It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2018

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Source: ATS, last year: QW 2017.

originally posted by: muzzy

Welcome to another year of Quake Watch which has been running now for 14years!
Here are the links to the first page of previous years.
QW 2016
QW 2015
QW 2014
QW 2013
QW 2012
QW 2011
QW 2010
QW 2009
QW 2008
QW 2007
QW 2006
QW 2005 (thread removed)???
QW 2004
World Seismic Events 2003

With Muzzy being MIA (hasn't been here on ATS since August!
)...

Time to add the 2018 Edition!

Luckily, there have not been any earth movements that ATS members needed to report this year!

Muzzy, this is a wonderful New Year's tradition! Thank you for the previous year's threads and all of your work in keeping them going!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Thank you for starting this one. While I don't always participate, I'm always checking the thread to see what is new.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It could be an interesting year. Scientists are predicting a big up tick in quakes in 2018 due to the earth rotation slowing down slightly. Numerous articles on this.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: fltcui

Thanks for that info, here's an article;

Scientists have found strong evidence that 2018 will see a big uptick in the number of large earthquakes globally. Earth's rotation, as with many things, is cyclical, slowing down by a few milliseconds per day then speeding up again.

You and I will never notice this very slight variation in the rotational speed of Earth. However, we will certainly notice the result, an increase in the number of severe earthquakes.

Continued...

To add an interesting twist to the story, 2017 was the 4th consecutive year that Earth's rotation has slowed. This is why the research team believes we can expect more earthquakes in 2018, it is the last of a 5-year slowdown in Earth's rotation.

Note that the article does go on to say-

Currently, the data only notes a striking correlation, but no causation. Hence, scientists are still unsure whether this change in Earth's rotation is the cause of an uptick in earthquakes.

Source

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
4.5 San Fran Bay area?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexanderM

yup, at 2:40AM... it was a good time

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
7.6 Quake in the Caribbean Sea northeast of Honduras.

There was a 7.2 precursor at 1.51am (UTC)

The hopefully main quake is listed as either 7.6 or 7.8 depending on source and happened at 2.51am (UTC)

No after shocks as yet.

So ... there could still be another larger one on it way. Let's hope not.

P

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

This sounds tsunamish...

Hope not!!!

No after shocks yet😵😵😵😵😵😵😵

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
No Tsunami warning yet.
edit on 1/9/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
7.6 Quake in the Caribbean Sea northeast of Honduras.

There was a 7.2 precursor at 1.51am (UTC)

The hopefully main quake is listed as either 7.6 or 7.8 depending on source and happened at 2.51am (UTC)

No after shocks as yet.

So ... there could still be another larger one on it way. Let's hope not.

P

There was no precursor listed, on any EQ site. Where did you come up with this idea from, RSOE? If so, be aware they tend to list multiple instances of the same quake because they list multiple recording station sources & don't bother to say so. I.E, they make stuff seem more Armageddony than they are.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: radpeteage

STILL no aftershocks...VERY concerning😵

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Nyiah, I think I was the one who taught you how rsoe works

The 7.2 is listed by INGV (Italy) and as I stated above, it was almost an hour before hand.

Perhaps INGV made a boo boo. Always possible.

Please don't blame the messenger, in this case RSOE.

P

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: radpeteage

A 4.3 hit near by but it well could be its own quake, caused by the 7.6.

P

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hey y'all... I have been so busy havent been on much myself. With that said hope Muzzy is doing well.

I do lurk every chance I get or on nights like tonight come to check out the chatter about quakes. Been a member to Quake Watch since 2011... the swarm in Kansas is what brought me to ATS... so thank you OP for keeping it going.

I'm surprised "they" admit a quake uptick is what we can look forward to in the coming year, so I am interested in reading that article, thanks for the info. I'm in need of some good reading and researching.

I like to go to Earthquake Report.com to check out the "I felt it reports". Lot's of people are reporting about what they felt with the recent 7.6 Honduras quake. earthquake-report.com...

Someone said something about an earlier quake..precursor possibly.. but I didn't see it reported on USGS, maybe I overlooked it. Can someone link me to it?

Also, seems like there isn't any aftershocks coming in like one would expect. The 4.5, but that's it.

What do y'all think??

ETA: Regarding Tsunami..

TSUNAMI THREAT FORECAST...UPDATED --------------------------------- * TSUNAMI WAVES REACHING 0.3 TO 1 METERS ABOVE THE TIDE LEVEL ARE POSSIBLE FOR SOME COASTS OF BELIZE... CUBA... HONDURAS... MEXICO... CAYMAN ISLANDS... AND JAMAICA. * ACTUAL AMPLITUDES AT THE COAST MAY VARY FROM FORECAST AMPLITUDES DUE TO UNCERTAINTIES IN THE FORECAST AND LOCAL FEATURES. IN PARTICULAR MAXIMUM TSUNAMI AMPLITUDES ON ATOLLS OR SMALL ISLANDS AND AT LOCATIONS WITH FRINGING OR BARRIER REEFS WILL LIKELY BE MUCH SMALLER THAN THE FORECAST INDICATES. * FOR ALL OTHER AREAS COVERED BY THIS MESSAGE... THERE IS NO TSUNAMI THREAT ALTHOUGH SMALL SEA LEVEL CHANGES MAY OCCUR. RECOMMENDED ACTIONS ------------------- * GOVERNMENT AGENCIES RESPONSIBLE FOR THREATENED COASTAL AREAS SHOULD TAKE ACTION TO INFORM AND INSTRUCT ANY COASTAL POPULATIONS AT RISK IN ACCORDANCE WITH THEIR OWN EVALUATION... PROCEDURES AND THE LEVEL OF THREAT. * PERSONS LOCATED IN THREATENED COASTAL AREAS SHOULD STAY ALERT FOR INFORMATION AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS FROM NATIONAL AND LOCAL AUTHORITIES. ESTIMATED TIMES OF ARRIVAL -------------------------- * ESTIMATED TIMES OF ARRIVAL -ETA- OF THE INITIAL TSUNAMI WAVE FOR PLACES WITHIN THREATENED REGIONS ARE GIVEN BELOW. ACTUAL ARRIVAL TIMES MAY DIFFER AND THE INITIAL WAVE MAY NOT BE THE LARGEST. A TSUNAMI IS A SERIES OF WAVES AND THE TIME BETWEEN WAVES CAN BE FIVE MINUTES TO ONE HOUR. LOCATION REGION COORDINATES ETA(UTC) ------------------------------------------------------------ GRAND CAYMAN CAYMAN ISLANDS 19.3N 81.3W 0323 01/10 CAYMAN BRAC CAYMAN ISLANDS 19.7N 79.9W 0328 01/10 PUERTO CORTES HONDURAS 15.9N 88.0W 0342 01/10 COZUMEL MEXICO 20.5N 87.0W 0344 01/10 CIENFUEGOS CUBA 22.0N 80.5W 0346 01/10 SANTIAGO D CUBA CUBA 19.9N 75.8W 0354 01/10 MONTEGO BAY JAMAICA 18.5N 77.9W 0404 01/10 TRUJILLO HONDURAS 15.9N 86.0W 0428 01/10 KINGSTON JAMAICA 17.9N 76.9W 0443 01/10 BELIZE CITY BELIZE 17.5N 88.2W 0452 01/10 SANTA CRZ D SUR CUBA 20.7N 78.0W 0636 01/10 NUEVA GERONA CUBA 21.9N 82.8W 0722 01/10
www.tsunami.gov...

ETA..Again...

2 more aftershocks.. 4.5 and 4.6

That was a pretty shallow quake too. I wonder why people will sometimes state they felt two shakes with one big quake? Makes me think it was two back to back.
edit on 9-1-2018 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Yes! The aspect though is that this is a global watch and not just a one-off dismal.

This is not my thread. This is ATS’ thread and a testament for Muzzy.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

Someone said something about an earlier quake..precursor possibly.. but I didn't see it reported on USGS, maybe I overlooked it. Can someone link me to it?

The report was auto generated by RSOE from INGV (Italy).

It may be that Italy's clocks are slow or someone over there stuffed up the times. It was reported as exactly an hour before hand so Italy (INGV) made a mistake it seems.

P

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Earthquake off Peru, 7.1

earthquaketrack.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Also..check out the three quakes at N. end of Cascadia.

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 14-1-2018 by radpeteage because: No linkie

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: radpeteage

Also..check out the three quakes at N. end of Cascadia.

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Do not like the looks of those. 3 quakes, all about the same size, all within about 90 minutes of each other. Hope it isn't announcing the coming of something else.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join