It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists warn of unusually cold Sun: Will we face another ice age?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
A study out of California saying global warming, the usual pith cast as the danger to the children, maybe the exact opposite. Yes the study is from California (bye bye grant $$) and cold could be the new catastrophe.

A study by the University of California San Diego has claimed that by 2050, the Sun is expected to become cool. You might think "what's the big deal," but remember that this means the solar activities that create the heat of the Sun to sustain life on Earth may diminish. And the last time it happened was in the 17th Century, when the Thames River froze. Scientists call this the "Maunder Minimum".

Physicist Dan Lubin and his global warming denying team's study finds that the sun may very well dim (again) and cool the earth. The sun is expected to dim to a "grand minimum". Much dimmer than in the 17th century.

Physicist Dan Lubin at the university and his team studied the past event and concluded that were are in for a worse case. The Sun is expected to get much dimmer than last time and, in scientific terms, it is a "grand minimum" -- a time period in the 11-year solar cycle when the solar activities are at the lowest point. at the university and his team studied the past event and concluded that were are in for a worse case. The Sun is expected to get much dimmer than last time and, in scientific terms, it is a "grand minimum" -- a time period in the 11-year solar cycle when the solar activities are at the lowest point.
www.ibtimes.co.in...

Unlike the 100% accuracy of the global warming science that we all know is beyond reproach, predicting a solar minimum is a challenge. (there is some sarcasm)

However, predicting a solar minimum or maximum is a challenge to scientists because of the non-linear characteristic of solar activities that happens every day. During a minimum cycle, though solar cycles still occur, the intensity is very low, while during a maximum cycle, solar flares go up and sun spews out billion-ton clouds of electrified gas into space. These two extremes can bring about some major global and regional climate changes.

With the current tech, I believe we will be growing our spinach in vertical gardens and our meat will be printed. That is a major energy savings, and keeping the "eaters" bellies full ensures that the real owners are safe and sound to continue their honorable quests. Also keeping warm maybe the challenge. But I would imagine the "new" farming tech will more than make up for the increase demand for energy for heat.

edit on 9-2-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Not new. The Maunder Minimum has been known and predicted to occur for decades now. The prediction for when it will happen changes as the science becomes more refined and will probably change again in the future.
edit on 9-2-2018 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I usually take studies like these with a grain a salt. These are, simply put, predictions.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The sun's energy output is not constant over time. This has been known for years, but even today few appreciate the significance of it. Even among climate change scientists, who you would think would be the most aware of it.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
Not new. The Maunder Minimum has been known and predicted to occur for decades now. The prediction for when it will happen changes as the science becomes more refined and will probably change again in the future.

Wow, your statement sounds like the predictions Al Gore makes about global warming. Wrong, changing, forget the old predictions and go with the new ones.

Global climate change is impossible to predict, and is a cycle that the earth has gone through before.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I read this article and was going to post it but you beat me to it. The funny part in all of this is that human activity, which is said to be warming the Earth, may actually save us from getting too cold if indeed there is a cool down.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

In other words they don't know what they don't know?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

There is no room in the climate change debate for logic.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

You post an article with a prediction and criticise me for sounding like al gore because I point out there have already been predictions.

You sound like Al Gore who had his thunder stolen.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

In other words they don't know what they don't know?

They know it will happen there is uncertainty of when it will happen.

It is like we know Yellowstone will erupt one day as for when it is still an educated guess. BTW they say it is overdue.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
May be the Liberals built their giant space mirror and cured global warming....
Oops, not global warming...climate change...there, that covers it

Al gore was a C student in college....color me shocked he had no idea how to interpret scientific datums or techniques....

Anyhow, I don’t need him or sundial expert Bill Nye (also no post grad) to lecture me on the climate...

Give us the data and let us decide...

On second thought, don’t....NOAA has become a political agency with about the same credibility as James Cameron when it comes to oceanic matters...

-Chris

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

totally disagree

Al Gore has said, this bad thing will happen, but if you give me money and my friends money and votes, we can resist and save the earth.

This post is about, this is going to happen, and no matter what/whom you donate/vote for, nothing will change this fact.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Disagree, I posted in the thread that the global cooling is difficult to predict, unlike the settled science of global warming or newly coined climate change.

Try again.

edit on 9-2-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Not sure how they predict an historical event that took place over 300 years ago.
The Maunder Minimum is the name of a specific minimum. There have been other solar minimums(with different names) and the next one will be named something other than 'Maunder'.
Maunder Minimum

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

There is no room in the climate change debate for logic.

Using logic? What's wrong with me?! lol

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

It is perfectly right and high handed to 100% believe in climate change/global warming.

It is 100% bonkers to believe anything other than the media pushed profitable climate change/global warming.

You and I are bonkers.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Why do you think Al Gore went environmental when he really wasn't before being vice president? In that seat you get briefed the same as the president, the president however is commander in chief ahead of all military so thats where his focus sits as the vice president gets briefed on what threatens the nation from other sources and if the president goes down in line of duty, then the vice president is even more up to speed than both, then theres secretary of state which knows the vice presidents stuff and what the political climate is they move into that role then learn what the vice president did of the presidents affairs as now they are the new vice president...

compartmentalization do you think the entire eight years Gore was in office he was misbriefed on climate affairs? After office it struck him as so important he continued, as many do after leaving office. Obama has made it his mission with Mr. Holder to clean up districting and gerrymandering of voting so all states have fair voting and not a rigged map for better representation. This is why there is so much Russia collusion news to have a turn about face to the world stage in the broader threat to democracy than what those two are doing at home to work on this side of the borders issues... attacking it on both fronts...

Once one sees how government actually works it is not that complex... to many it isnt that complex anyway just argue and yell that your team is best and in such a manner you create that much needed smoke screen that hides issues that need to be addressed with a bunch of nonsense that doesnt help people actually see them... so no one really knows whats going on in the world affairs of politics that needs to be known... like here's Kim K's ass again as a distraction to what really matters, the lesson is: don't be Kim K's ass.
edit on 9-2-2018 by BEBOG because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

They have been talking about this for a decade or more now, and of course, in almost every case, the caveat was that it won't stop the warming.
First off, just to look in the direction of the Sun, it's not hard to see how pale and insipid looking it has become these last decades or so, it used to be a warm yellow to red, now it's more like an LED bulb, and while I allow for atmosphere and pollution that can deepen the colour more so in some places than others.

The Cold Sun: Why The Climate Catastrophe Won’t HappenGWPF

"Date: 08/02/12
For years he promulgated the IPCC’s key message. Now, the former environment senator and manager Fritz Vahrenholt has had a change of heart. In this interview, he explains his change of opinion.
Vahrenholt: Yes, I was an active supporter of the CO2 theory. But then I had two pivotal moments that have inspired me to reassess my position.
In his new book “The Cold Sun. Why the climate catastrophe will not happen,” Professor Fritz Vahrenholt, former environment senator and CEO of RWE Innogy, outlines his thesis that global warming will be significantly less substantial than previously thought. By the end of the century, he believes, there will be just an increase of one degree Celsius. The influence of the sun on the Earth’s climate, however, has been significantly underestimated until now."
Below is the link to the above, search out the heading underlined above, and click on the cached button.

www.google.co.uk... r&dcr=0&ei=asx9Wt_HKcvwgAaN0rLwBQ

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Just throwing my two cents in. If this is right, then we won't have to wait till 2050. Something like the sun cooling won't be instantaneous it will start well before that.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
History of the earth repeats itself,so yes we will have another ice age I'm sure,amongst a bunch of other things that happened before,not much can be done to stop it,if anything

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join