It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grilled Watermelon... seriously?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Ok you food nuts, I know I've seen some really out there things in the food & cooking forum, but something I just saw on the webz has me intrigued.

Grilled Watermelon? Anyone tried it? Was it slimy and wrong, or did you find it surprisingly good? I thought about it a little, and I am a fan of cooked pineapple (Yes, On pizza) and thought, maybe I'm just thinking if it wrong.

Salted to drain the water, lightly coated in olive oil, grilled till it's slightly charred, then salted and peppered.

Reviews are both sides of the scale, but to me, I think I could dig it, but interested to hear from anyone who has tried it. And lets face it, if people can deep fry ice cream and coke, why not?

or am I delirious with hunger that even a bootlace would make a decent spag bol right now???

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Pickled watermelon rinds can be tasty treats if done correctly.
Apple cider vinegar and McCormick's pickle spice.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I don’t know.....hot watermelon?
Not sure how that would taste but I would try it.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Ooh that sounds interesting. Have the ACV, just need the spice and watermelon. But that sounds tasty !

I pickle a lot of things, haphazardly.. celery, carrot slices... ironically, I'm not a big fan of pickled onions.. :/

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
I don’t know.....hot watermelon?
Not sure how that would taste but I would try it.

Apparently, it's not sweet, but still watermelon. Why I am intrigued. But then, I do have a strange palate.
slightly boiled lettuce in stock, kinda strange. goes well with fried rice. Cheap mans bok choy I guess. lol

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Looks delicious I will definitely try it this summer.

I can actually see doing a grilled fruit kebab with those...

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I had grilled watermelon when I lived in Texas. It's good.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

Ooh that sounds interesting. Have the ACV, just need the spice and watermelon. But that sounds tasty !

I pickle a lot of things, haphazardly.. celery, carrot slices... ironically, I'm not a big fan of pickled onions.. :/
Pickled brussell-sprouts are of the Devil.
It tastes like pickled fart.
I know an old man that loves them.
I couldn't even swallow it.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
If my memory serves me right, I think one of the members here had a thread about this thing.
I want to say that it was BFFT.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Seared Honeydew melon ,with a drizzle of lemon juice, and sea salt

Wrapped in bacon

edit on 21-2-2018 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I love cold watermelon so much,I can’t imagine eating it any other way. ( I keep watermelon cut up in the fridge for easy snacking). I may enjoy it grilled but it would never compare to the thirst quenching cold slices from the fridge.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Bleh. Guess mine weren't done correctly.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mike Stivic
a reply to: badw0lf

Looks delicious I will definitely try it this summer.

I can actually see doing a grilled fruit kebab with those...

Respectfully,
~ meathead

I am thinking I'll try it this weekend. And you know, it was someone commenting on it being on a kebab that piqued my interest !

Great minds, hey !!

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousCitizen
I had grilled watermelon when I lived in Texas. It's good.

That's crazy, I never knew it was even a thing till today.

Cheers for the insight, definitely looking to do this!

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

That's going on the kebab!

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

Pickled brussell-sprouts are of the Devil.
It tastes like pickled fart.
I know an old man that loves them.
I couldn't even swallow it.

lmao, oh man, pickled brussell sprouts...

I like to finely chop them and stir fry them, or broil them till tender in a stew. I can only imagine what they are like pickled.

But now I have two things I must try. Pickled garlic is also good, if you can handle the way they turn bluish-green. At least the way I do them.

Oh but roasted garlic is the best, soft, buttery, sweet, and wards off those pesky vampires and other family members like nothing else lol

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
If my memory serves me right, I think one of the members here had a thread about this thing.
I want to say that it was BFFT.

haha If anyone else would, it'd be him I'm sure. I'll have to check, I didn't search though, but I can imagine a bacon and grilled watermelon concoction being described!!

lol

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Eh, that's not how I pickle mine.

But you have to be careful, if you have carpenter ants anywhere near, the brine is like a serious attractant for them.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Seared Honeydew melon ,with a drizzle of lemon juice, and sea salt

Wrapped in bacon

Hahah
that sounds good to me. I've never thought of adding salt to these things, I know it brings out the flavour, now at least.

honeydew melons are one of the most decadent things I know of.. next to custard apples. and baked pumpkin. I'm seriously jonesing to go shopping right now. and pumpkin seeds, I still have a batch dried out.

you can add bacon to pretty much anything, I'm not super huge on the bacon we have here. It tastes wrong, or my tastes have changed. has a funky taste. but I cannot imagine the people enjoying bacon chips in ice cream, and I used to dip macdonalds fries in the shakes as a kid.

I did hear of a lady, while pregnant, who liked tomato sauce in her tea.
some things are better left to those who know..

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
I love cold watermelon so much,I can’t imagine eating it any other way. ( I keep watermelon cut up in the fridge for easy snacking). I may enjoy it grilled but it would never compare to the thirst quenching cold slices from the fridge.

That's how I was, am.. maybe who knows till I try. I would cut it into chunks for the same reason, and drain the liquid off as a drink.

I'm still getting rumbles wanting to try pickled watermelon rind. that to me, is on a different level. I also love pickled lemon rinds. I can eat lemons like apples though. did I say I have a strange palate?? lol

How strange we grow eating only things that we know, when discarding rinds, of every kind, we throw away delicious things..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join