It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At 54 y/o, just discovering Pink Floyd. Mind blown...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I recently got a hold of all the old Pink Floyd I loved 20 plus years ago. I wonder how I lived without it for so long.

"Narrow Way", "Lucifer Sam", "Flaming", "Bike", "See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne" are some I had missed the most. These older cuts are an acquired taste to be sure, but their genius is undeniable.

I would suggest to work your way up to those more obscure songs, like cult films, you either love them or hate them.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

the signature on my profile is from The Final Cut. It's pretty much a dark album, post WW2 dealing with the scares of Nuclear war with a few epiphanies thrown in. It's a acquired taste, so you may want to let that one rest for a while, until you have a good grasp on The Wall, and it's timeline. The Wall along with The Final Cut are albums you should listen to from start to end, to get the big picture behind the bands genius.

Enjoy the mind ride. Dark room with amazing headsets is a good way to enjoy.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
I think once you start hearing more of their songs you will realize you have heard them alot/

Im pretty sure I heard Floyd in an elevator last week.

Going up, going down, or are you notsure?

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

After blowing out my knee just south of Fallujah in Iraq (I jumped off of a Humvee and landed badly), during the drive back to our FOB my truck's staff sgt (who was now driving) put Pink Floyd's The Wall in our cd player and hit play. Meanwhile I was sitting in the passenger seat and also in between worlds from the drugs they gave me for my knee. Even in the middle of war there is time to explore your mind man.

PS: I saw Roger Waters in DC last summer. GREAT time!
edit on 14-2-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Crosses all kinds of cultures and percieved boundaries.

Hope it is therapeutic for you. 👍

Ed: Forget the bands differences, we still have a branch

Radio Chaos by Roger Waters.

Yes I mentioned this twice ... to stress double importance.

This is a largely unexplored thread. Kudos OP !
edit on 14-2-2018 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Ive been listening to a lot of Cradle of Filth.

cradle of Filth are actually one of the greatest Dark Wave bands in the world. I'll never forget the first time I heard them. changed my life. blew my mind.

I was lucky I discovered them when I did, because it was around that time things were starting to go wrong at work. I don't know what happened, but suddenly people weren't returning my calls. in my strategy meetings people seemed distracted. distant. I couldn't put my finger on it but something was wrong. I'll tell you it was good to have the Filth to come home to after another dissapointing day. cradle of filth, it got me through some pretty bleak times.

try track 4 Coffin Foder. it sounds horrible but it's actually quite beautiful.
edit on 15-2-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Atom Heart Mother.

Watch Live At Pompeii !!!

OMG

You have to eventually get around to Opal and The Madcap Laughs.

You have a great journey in front of you. I'm jealous.

This was my first thought as well..

I am actually jealous there is nothing like listening to pink Floyd for the first time and realizing you thought you understood the world but actually had no idea.

The music surrounds you, then penetrates you, then the lyrics rush through that hole into your body, filling you up with angst,peace and curiosity all at once swirling into a chaotic awakening, culminating in a revolution of the mind.

No drugs necessary..it's that powerful..

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I was in a traffic jam on Tuesday and played Final Cut for the first time in 10 or more years (all because of this thread). I sung along and knew most of the words to some and all the words to the others. Gunner's Dream is still one of their best and hits a nerve each time.

edit on 2.15.2018 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: mtnshredder

Love the dogs barking and the way the sound moves from ear to ear. It's like Roger Waters' 'Pros and Cons' album when you can hear cars in the distance that 'drive' through your head and out the other side.

Dammit. There's a mini PF binge coming today.

They're masters of the studio for sure. The studio is another instrument to them.

The evolution of Floyd was an interesting one. You would never think songs like "See Emily Play" were Floyd when compared to the sound of Floyd in the 70's.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Amen on that

The guys could have gone in a few different directions and been successful in any of them. The one I posted earlier, If, was well-produced and almost 'Wallish' all that time ago. It's like a reject off Cut or Wall.

Dave joining seemed like the catalyst that allowed Rogers to become Rogers. Him leaving then allowed the other members to be what they wanted to be. Hearing 'If' makes me think The Wall was already being produced in his mind years earlier.

Arguably, post-Rogers Floyd haven't had the edginess, but still managed to produce some truly 'Floyd' music.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

There was an advertisement that used to play in movie theatres as part of lead up ads.

It was for the RAAF and featured Pink Floyd's "one of these days".

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Congratulations! You have taken a step into a bigger world!!

Part of the great thing about music is the history. This band has plenty of that. The first album is interesting but I got into them at Meddle. One of These Days is a classic rock version of Bolero (which is a classic classical song that builds to the end of the song).

Wish You Were Here is heartbreaking when you know the history of the band. But from pain comes great art. And you are correct in recognizing that in music that you have not listened to before!!

Getting out of your comfort zone is difficult but you have done that! Awesome!

<< 1  2   >>

join