It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At 54 y/o, just discovering Pink Floyd. Mind blown...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I recently moved to Mexico. Some friends from "back home" (not even sure what that means anymore) came down to visit. We were sitting out in my back yard tonight sipping some margaritas and a bit of 23 year old rum, and I was taking requests from everyone for songs over my Google Play account.

One of my friends said, "Put on some Pink Floyd," so I did a search and clicked on Wish You Were Here.

My mind is blown.

I grew up on old country music. Don Williams, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens and the like were my musical mainstays. I never ventured into any kind of rock BITD. Over the last decade, I'd heard a little bit of Pink Floyd and I 'd realized that these guys were special (I intuitively understood that pretty much every album they did was a concept album), but I'd never really listened to them. As we sat chatting with Wish You Were Here in the background ... Well, I can't say what happened, but I realized I was in the presence of something amazing.

It was too much to absorb just sitting out there in the back yard. I have a new life ambition: One day soon, I will drive into the mountains with the digital files of the album and my Bose SoundLink speaker, and spend a night in a dark valley under a moonless, starlit sky with this album playing. No drugs. I don't need them. The music is narcotic enough.

I can't wait. Heading off to bed now, so I won't be here for the next few hours, but I'll come back to chat in the morning.

:
edit on 2018 2 12 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Your life must have sucked on that deserted island you lived on! Welcome, to the machine!! If you smoke, roll one and enjoy the incredible journey that is Pink
Floyd!

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Since you've only now realized Pink Floyd, your life begin!

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

That's crazy. Pink Floyd was the first music I ever heard as a kid. Now I have a problem with walls, machines, and/or politicians.

Welcome to the universe.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
When you're ready to take it up a notch watch "The Wizard of Oz" in sync from beginning to end with Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side of the Moon".

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Wait til you see dark side of the moon sinq'd with the wizard of Oz

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Dark side of the Moon was my first 4 channel quadraphonic album . I think I had paid 70 bucks for it at the time .Best album ever made .

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Welcome my son Welcome to the machine.........

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Now you need to expand your mind and watch the wall.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Atom Heart Mother.

Watch Live At Pompeii !!!

OMG

You have to eventually get around to Opal and The Madcap Laughs.

You have a great journey in front of you. I'm jealous.

edit on 13-2-2018 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Maybe you smoked a joint for the first time that day too?

Jk..

Well good you discovered them. Iā€™m jealous, you get to hear their stuff for the first time. Dark side of the Moon is a good place to start.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   

You sir, are in for a treat. Wait until you get into the bootleg back catalogue too. Echoes played with saxophone. Green Is The Colour and Fat Old Sun. Sam Brown killing Great Gig. Pompeii!

If only MiB memory wipers existed! I would wipe out every Pink Floyd memory just to be able to start from fresh.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I think once you start hearing more of their songs you will realize you have heard them alot/

Im pretty sure I heard Floyd in an elevator last week.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I was in college when I first heard "Hey You". I ended up listening to it for hours then ended up buying most of their albums. I won't pretend that I like all of their songs, but their classics are absolute masterpieces. "Time", "Us & Them", "Money", "Comfortably Numb", etc.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I'm the same way with Nirvana. I don't even know who she is.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

What ??? What??? What ???? No Pink Floyd ?

BTW - you forgot Charlie Pride

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Buy a blue ray of the wall.

When you are ready , buy Roger Waters " Radio Chaos "

Look forward to hearing from you in a couple of years.

šŸ˜Ž
edit on 13-2-2018 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Take a few shots of that 23 year old rum and watch 'The Wall.'
You won't regret it.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   
This album with a set of headphones is a religious experience. My personal fave of Floyd's and some of Gilmore's best guitar work IMO.

Oh, BTW which one's Pink?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Love the dogs barking and the way the sound moves from ear to ear. It's like Roger Waters' 'Pros and Cons' album when you can hear cars in the distance that 'drive' through your head and out the other side.

Dammit. There's a mini PF binge coming today.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join