” he told the San Francisco Chronicle, which broke the story. “I asked them to change the information. I told them that the information was wrong, they asked me to deflect, and I didn’t agree with that. Then I took some time and I quit.”

ICE officials and Sessions — and at one point President Trump — criticized Schaaf for tipping off immigrants about the raid, which netted 232 suspected undocumented immigrants.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions scolded Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, who warned the city of a possible ICE raid last month. (Reuters)

Homan said in a statement that “864 criminal aliens and public safety threats remain at large in the community, and I have to believe that some of them were able to elude us thanks to the mayor’s irresponsible decision. Unlike the politicians who attempt to undermine ICE’s critical mission, our officers will continue to fulfill their sworn duty to protect public safety.”

And just last week, in Sacramento, Sessions said, “Those are 800 wanted criminals that are now at large in that community — 800 wanted criminals that ICE will now have to pursue with more difficulty in more dangerous situations, all because of one mayor’s irresponsible action.”

Schwab, however, said that both the number of potential arrests and the blame heaped on Schaaf by officials was wrong.

As he told the Chronicle, “I didn’t feel like fabricating the truth to defend ourselves against her actions was the way to go about it. We were never going to pick up that many people. To say that 100 percent are dangerous criminals on the street, or that those people weren’t picked up because of the misguided actions of the mayor, is just wrong.”

I applaud this guy for standing up for decency and truth. Someone speaking up for the truth is quite frankly a shocker in the age of Trump. Good for him. Unfortunately they'll just replace him with someone who is more willing to lie to push the narrative that (illegal) immigrants are evil, but at least he did the right thing. Plus this points a finger at the dishonesty the admin is engaging in to support their quest against illegals.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
What???

Someone in the government is lying to get its agenda pushed?

No way! I must be crazy!

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

The San Francisco spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Resignation before a termination can be processed
Standard business practice
Summed up that entire long OP in one short sentence...

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Good for him.

If this wpuld steamroll into re enacting Smith Mundt id be over the moon.

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

You know, I am half hispanic. My mom immigrated from Peru in the 60's. Screwed up had to leave the country with my brother and sister in tow and stay in Peru 10 years before coming back to the states correctly. (She came as a student and married my father; didn't change status so was in violation).

My wife is from Lativa, born and raised. She came over on a fiancee visa 8 years ago. She is a resident. I spent 2.5 years and over 5000 dollars to have her immigrate legally to the USA.

I say this to put things in perspective. I am absolutely one of the most staunch, anti-illegal immigrate people you will find. Why? Because, the 12 million illegals are an absolute slap in the face of doing things correctly and legally. I hear all the time, illegals do the jobs that americans won't do.

Let me tell you something, if americans didnt have a choice between sitting around on welfare in there own little bubbles, or getting off there ass and working, they would work.

There are 40 million actively employed people in the USA workforce. There are 12 million illegal immigrants working in our workforce. That puts illegals at 23% of the workforce. Your telling me, that if we deported EVERY single illegal immediately, companies would not pay more to get people to work? I don't believe that. Our shadow statistics for unemployment is around 10% not. If we deported, not only would we be at full employment, but there would be a work shortage resulting in better wages.

Democrats say that they are trying to help the poor? That's BS. You want to help the poor, give them a job. Give them good pay.

This idiot needed to go, he is part of the problem, not the solution.

If people wanna debate on whether USCIS needs reformed, sure. We can talk that. However, these people are not in that category. You wanna talk DACA, ok again, I can see that perspective too. HOWEVER, we need to fix the issue permenantly so liberal Democrats can't screw it up again.

Camain

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Good.

If he isn’t onboard to do his job 100% then he needs to go.

Obviously he is an Obama holdover.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: camain

You know, I am half hispanic. My mom immigrated from Peru in the 60's. Screwed up had to leave the country with my brother and sister in tow and stay in Peru 10 years before coming back to the states correctly. (She came as a student and married my father; didn't change status so was in violation).

My wife is from Lativa, born and raised. She came over on a fiancee visa 8 years ago. She is a resident. I spent 2.5 years and over 5000 dollars to have her immigrate legally to the USA.

I say this to put things in perspective. I am absolutely one of the most staunch, anti-illegal immigrate people you will find. Why? Because, the 12 million illegals are an absolute slap in the face of doing things correctly and legally. I hear all the time, illegals do the jobs that americans won't do.

AH yes the, "I did it, so anyone else should be able to do it" argument. I shouldn't have to point out why personal anecdotes are flawed logic.

Let me tell you something, if americans didnt have a choice between sitting around on welfare in there own little bubbles, or getting off there ass and working, they would work.

Nice opinion. Too bad things don't work out like that in reality. The reality of the situation is that as the education level in the country increases, less and less people want to do physical labor jobs. Welfare isn't causing this situation and blaming it shows you need to do some more research into the matter.

There are 40 million actively employed people in the USA workforce. There are 12 million illegal immigrants working in our workforce. That puts illegals at 23% of the workforce. Your telling me, that if we deported EVERY single illegal immediately, companies would not pay more to get people to work? I don't believe that. Our shadow statistics for unemployment is around 10% not. If we deported, not only would we be at full employment, but there would be a work shortage resulting in better wages.

Where did you pull these statistics from? Your ass?
Total number of full time employees in the US as of Feb 2018 - 126.4 million
At least your illegal immigrant estimate is more on the nose at 12.5 million

By the way, have you actually considered the logistics of deporting 12.5 million people? The cost, how to round them up, where to hold them until deportation, how to deport them, where to deport them to, etc? You make it sound like deporting 12.5 million people is as simple as waving your hand.

Democrats say that they are trying to help the poor? That's BS. You want to help the poor, give them a job. Give them good pay.

Funny you should mention pay and jobs.
More Americans need a 2nd job to make ends meet — and it's sending a troubling message about the economy
Wage Growth Over Last Six Years
It's easy to talk about giving the poor jobs and pay, but the facts and figures of the situation paint a different picture that buzzphrases and cliches can't solve.

This idiot needed to go, he is part of the problem, not the solution.

Obviously. One must lie to keep up the narrative that illegals are bad for America at ALL costs! If you aren't a liar then you are an idiot! DUH!

If people wanna debate on whether USCIS needs reformed, sure. We can talk that. However, these people are not in that category. You wanna talk DACA, ok again, I can see that perspective too. HOWEVER, we need to fix the issue permenantly so liberal Democrats can't screw it up again.

Camain

And you have to end it by taking a partisan shot at Democrats. Well played way of showing that you desire the status quo of pointless bickering over compromise and moving the nation forward as a country.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

By "onboard 100%" you of course mean lying through your teeth to overly fearmonger the illegal immigrant situation?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

By "onboard 100%" you of course mean lying through your teeth to overly fearmonger the illegal immigrant situation?

He is grandstanding and making a political spectical of himself. He has zero evidence that what he says is true, but the weak minded will believe him if it supports their agenda.

The fact that you ignore California’s blatant middle finger to U.S. immigration laws is telling.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Lol,

You notice he said the number was wrong but didn’t give the ‘acurate’ Number? Didn’t correct the record, just gave a BS political statement that people can match into without thinking and get emotional over

Then the blame for the mayor was wrong. When you think an ilegal action is right, then blaming someone for committing a crime, in a humble opinion is wrong. Again, you notice he never said how and why

He doesn’t want to arrest all the criminal and he personally feels they are not dangerous. Is all this guy said.

I bet he voted for Clinton too...

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

He is grandstanding and making a political spectical of himself. He has zero evidence that what he says is true, but the weak minded will believe him if it supports their agenda.

Of course Jeff Sessions is FAAAAAR more trustworthy and would never lie to push an agenda. Right? After all he's a Trump supporter and as we know Trump supporters can do no wrong.

The fact that you ignore California’s blatant middle finger to U.S. immigration laws is telling.

Why should I talk about or acknowledge something that wasn't pointed out in the article in the OP? Sounds like a whataboutism to me.
edit on 13-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

(post by camain removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Another swamp creature down the drain.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

So I guess it would be your position that Oakland's mayor did not act irresponsible? I guess we should expect this in the age of spin.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Good.

If he isn’t onboard to do his job 100% then he needs to go.

Obviously he is an Obama holdover.

COme on man...should we not demand that the people we pay do their best to be truthful with us?

This is an instance of someone not feeling the propaganda is worth a paycheck...we should appreciate that. Its not a condemnation on Sessions insomuch as a condemnation on the Federal Government gifting themselves the authority to lie to us.

Although Sessions is by far the biggest turd in DC at the moment.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I like how you insult anyone who doesn't agree with your narrative. Exactly like a typical liberal ass- hole would. I gave my experience, because I have seen it on both sides. Overstaying a college visa, having to go back, wait, then coming in legally. As well as doing it legally to begin with.

I haven't insulted you. If you feel insulted by what I said then you have overly thin skin or were looking to be insulted so you could insult me instead.

So, since you decided to attack like a moron, and push your agenda. Let me do the same.

I just cut the rest of your post and didn't read it since you are trying to turn this thread into a mud pit post.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I don't disagree with you on this. However wasn't it Obama who legalized the ability to spread propaganda to the American people? Just playing devil's advocate. Everyone knows politicians suck, so why hold them to a high standard? Again just devils advocate
. I don't actually disagree with your argument, I just think its hard to actually get decent folks elected when everyone is bought in paid for somehow.

Camain

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I don't disagree with you on this. However wasn't it Obama who legalized the ability to spread propaganda to the American people? Just playing devil's advocate. Everyone knows politicians suck, so why hold them to a high standard? Again just devils advocate
. I don't actually disagree with your argument, I just think its hard to actually get decent folks elected when everyone is bought in paid for somehow.

Camain

No. It was Congress. Under a Bush White House.

I think its hard to get decent folks elected when we have domestic spying approved. Even before Smith Mundt was repealed, the FBI was well known to keep files on Americans.

The US government is consistent. Even with changes in party leading the government, the government itself is consistent. I have to think this is due, at least in part, with the unelected establishment having some leverage to exert over who does and does not make it through the "vetting process".

The folks we elect are simply a public facing element to a government that is, for the most part, operating outside of our view.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

You notice he said the number was wrong but didn’t give the ‘acurate’ Number? Didn’t correct the record, just gave a BS political statement that people can match into without thinking and get emotional over

That was my initial thought too.

If he is so absolutely certain that the numbers are wrong then he must have access to the actual numbers, in which case, if he feels so very strongly about honest and full disclosure, he could, would and ought to have, published them.

Without the data to back it up, it does look a bit like political grandstanding.

This kind of thing irritates me really. If the figures are being manipulated and lies are being told then I would imagine the vast majority of people (aside from the diehard loonies) would welcome the full and frank disclosure of the facts and the evidence. Instead we almost always get half a tale, vague and unsubstantiated accusations and a load of obfuscation.

Just give us the damn facts for once and let people figure it out for themselves...

Ffs...
edit on 13-3-2018 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

No, that achievement goes to Adam Shiff

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join