It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We’ve poisoned our culture we need to start cleaning it up

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Sure do. Vote blue. Get rid of the blood red politicians.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I agree. We have poisoned our culture and our values and our spirit and everything else sacred and righteous. And every friggin "solution" I see proposed is more of the same.

Our "society" has decided they have a right to FORCE their will on others... and especially under color of law at the point of a gun... and then we wonder why kids think it's okay to use a gun on others??? We just need to take a good long look in the mirror and see why.

I don't care if you're a liberal demanding a wedding cake... or if you're a conservative trying to deny same-sex marriages... or any other color or flavor of force and coercion. It's the force which is the problem. And, of course, the punishment. Because by God we're going to make YOU PAY!!! Don't want to bake a cake? We're going to absolutely destroy your lives... You want to smoke a dried plant? We're gonna send you to a hellhole prison!!!

Love is a verb. It requires action. Appropriate action. Loving and kind and compassionate action. Not, "Dammit, you better do what I say or I'm gonna hurt you bad..." That's not love. That's not fair. That's not right. But that's sure as hell what we're telling and showing our kids.

Add to that how screwed up so many people are in the head and heart and soul because of the environmental toxins and pollutants compromising our thought processes and perspective, and you have the recipe for a world gone mad with power.... and of course the violent force needed to amass and enforce that power.

Everyone needs to consider how they contribute to the problem. What do YOU want to force on someone else? Who do YOU want to hurt (punish) for not doing what YOU want?

When we find solutions that respect and honor free will and the sanctity of ALL life, then and only then will we find true solutions.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Sandy Hook was my elightening moment. I cried like a child in my car when I learned about it. I asked my friend, what can we do?

"Nothing", he replied.

I realized he was right.

I realized you both are wrong. Energy follows thought. We certainly can have public policies that change the number of abortions in this country. We certainly can have public policies that reduce the number of mass shootings. Gun regulation is just political. What I don't understand is why bazookas and stinger missiles are illegal and no one complains about this being a curbing of 2nd Amendment rights. But banning automatic rifles is not acceptable? If they go full Monty then they need to be consistent.

I get it that you can't legislate against psychopath. But you don't have to make it as easy as buying bubble gum for the psychopaths to get machine guns.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Respect your mother!

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The problem isn't that you have poisoned your culture it is that it is your culture, built in from the ground up.

The American dream.

Almost a pathological reverence for self-sufficiency.

Help yourself.

Sink or swim.

If you work hard enough then you'll make it.

Every man for himself.

That's at the core of American culture.

You see it all the time on these boards when questions of welfare, healthcare etc are raised; If folks would just work harder, push themselves further, they could do just as well as me. And the flipside; if you don't, you deserve whatever you get.
Why should I pay my hard earned dollars for them?

With a system like that you're going to have (BIG) winners and (TOTAL) losers. It's inevitable.

Nobody likes to lose.

So, imagine then being a perennial loser, with no hope of EVER winning, on the outside, derided and chastised for not living up to the unrealistic and two dimensional expectations of your "fellow countrymen" (haha). Knowing that the only way to garner any respect, to be considered of any worth, you must be "a winner", and knowing too that the game is rigged and you will NEVER be accepted, NEVER be respected and NEVER EVER be "a winner"

And there's your culture. Mine too. And all western nations.

But as with everything, America does it bigger and better.

edit on 15-2-2018 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
It's terribly sad that the NRA have convinced so many of you that 'nothing can be done'.

A lot can be done. Lawmakers and politicians could do a lot.

But they won't. Because they're all being paid millions of dollars by the NRA to sit on their asses, keep quiet, and do absolutely nothing that might harm gun sales.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I think you have some interesting points, even though many people ego's won't allow them to believe they live in, and contribute to a screwed up system.

We are absolutely broken and going into a deeper hole faster than we think.

There are so many factors involved in our instability it's not even funny, and until we start to acknowledge these issues on an individual level, we'll never get to a collective solution.

We only need to look at the top ( Government Chaos ), then we need to look at our own families, then to extended families if the answers start coming back that things are, out of balance, then maybe we should slow the F'-down, and find our center again.

I don't ever remember mass school shootings when at least one parent was actually home years ago to nurture the children they bring into this world. Today it's latch-key, adderall, hot-pocket maybe I'll be home at 8pm children, because our society embraces this madness. It will continue until people take responsibility for how they bring their kids up, and admit there wasn't proper love, attention and nurturing growing up.

If we haven't noticed our society is extremely disconnected. Stop and look around how many people are constantly on their I-phone's, computers, then couple that with sleep, work and everything else, so where do the children fit in?

I can't imagine what the poor families are going through, my condolences, and heart goes out to them.

edit on 15-2-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

If you have 17 children, your irresponsible breeding IS the problem.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Blame the liberals,they have been destroying the US for the last 8 years,don't blame me,I can't stand liberal BS,all self centered,and attention seekers,blame your millenium's don't blame me

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

What makes you think I wasn’t including myself in the statement?

I live by the change starts from within…that’s pretty old and well understood.

You Sir could do better than that

edit on 15-2-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

America is a very violent society. We glorify war, our hero's are violent men, we celebrate the near extermination of the Native Americans, is it any wonder that as a society we resort to brutality and cruelty?

Look at the video games kids play and tell me we don't worship violence.
edit on 15-2-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kocag

It will be as in the day of Noah. The world has a heart problem. God be with you all.

The Universe has a heart problem..along with God.

Unfortunately we here must fix the heart from here...strap on the seatbelts...healing can hurt.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I half agree with you, but we are 180 degrees off on the half I believe I disagree with you on.

"Love" has become a throw away word which has become so overused it has little meaning left in most of these discussions... ironically, "hate" is also so overused that it's now pretty much meaningless.

Want this crap to dramatically reduce? Very simple, but very tough pill to swallow, solution is simply to embrace natural law and allow natural consequences to reign supreme again. Society has removed personal responsibility from life. Humans need to fear the reality of failure often. It is what fuels us to be better, do better, and want better. Let bullied school kids reach their first breaking point and finally use their fists on their bullies, hell , cheer them when they do it! The current position of "violence is never acceptable" the zero tolerance policy, has given us this school shooting phenomenon. Young men MUST be allowed to throw fists, it is hard wired into our DNA... if you refuse to let it happens, crap like school shootings result.

In other areas of society, failures need to be allowed to happen, excuses need to be rejected, consequences need to be as brutal as nature intended... it makes life worth fighting for every single day.

I half agree with you..but natural law is the actual source of the problem.

Interference from abroad is keeping things from evolving..as well.

The natural law is flawed..which allows this...to continue forever without help.

New ways must be attempted to heal the damage and allow us to create that which never was...

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Sure do. Vote blue. Get rid of the blood red politicians.

The blue have become a worse more limited group than the red...no thanks....we do not need more robots with emotion chips that are falsely telling them they know a better way.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Don’t make me start the religion. I work in the underworld…If you make me come up. It won’t be—shall I say-- nice.

I hope I can inspire one of you, my goodness. Maybe I’m tired. I am tired of reading about the precious youths getting slaughtered like animals in those schools. And the others as well. At the movies, the concerts, the mall, the church.

Don’t any of you give a dam.

Or are you all so use to it.

Shall we alert the authorities?

Will you be ok?

Do you need help?

Maybe science can make us bullet proof.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   

I half agree with you, but we are 180 degrees off on the half I believe I disagree with you on.

"Love" has become a throw away word which has become so overused it has little meaning left in most of these discussions... ironically, "hate" is also so overused that it's now pretty much meaningless.

Want this crap to dramatically reduce? Very simple, but very tough pill to swallow, solution is simply to embrace natural law and allow natural consequences to reign supreme again. Society has removed personal responsibility from life. Humans need to fear the reality of failure often. It is what fuels us to be better, do better, and want better. Let bullied school kids reach their first breaking point and finally use their fists on their bullies, hell , cheer them when they do it! The current position of "violence is never acceptable" the zero tolerance policy, has given us this school shooting phenomenon. Young men MUST be allowed to throw fists, it is hard wired into our DNA... if you refuse to let it happens, crap like school shootings result.

In other areas of society, failures need to be allowed to happen, excuses need to be rejected, consequences need to be as brutal as nature intended... it makes life worth fighting for every single day.

Yeah!!!

#restorethenaturalorder!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
Blame the liberals,they have been destroying the US for the last 8 years,don't blame me,I can't stand liberal BS,all self centered,and attention seekers,blame your millenium's don't blame me

Can you take a look at what you wrote and apply the same logic back to your own thoughts?

Liberals aren't the problem, you are the problem, I know you don't understand why I say this because you're thinking "stupid liberal has no idea what he is talking about "

Now if only you could expand your mind past the partisan rhetoric, you may grasp what I'm saying.
edit on 16-2-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Yeah!!!

#restorethenaturalorder!

For the natural balance to be restored, closed minds need to be opened.

I'm curious, do you consider yourself open minded?

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...do tell...Willtell...that’s a quaint thought...a nice sentiment...

Too bad it’s doomed to fail...can’t beat a guy up for trying though...or can I...?

If you can’t seem to grasp how much you’ve been a part of the problem throughout your divisive...dismissive stint here...then no amount of glad handing will excuse that...

You see my friend...change is accomplished on a personal level...individually...
Quite frankly this conversion your experiencing will be amazingly short lived...you’ll revert to your nature either by the end of this thread...or by dusk tomorrow...

I challenge you to prove me wrong...however...I don’t think you have it in you to be an honest arbiter...

Let’s see how quick you are to revert...after the news cycle moves on...after that urge to divide rears it’s ugly head...after that innate desire you husband...to label...to appear smug and superior...overtakes emoting the issue of the day...

I can’t even give you a week...and that’s sad...very sad...

Have you got the requisite strength to take a long hard look in the mirror...?

That’s where the problem lies...that’s where the lie lives...

YouSir

I find your perspective on wills statement there interesting, as I understand it he is saying choose love and you criticize his plea as divisive ....what is it that you think is divisive ?

Ummm...his entire post history over the last two years...that and my observations on human character...

It's not so easy for a tiger to change it's stripes...I was hoping for him to prove me wrong...I really was...

As you can see...his response to my post instead proved me right...

As I also stated...it doesn't make me feel good...just sad...and a bit depressed...

Beneath that veneer we wear on the surface...resides the reality of our nature...the hardest thing we can ever attempt to achieve is to truly change that character...

YouSir

So I take it then you're saying you are judging him by his previous posts over the years and not the message he is attempting to relay in this post .

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join