It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing reaches handshake agreement on Air Force One recapitalization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This is not about the politics, or Trump. I don't care about either. It has been unofficially announced that Boeing has reached a handshake agreement to cap the new Air Force One program at $3.9B. That cost includes all current and previous contracts that have been awarded.

This cost will include the cost of two aircraft that were built for Transaero and put into storage, as well as modifications required by the Air Force to convert the aircraft, including communications gear, and self defense systems, as well as interior.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
This is not about the politics, or Trump. I don't care about either. It has been unofficially announced that Boeing has reached a handshake agreement to cap the new Air Force One program at $3.9B. That cost includes all current and previous contracts that have been awarded.

This cost will include the cost of two aircraft that were built for Transaero and put into storage, as well as modifications required by the Air Force to convert the aircraft, including communications gear, and self defense systems, as well as interior.

www.defensenews.com...

Hi Zaph. Knowing you know what you do, do you think that's good value or are they cutting corners for what's "needed"?

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: expatwhite

That's right about where it should be capped. Most of that is modification cost. With Boeing's track record on recent programs, both civilian and military, they'd easily go past $5B if it isn't capped.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'd love to know what self-defense systems these planes will have (or have historically had). I know many of them will not be public knowledge, but one can be curious

What happens with "retired" Air Force One planes? Do they get scrapped for metal and materials or???

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

They usually go to museums.

They're actually surprisingly open about some of the systems. In 2012 they upgraded some systems. They have ALQ-204 IRCM systems around the APU exhaust, and on each engine pylon, AAQ-24 DIRCM under the tail just below the APU exhaust, and forward under the curve of the fuselage, and AAR-54 (V) missile warning systems. As well as standard chaff and flare dispensers.

They're less open about actual EW systems that are installed.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
So I take it that the 3rd airframe option has been dropped? Shame really as now they wont have an ops spare when one goes into heavy maintenance periodically.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

They'll keep doing what they do now and swap out a C-32, C-40 or C-37 based on where they're heading.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

The only time I've ever seen a presidential C-40 in the flesh was when one buzzed me when I was doing airwork practice with

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

The 89th MAW operates out of Andrews and flies everyone in DC when they travel. They aren't necessarily presidential, although they all have a similar paint job. They operate under the Special Air Missions umbrella.

new topics

top topics

join