It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for comprehensive common sense cell phone control legislation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: agentblue

People don't believe in personal responsibility anymore, so they're afraid of taking risks. That's why Americans want the government to pass "comprehensive common sense" laws that allow them to wipe our asses for us.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Let me be clear. I am not advocating to ban ALL cell phones. Only those phones that allow rapid texting while driving. There is no place for those on our roads. Everyone could live with a cell phone that can only send one character per minute at that point in time. We are not trying to take away all of your phones. Only to regulate the ones that kill indiscriminately.

I repeat, I AM NOT TRYING TO TAKE AWAY ALL YOUR CELL PHONES.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I have a better idea. Let's just ban stupidity in the free sector of society. Give everyone an IQ test, and those under a certain threshold become slaves to those with higher IQs. That way less stupid crap happens.
edit on 24-2-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Andy Kauffman would be proud!!! Omg you are an epic ninja assassin at this argumentation game!!!! You have skills bro! I am totally digging the Nancy Pelosi type debates!! I feel you seething with your sarcasm and it dripping to the floor of hot lava! I am totally feeling a need to watch the Jim carrey movie “man on the moon”! a reply to: Krakatoa

edit on 24-2-2018 by agentblue because: Andy Kauffman reference

edit on 24-2-2018 by agentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The killing spree has been going on a long time. Here are some stats for 2010, which shows 16,000 deaths directly related to this death machine.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Drivers distracted by talking or texting on cell phones killed an estimated 16,000 people from 2001 to 2007, U.S. researchers reported on Thursday.

“Since roughly 2001-2002, texting volumes have increased by several hundred percent,” Wilson said in a telephone interview. In 2002, 1 million texts were sent every month; this rose to 110 million in 2008.

“Since 2001 our model predicts that about 16,000 people have died since then that we attribute to the increase in texting volume in the United States.”

Just talking on a cell phone can distract a driver, and several studies have demonstrated that, even with a hands-free device. But Wilson said texting and using so-called smart phones that provide e-mail access and other distracting applications take the problem to a new level.

Source: Talking to death: texts, phones kill 16,000: study

How long will we sit idle while innocent people are needlessly killed. We see that stats, we know it is a problem, yet after almost 2 DECADES nothing has been done to regulate this death machine.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
In the UK, it is illegal to hold a phone while driving. If you haven't got that law, it would be a start.

Several cities in the metro Atlanta area have also passed that law: it is illegal to even hold/use your phone while driving unless an emergency (911) call. Of course, it also illegal to text and drive in Georgia.

I'm sure other local municipalities around the country have done the same.

Not that that has stopped anyone, it just adds revenue.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

In the UK, it is illegal to hold a phone while driving. If you haven't got that law, it would be a start.

Several cities in the metro Atlanta area have also passed that law: it is illegal to even hold/use your phone while driving unless an emergency (911) call. Of course, it also illegal to text and drive in Georgia.

And yet, there are still deaths. It is time for stronger controls over these devices. Time to ban certain assault models that can send texts faster than is really needed. Only the military and police need to communicate that quickly. Seriously, how many people TRULY NEED to be connected 24x7, and communicate that quickly while driving. I say it's time to stop the madness.

It is time......past time for REAL action.

edit on 2/24/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Cell phone manufacturers should be held libel for every death.

Bad analogy.

Cell phones aren't what directly causes the deaths, they simply create the distraction due to negligence. Plus, cell phones aren't designed to kill.

Should we hold hold women in short skirts liable for the injury sustained by car wrecks?

Or...
edit on 24-2-2018 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Bad analogy.

Cell phones aren't what directly causes the deaths, they simply create the distraction due to negligence. Plus, cell phones aren't designed to kill.

Should we hold hold women in short skirts liable for the injury sustained by car wrecks?

Or...

No hold the driver responsible because allowing themselves to be distracted is the problem.
So why hold guns and responsible gun owners as liable for the crimes committed by others?

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I am surprised that phones do not have processing that determines the phone is moving above some threshold speed that then prevents it from communicating. Since the FCC has zapped net neutrality maybe they can work on that one.

edit on 2/24/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

And yet, there are still deaths. It is time for stronger controls over these devices. Time to ban certain assault models that can send texts faster than is really needed. Only the military and police need to communicate that quickly. Seriously, how many people TRULY NEED to be connected 24x7, and communicate that quickly while driving. I say it's time to stop the madness.

It is time......past time for REAL action.

LOL, I see what you did there. Absurdism.

The device itself (the cellphone) is not the direct cause the death, nor is its function directly related to death.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Time to ban certain assault models that can send texts faster than is really needed.

Word on the street is that if you wrap a rubber band around the phone...

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Bad analogy.

Or...

No hold the driver responsible because allowing themselves to be distracted is the problem.
So why hold guns and responsible gun owners as liable for the crimes committed by others?

It's an absurd and inaccurate analogy.

People use guns themselves to directly kill, as guns were designed to kill. People don't use phones to directly kill (if anything it would be the cars), since phones in themselves do not result in death and were not designed to kill.

Pretty simple.

Silly argument.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It's been illegal here to use your phone in the car for maybe 7 yrs now..unless it's via bluetooth.
I think the punishment should first be a bitchslap followed by car impoundment for a week.

What the penalty actually is works out to about $540.00..for a first offence. It used to be $200 but too many weren't getting the message.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Penalty for using your phone while driving should be an automatic 10 year prison sentence, doing hard labor from sun-up to sun-down and nothing but bread to eat and water to drink.

I dodge accidents every single day from these distracted schmucks.

Get 'em off our roads and behind metal bars.

edit on 24-2-2018 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Yup, people here are often too stunned to drive period..never mind while talking or texting.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

dbl post
edit on 24-2-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is why we need Heads Up Displays on windshields.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I'm not sure that would make it any better, fact is when driving a person should be concentrated on driving..it only takes a millisecond for a situation to change.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

My phone doesn’t except texts or calls while I’m driving .. it knows automatically when I’m in motion.. what can be annoying on a long journey but I keep it on still ( the app ). surprised that it’s not used in the USA

edit on 22018fAmerica/ChicagopmSat, 24 Feb 2018 17:36:23 -060039 by nofear39 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join