It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the New Gerber's Baby

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't get the big deal here. He's a baby. He's absolutely adorable. Seems like a reasonable choice for Gerber to make.

That said, to your larger political point...i do appreciate that quite a bit. I just wish that we really walked the walk when it comes to valuing life. I value this young mans life as much as I value some random stranger living in the middle east. I want both to live, and to find happiness.

Recently there was an article, and an ATS thread calling attention to it, that said that Iceland was achieving very low rates of Down Syndrome children through medical intervention.

Although the article was not worded particularly clearly, the medical intervention was not some sort of advanced 'cure' for Down Syndrome (which still occurs there rather randomly at the same rates as it does for other countries), but was by termination in utero.

Considering the usual mildness of Down Syndrome, from a viewpoint of the quality of life of sufferers and their carers (i.e: mental retardation is usually mild, with some of the affected even attending university, and generally they are happy and pleasant people), this is an abhorrent example of the worst practice of eugenics.

I applaud Gerbers for their inclusiveness. He appears to be a beautiful child.

edit on 8/2/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Bravo Gerber and the parents!

The way we are heading, the idea of infanticide being acceptable has gone entirely out of control. If it continues a couple of generations from now, nurseries in hospitals will be like killing fields when killing a newborn with a defect will be SOP.

Some day soon, we may be able to fix genetic problems in the womb, then there will be no need to abort for such reasons.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Woodcarver

Here's the thing - My husband was adopted as a baby as were two of my nephews, clearly, no one makes a person keep a baby they don't want.

Maybe if it were easier for parents who want children to adopt, there would less of this assumption that getting pregnant means getting saddled/punished with a child.

As it stands, husband and I would like to adopt, but there is so much red tape. We followed a friend of my husband's in his and his wife's quest to adopt and it was neverending quest of over a year to satisfy the state.
props to the state for not handing babies off to unqualified people.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I used to look after this teenager with downs, he was hilarious.

He would to go out to the shops on his todd then get a bit tired and bored and would pretend to have a fit in the road so that the police would taxi him home. Worked every time.

We, as in some of the staff, used to call him Fitzpatrick, which he used to love. I still write to him.

Learning disability ? possibly.
Stupid ? what do you think.

He has such a gentle, fun and assuming nature which would have been a loss to the world.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

"Undesired babies". Yeah, just murder them. What a #ty world we live in. If you don't want a kid, don't make one.
I have no unwanted kids. I would personally not want to abort any child. I just think that other people should have a choice. Their reasons are their reasons. And my opinion about this does not matter and should not be a factor in such a life changing decision. I don’t want you or the government to deny them that choice.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

Cruelty? How? If a baby is born with downs and they know nothing else how is that cruel? Do you believe the same for deaf or blind babies or ones missing limbs etc? You think it's cruel because you know life with limbs and eyes etc. They dont, and perhaps they posses something unique that you and I will never know. It's extremely self righteousness to think the way you are, even if your intentions are good.

Yes I think it's cruel to bring a baby into the world knowing that they will face huge challenges in their lives.
Having a baby you know will be in a wheelchair is cruel to me.
Downs is the same.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

That's great and all but I doubt you would say the same if you witnessed your neighbor murder someone for their "reasons".

That's why abortion will always be controversial. Some people swear it isn't murder and claim babies have no rights, while others claim the opposite.

It wouldn't matter either way if people who didn't want kids took steps to not create them in the first place.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Cruelty? How? If a baby is born with downs and they know nothing else how is that cruel? Do you believe the same for deaf or blind babies or ones missing limbs etc? You think it's cruel because you know life with limbs and eyes etc. They dont, and perhaps they posses something unique that you and I will never know. It's extremely self righteousness to think the way you are, even if your intentions are good.

Yes I think it's cruel to bring a baby into the world knowing that they will face huge challenges in their lives.
Downs is the same.

Well that's wonderful you are so self righteous to think you have a right to tell someone without YOUR own pysical qualities that they would be better off dead. Great job!
edit on 8-2-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Why discriminate? Abort all babies.

No, no, we can't do that. There's an incredible shortage of babies in the world!

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Downs is the same.

Well that's wonderful you are so self righteous to think you have a right to tell someone without YOUR own pysical qualities that they would be better off dead. Great job!

Do you not see your own self-righteousness in your posts?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I would never abort a child. I think its an atrocity. That said, i keep my nose out of other peoples business. So to each their own.

But the justification that its cruel to allow a disabled child to be born is something that I disagree with. I know many disabled people, and could never tell them that they are cursed, or that they should feel that their disability is dehumanizing (inhumane).

I agree with you...that boy is adorable. The blushed cheeks and nose is angelic.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Downs is the same.

No, I dont. It isn't up to me to choose who has a right to live. I don't claim to have that right. Some of you think you do though. Murder is never ok.
edit on 8-2-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
On the abortion topic...

Shlit happens in nature, especially when we live in a chemical infused enviornment.

You can try again in a few months, making a healthy baby, or you can have it so you don't hurt your own feelings, but

they have a high probability of being shunned in society, have reproductive issues, self esteem issues, etc, etc....

You will likely be dealing with heavy support needed to function throughout life, probably until and AFTER you die.

That takes massive support through generations.

That is a lot to ask, and waving cute babies to pull heartstrings on that subject is dishonest.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Downs is the same.

No, I dont. It isn't up to me to choose who has a right to live. Some of you think you do though. Murder is never ok.

Good thing abortion isn’t murder then.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Downs is the same.

No, I dont. It isn't up to me to choose who has a right to live. Some of you think you do though. Murder is never ok.

Wrong. But if it helps you sleep at night go ahead and keep saying it.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Pot meet kettle there buddy..

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Not to be harsh but

There's a reason you don't breed deformed dogs.

I know they are cute puppies.

But humans should be guilt tripped into gene pool deformations?

We need to abort emotion-based decision makers.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Downs is the same.

Wrong. But if it helps you sleep at night go ahead and keep saying it.

Keep attacking people for opinions; it’s classy and helps your case.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

I attacked nobody. I expressed my own opinion. To me, I'm just defending other humans right to live. It's not my fault you're butt hurt over it.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
Nowadays most People need two people working in order to live.
If a pregnant woman knows her child will need constant care for the life she should have a choice BEFORE there is a real child to think about.

An embryo is not a child. Most People want to adopt healthy children. Many children who are no adapted suffer abuse because of the constant stress of caregivers.

There is another element that isnt covered they are all cute when children

but in many instances of severe disability if they need a lot of personal care

as they reach adult hood??

That may be fine for every parent of their child..... but in the bigger

picture the parent/s will die before their now adult child ...............

Who will take on that responsibility then

As it is the care system is unable to cope, I have seen documentary's of cruelty

by carers, I wouldn't be happy leaving behind any disabled adult/child of mine

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join