It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Wood Could Replace Steel

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
One of the best things about timber is the beauty of the grain.
What does the grain look like after compression.
Story talks about holes and dents filling in when squashed.

edit on 10-2-2018 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
See the coal fission bomb story about solar cells getting so much in return that it has killed coal??

These stories keep you from realizing that the tech is already figured out!!

This is trickle economics at it’s worst!

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
My first thought was building a guitar out of it.
I sent them an email.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

.....Super clear paper for replacing plastic.....

They need to make this happen immediately!

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
wow
i swear the world just keeps getting weirder the more i wake up

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
with this stuff we could build a wall in spaces

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Maybe Elon Musk will use it to build his next rocket ship. I wonder how it would stand up to cosmic termites they are persistent critters. a reply to: dfnj2015

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism
Very interesting but I'll take the role of cynic. There is nothing we humans discover or manipulate that doesn't have negative side effects that cause larger problems than the original ones they were intended to solve.

/cynic

Funny... I thought that was common sense...

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

No it's not common sense at all, it's gross negativity for negativity sake.... And not even close to true to boot!

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Huh, I made a species in a sci-fi rpg that pretty much had wood based super tech and developed techniques to build entire ships and more. Is fun seeing their tech being developed in real life.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
When I first saw this it made me think of the Roswell crash debris and someone who in a documentary stated that some of the pieces were like balsa wood but extremely strong and couldn't be cut with a razor blade or broken by force.

Not that this IS the same, but it is an interesting thought.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: gimcrackery
Maybe Elon Musk will use it to build his next rocket ship. I wonder how it would stand up to cosmic termites they are persistent critters. a reply to: dfnj2015

Musk will only build it if the tax payers subsidize it.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

No pictures in the link!

Nevertheless thanks for sharing!
This is excellent news because I find it interesting, and I Really needed something interesting right now. I was Super bored for like, almost 20 whole seconds. Yeah, I know...i almost died.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

You know...

This is a really interesting observation and thought on so many levels. Large scale bulk nanocellulose, especially if we could "3d print it" in a process where the different formulations and additives etc could be tailored on the fly layer by layer like MIT is doing with the multifab, would make for a super badass material for building spacecraft parts from!

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

While I know exactly what you're talking about and totally share your frustration in many ways, I've started looking at Elon Musk as someone who's covertly on the side of conservatives and the country as a whole.

I say that because he has tricked liberals into actually supporting a bunch of stuff that is good for America like American manufacturing, American onshore r&d, maintaining American technical superiority, and even got liberals to be interested in maybe spending some of our tax dollars on supporting and revamping our critical infrastructure!

The people who support Musk would make sure that the money which currently goes to him gets spent either way, at least with Musk it's not being ENTIRELY blown on stupid and or actually destructive to the country it's citizens and their way of life bulls***!

Which is EXACTLY what these people would want to spend it on otherwise!

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Funny, that is the very first thing I thought!

Then I remembered something on Antonio de Torres -other then a master musician- was a Luthier. He made a guitar that had a solid, softwood top; but the body and back, were made from Papier-mache...

I used to believe the actual tone of a guitar is a relationship (I can't believe I am saying that way) between the soft, top wood, and the (in most cases) hardwood back/sides.... Of course remove the problems that come from what the glue, or cell structure, or grain alignment, age of tree, and the skill of the builder, introduce.

...that was mentioned to me as I sat and tapped my fingers of wood for hours trying to find the perfect top...

Now, after I have built a few, played a few, and owned a few... I really can't say. My Resonator is loud, and made from Bell Brass dipped in Nichol - from China. My Classical is Japanese, made from Cedar, and Plywood Fire Mahogany Laminated... She sounds better then most handmade guitars, including my own builds. Truthfully, I still can't tell the difference between Mahogany and Spanish Cedar, unless under a microscope.

I wonder what a Resonator would (pun intended) sound like made from that stuff? Loud and light... The one thing I hate about my resonator - weighs 25 pounds.

Oh man - a cigar box guitar - made from all paper.

Okay - now my mind is effectively blown!

edit on 11-2-2018 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Paper thin Ski's... Surfboards. Sailboats! Wonder what it would be like using Bamboo, or Box Elder - they grow like weeds... You can bend wood like a rubber band if you leave it in Ammonia Gas - but - it can kill you gassing out.... mold virtually anything combining these processes - as long as they are painted it indicates; Wonder about machining it, cutting it?

edit on 11-2-2018 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Newt22
a reply to: skunkape23

Funny, that is the very first thing I thought!

Then I remembered something on Antonio de Torres -other then a master musician- was a Luthier. He made a guitar that had a solid, softwood top; but the body and back, were made from Papier-mache...

I used to believe the actual tone of a guitar is a relationship (I can't believe I am saying that way) between the soft, top wood, and the (in most cases) hardwood back/sides.... Of course remove the problems that come from what the glue, or cell structure, or grain alignment, age of tree, and the skill of the builder, introduce.

...that was mentioned to me as I sat and tapped my fingers of wood for hours trying to find the perfect top...

Now, after I have built a few, played a few, and owned a few... I really can't say. My Resonator is loud, and made from Bell Brass dipped in Nichol - from China. My Classical is Japanese, made from Cedar, and Plywood Fire Mahogany Laminated... She sounds better then most handmade guitars, including my own builds. Truthfully, I still can't tell the difference between Mahogany and Spanish Cedar, unless under a microscope.

I wonder what a Resonator would (pun intended) sound like made from that stuff? Loud and light... The one thing I hate about my resonator - weighs 25 pounds.

Oh man - a cigar box guitar - made from all paper.

Okay - now my mind is effectively blown!

The idea of a wood resonator never crossed my mind. I say it's worth a try.
I always thought aluminum, a very soft metal, was a poor choice, but it is cheap and easy to form.
A cigar box with a paper mache resonator? Has that been done?
I have a Dobro hound dog. I like it, but there is room for improvement.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Unless they can grow the wood under controlled cheap conditions nobody is really helped with this new "wood".

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

Sure they are... Nanocellulose would be a pretty ideal material for making ply based structures etc out of.

This is all technology we're pretty good at at this point.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join