It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.4 Magnitude Earthquake in Taiwan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I am by no means the resident expert on earthquakes. In fact, I typically find out about them here before the news. I looked and didn't see any threads on it.

I believe it's been said recently that large earthquakes are on the rise over the past few months. This adds to it. Is it just plate tectonics doing their normal thing? Or is there something more to it?

A 6.4 magnitude quake struck near Hualien, Taiwan.
At least two people have died and more than 140 have been injured.
Officials say at several buildings have collapsed.

Link
edit on 6-2-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

That is the stock market and coins coming back.
Tie won!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
We usually tag on to the Earthquake Watch 20yy, threads. That was being run by an ATS member for several years, then a falling out happened, but the EQs did not. We hit this year so I started this year, 2018.

If they are large enough, or devastating, or have a deep personal connection, or you have the stamina, by all means! This one could be bad.

Quartz.com - Photos: The aftermath of a 6.4 magnitude earthquake in Taiwan.

I read a kind of rant by some geologist who claimed that there was no "Ring of Fire" and all these quakes were just normal, stuff happening. The amount going around the Pacific seem to be increasing and there are more volcanos (it could be that it is more reported), but then something like this happens. And West Coast tsunami warning for the AK quake, etc.

There was a swarm of EQs that started on Sunday in the area. This one was #94 of the group.
edit on 6-2-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarification

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Monitor this website from day to day for a while
Will answer your questions

RSOE

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Does this site not have permanent link section?
Another odd thing about earthquake reporting is that often information is downgraded by the powers that be a bit from actual.

a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

That makes sense. I was wondering what happened to the earthquake threads. I had figured most of the regular EQ guys and gals were fed up with the non-stop political content and found a new site to communicate through. I'll keep note of that thread and check in on you guys from time to time to see what's shakin in the world.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Why do I feel like I could be highly entertained by watching that screen all day? Either I'm getting too old and simplistic, or it's a great way to follow what's happening in the world in real (ish) time.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Didn't the United States have a tsunami worming for the east coast this morning?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JWill

The moderators flag them in each forum so they stay at the top of the forum. Not everybody checks the forum when starting threads. The EQ Watch ones are still there!

a reply to: chrismarco

There was a warning issued but was a false alarm. It was a "test message" that a private company released or so says the NWS. It is kind of odd in the tin foil hat way.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Works good for smaller quakes, say around 4M, or less, especially in strange places. And EQ swarms were followed on a regular basis. There were several very knowledgeable members that regularly contributed. So a member would post a new EQ, they would post the data and help describe what we were looking at. I learned a lot from just lurking!

Like I said, this look pretty bad and probably deserves it own thread anyway.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Thanks for posting.
Here’s the data on it:

M6.4 - TAIWAN

Preliminary Earthquake Report
Magnitude 6.4
Date-Time
6 Feb 2018 15:50:42 UTC
6 Feb 2018 23:50:42 near epicenter
6 Feb 2018 07:50:42 standard time in your timezone
Location 24.158N 121.680E
Depth 9 km
Distances
23 km (14 miles) NNE (25 degrees) of Hua-lien, Taiwan
52 km (32 miles) SSW (199 degrees) of Su-ao, Taiwan
100 km (62 miles) SE (135 degrees) of Hsin-chu, Taiwan
1064 km (661 miles) N (4 degrees) of MANILA, Philippines
Location Uncertainty Horizontal: 5.2 km; Vertical 4.1 km
Parameters Nph = 83; Dmin = 8.8 km; Rmss = 0.86 seconds; Gp = 34°
Version =
Event ID us 1000chhc
For updates, maps, and technical information
see: Event Page or USGS Earthquake Hazards Program
National Earthquake Information Center
U.S. Geological Survey

USGS
edit on 6-2-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I do believe the ring of fire is more active in the past month or so. I’m not trying to be an alarmist though. I’m no expert. I just follow quakes fir interest sake.

Put it this way, I very quickly paid my house insurance that was due, being I live in the ring of fire cascadia zone and was in that tsunami warning from the AK quake. After that one there’s been more in central and South America. Volcanoes going off

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco
Oops wrong answer .
edit on 6-2-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well yes it deserves it’s own thread here if it’s big enough and there were fatalities.

Seems several buildings partially collapsed with some left tilting on their sides.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
So where are we at in terms of being able to predict earthquakes? I thought I remembered hearing some time ago that science was moving closer to being able predict approximate dates, locations and sizes of earthquakes simply by the mass accumulation and analyses of data.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Ring of Fire is just so handy! You hardly have to explain to people where, they "get it" right away: Pacific Ocean. I know it is not "technically" right but neither is calling nose wipe, Kleenex, which I do anyway! People still know what I am talking about.

Since I am not an uptight geologist, I will use the term.

It's nice the death toll hasn't been increasing. Tales of collapsing ceilings and such.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JWill
Does this site not have permanent link section?
Another odd thing about earthquake reporting is that often information is downgraded by the powers that be a bit from actual.

The information located there comes directly from major related groups from around the world

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82

Why do I feel like I could be highly entertained by watching that screen all day? Either I'm getting too old and simplistic, or it's a great way to follow what's happening in the world in real (ish) time.

Thanks for sharing!

When I found this site in 2002 , I used to leave it up all the time.
To someone that just gets the news , at first it can be a scary experience.
Earthquakes , volcanic eruptions , NEOs , happen all the time. I actually have seen cases of the bubonic and black plagues back in the day.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I think we’re only getting as close as an early warning stage as in a whole 6 minutes or is it 4? Or is it seconds? I forget

where ground movement is being detected in your region and you’ll get a text to go for cover
Before the big shaking starts.

We’re getting it in Vancouver April 2019 I think.
Los Angeles late 2018

Link

There are currently no known means to reliably predict earthquakes, however seismic instruments can rapidly detect an earthquake as it begins to unfold and communicate a warning before shaking arrives.

Earthquakes release energy that travels through the Earth as seismic waves. Primary or ‘P’ waves travel faster than secondary or ‘S’ waves. The latter are the cause of severe damaging ground shaking. It is the ability to detect these first ‘P-waves’ that enables earthquake early warning systems to deliver alerts before the arrival of the ‘S-waves’.

edit on 7-2-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Death toll is at 5 , 254 injured, 170 missing, with more aftershocks on the buildings tilting , I suspect it will rise

top topics

<<   2 >>

join