It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ice chunk falling from sky, almost smashing into pedestrians in Kew, England

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
An ice chunk, the size of a boulder nearly misses a pedestrian in Kew, England.
Most likely a toilet bomb from a passing plane, but far out there is the possibility of cometary ice.
The people were stunned, but just walked away from it. I would have just had to go over and see it (smell it?), and if looked pristine, take a sample.

Li nky and video from FOX

There have been a few of those this past few weeks.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Can't be a meterorite. It wouldn't have survived atmospheric entry. Pure iron meteorites have it hard surviving entry, I would expect ice to pretty much blow up into a thin molecule gas.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
A KEW hits Kew! How poetic!

Glad no one had to wear it as a hat.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

At least it wasn't a body this time.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Can't be a meterorite. It wouldn't have survived atmospheric entry. Pure iron meteorites have it hard surviving entry, I would expect ice to pretty much blow up into a thin molecule gas.

Well aware, I study them. Ice can certainly make it to the ground after the bolide explodes and what is in the center falls at terminal velocity. Very rare, but it happens, and can happen.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Hmm, so the exterior of the bolid shields the ice within from friction.

I haven't realized this possibility, thanks for the info.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Probably water thar froze on a vent on the bottom of a plane. They can get pretty big, especially if there's a leak and the water doesn't stop.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It reference to my last post I do wonder sometimes just how many bodies have fallen from the undercarriage especially at airports where you descend over countryside

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Hmm, so the exterior of the bolid shields the ice within from friction.

I haven't realized this possibility, thanks for the info.

That is the theory. They are suspected to be huge conglomerates of chondrites mixed with water and methane. That is why it should always be tested. Again, extremely rare, but there are so many incidents out there that have astrophysicists scratching heads, because most believe the shock wave of hitting the atmosphere would vaporize ice, but it all depends upon the speed and trajectory and how large the main mass was.

It is suspected that comets brought almost all of Earth's water, after the planet started to cool down from the nebulae.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I don't think it came from a plane toilet. It's not blue and no solids appear evident as it shatters.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

So in theory there could already be alien lifeforms that have evolved here from ice in comets?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I would agree statistically. It has happened so many times.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

There's a sink drain that vents out the bottom too.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510

So in theory there could already be alien lifeforms that have evolved here from ice in comets?

The contamination factor has so far nullified any tests that were done, however they had found amino acids and methane, which are certainly precursors/by-products of life.
edit on 9-2-2018 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
And I got upset yesterday when a bird pooped on me (it's true, I washed my jacket twice). I can't imagine being nearly taken out by a chunk of ice. Even icicles kill from low heights. Maybe it was some kind of atmospheric condition?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: C84K2

That's apparently lucky that mate

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Here is a rather cool synopsys of old and recent ice falls.
Ice falls in history Credits: Thoughtco.com

Most of these would certainly kill you if you were unlucky enough to be under them. The largest was 440lbs !!!

edit on 9-2-2018 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
On the extreme far end of believability spectrum, are the Italian scientists that think that Tunguska was a giant exploding ice bomb (reason for hardly any debris in the forest), but the main bolide actually hit the ground and created lake Cheko, downrange, 8 miles away. Fun reading and speculation for one of the most spectacular meteor explosions in recent history.

Tanguska mystery abounds Courtesy:RBTH

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I was reading that most of these ice bombs usually occur far from air traffic routes...

I'd think a big enough chunk of space ice might make it to ground ... but suspect it's too hot for that.

That leaves what... secret aircraft or teleporting ice? Or ice forming on the supports for the terrarium?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
I don't think it came from a plane toilet. It's not blue and no solids appear evident as it shatters.

Me neither. That would be a helluva pee.

Maybe a pissorite but too white for a sh!torite anyway.
edit on 9-2-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join