It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU Complains: "Trump Used the Word 'America' More Than 80 Times"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
a reply to: DISRAELI

You're absolutely correct - the quote should not be misrepresented, neither should the ACLU's statement.

Hard to misrepresent the AMERICAN Civil Liberties Union's statement.

A complaint that the President of the United States of AMERICA said "AMERICA" too many times.

In a speech that was ... about America.

By an organization that has the word AMERICA in it's title.

Yep, real hard to misrepresent that. It's just too blatantly stupid to be easily misrepresented. Unless one is trying to represent it as something that might actually be, on some level, intelligent, thoughtful and legitimate.

Then, yeah, that'd be misrepresenting it.

:
edit on 2018 1 31 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
You're asking folks to consider context and think critically about what they hear and their responses, instead of just spouting off the first stupid thing that comes to their mind?
Buddy, you're asking a lot. Good luck with that...

It's what I do on Bible topics, so I thought it might work for other forms of literature.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

You're asking folks to consider context and think critically about what they hear and their responses, instead of just spouting off the first stupid thing that comes to their mind?
Buddy, you're asking a lot. Good luck with that...

It's what I do on Bible topics, so I thought it might work for other forms of literature.

I find that in my Bible teaching, I am generally addressing a group of people who are desirous to learn and generally are predisposed to exert some mental effort in thinking critically about what they study and understanding deeply the topics at hand.

Not so much in the general public, sadly.

:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

a reply to: DISRAELI

You're absolutely correct - the quote should not be misrepresented, neither should the ACLU's statement.

Hard to misrepresent the AMERICAN Civil Liberties Union's statement.

A complaint that the President of the United States of AMERICA said "AMERICA" too many times.

In a speech that was ... about America.

By an organization that has the word AMERICA in it's title.

Yep, real hard to misrepresent that.
:

that's racist because America actually means "white"

Looks like this person did.

Nationalism, the anthem, pledge of allegiance, the US flag, America.

All racist.

Please stop. I have to go to the comfort room and scream into a bubble machine.

This one too.

If the ACLU doesn't like the reference to America, maybe they should remove the "american" from their name and name themselves something like the "World" Civil Liberties Union. And while they are at it, get the hell out of America. Love it or leave it!

This one too.

Looks like these people think the ACLU doesn't like the use of the word "America" when in actuality that's not what they said is it?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

They're very cautious about which liberties they defend. Been that way for a while now...

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I like the ACLU's commitment to free speech, but despise their commitment to people who are living in the country illegaly.

This statement is particularly fallacious:

"In particular, the immigration plan put forth by Trump would hold Dreamers hostage to his demands for a harmful border wall and an even larger mass deportation force."

I'm seeing very little commitment to "free speech" there, unless it's freedom of speech that fits with their own agenda.

Typical regressive/progressive B.S.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
dailycaller.com...

I like this article even better....

“As long as we are proud of who we are, and what we are fighting for, there is nothing we cannot achieve,” Trump said near the end of his speech. “As long as we have confidence in our values, faith in our citizens, and trust in our God, we will not fail. -

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Looks like these people think the ACLU doesn't like the use of the word "America" when in actuality that's not what they said is it?

Right. What they actually are doing here is misrepresenting what the word "America" means, what it stands for, twisting and lying about it, then whining because they don't like their own twisted image of what it is about, then using that complaint to push their own agenda that is contrary to what the President and the majority of Americans want.

Any way you slice it up, it's still whiny, regressive/progerssive B.S.

:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yeah, if they only did what they pretend to do without regard to politics, I'd support them.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You wouldnt believe how mindf***** people are these days. I keep running into white females that are pretending they arent white (yes really) or hate white people, or say they hate working with white children. Its mental illness. There isnt anything wrong with being white, or brown or whatever. Stop consuming the new leftist garbage please. I dont even know how to break through the programming.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
So now the ACLU is nervous and stands "ready" to "protect" communities that some feel are under attack from Trump policies.

After the SOTU address, the ACLU makes a big deal about how many times Trump said the word "America".

80+ times

And the ACLU uses the word "American" in their own name !!!

🙍🙌

Tonight, President Trump said the word ‘America’ more than 80 times in his speech. Yet, after a divisive first year, we hear and feel how exclusionary that ‘America’ is, with policies that have harmed so many vulnerable American communities. The ACLU stands ready to protect these communities, both in the courts and at the polls.

In particular, the immigration plan put forth by Trump would hold Dreamers hostage to his demands for a harmful border wall and an even larger mass deportation force. We are at this crossroads because of the President’s deeply destructive ideas fomented by his nativist allies and divisive rhetoric. We will continue to stand up for these young immigrants and ensure they continue to contribute to our country. We cannot let America’s Dreamers be deported.

What the article proves is that the reporter cannot comprehend the written word.

The ACLU is not complaining about the use of the word America. They are complaining about Trump's policies. If the writer can't understand this fairly straightforward paragraph (and boldly ignores the rest of the statement) I think they need to find another job.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

What policies exactly? The ones that brought the lowest black and Hispanic unemployment rates. Giving a path to citizenship to 1.8 million illegals? Things their almighty lord and saviour never did?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mkultra11
a reply to: Byrd

What policies exactly? The ones that brought the lowest black and Hispanic unemployment rates.

Which policies of Trump are responsible for this?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: xuenchen
So now the ACLU is nervous and stands "ready" to "protect" communities that some feel are under attack from Trump policies.

After the SOTU address, the ACLU makes a big deal about how many times Trump said the word "America".

80+ times

And the ACLU uses the word "American" in their own name !!!

🙍🙌

Tonight, President Trump said the word ‘America’ more than 80 times in his speech. Yet, after a divisive first year, we hear and feel how exclusionary that ‘America’ is, with policies that have harmed so many vulnerable American communities. The ACLU stands ready to protect these communities, both in the courts and at the polls.

In particular, the immigration plan put forth by Trump would hold Dreamers hostage to his demands for a harmful border wall and an even larger mass deportation force. We are at this crossroads because of the President’s deeply destructive ideas fomented by his nativist allies and divisive rhetoric. We will continue to stand up for these young immigrants and ensure they continue to contribute to our country. We cannot let America’s Dreamers be deported.

What the article proves is that the reporter cannot comprehend the written word.

The ACLU is not complaining about the use of the word America. They are complaining about Trump's policies. If the writer can't understand this fairly straightforward paragraph (and boldly ignores the rest of the statement) I think they need to find another job.

I think those "communities" eluded to have been "in need" long before any Trump policies took effect.

🤦‍♀️

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

Policies that don't punish businesses, cutting regulations, reducing corporate tax to 21%, bringing consumer and business confidence to highest levels, making it worthwhile for companies to either stay or return to America, A compassionate immigration policy that gives a path to citizenship to almost 2 million illegals to name some.

Predictably you were going to say Obamas policies did it. Then find me one article within Obamas 8 years that say he brought black and Hispanic unemployment to an all time low. You'll only find the highest unemployment, most people on welfare, etc..

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

They just can't give Trump credit for anythinf. Especially when he tears down preconceived notions and narratives they have of him. These people are the most divisive.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mkultra11

Policies that don't punish businesses, cutting regulations, reducing corporate tax to 21%, bringing consumer and business confidence to highest levels, making it worthwhile for companies to either stay or return to America, A compassionate immigration policy that gives a path to citizenship to almost 2 million illegals to name some.

Predictably you were going to say Obamas policies did it. Then find me one article within Obamas 8 years that say he brought black and Hispanic unemployment to an all time low. You'll only find the highest unemployment, most people on welfare, etc..

What exactly did Trump do in 2013 to set this trend into motion, or is this fake news?

If Trump had not of gotten elected, are you saying that the trend would actually have continued to rise in 2013 instead of dropping?

Don't be dishonest.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

It's a fact that Trumps policies have increased employment, decreased unemployment, decreqsed welfare, bolstered large and small businesses, reduced corporate, taxes, made dozens of companies come back to America, made foreign companies invest billions in America, made economic confidence at an all time high, stock markets consistently breaking record after record. None of the above can be attributed to Obama. What policies exactly? A chart?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mkultra11

You've masterfully evaded my question twice now. You should run for some public office.

Some of what you said is somewhat true, but if you could point me to specific policies that'd be great.

Is it also true that less jobs were created in 2017 than the 6 years preceding?

This isn't about Obama - I've not liked a president that's lived in my lifetime.

Again, what did Trump do to set this trend in motion?

Are you suggesting that the economy resets itself after each new POTUS ?

You can fail to address the above, but we both know the answer.

I don't know why this bothers so many people.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

You mean the part where using the fact he said America more than 80 times to show the irony considering the state of the country?

Did you understand what you read?

Here's the key part of the quote for you:

Yet, after a divisive first year,

The ones dividing the country are the left... After all, leftwing groups decided to start violent riots, attacking people who don't lean to the left, and attacked people who would not side with racist and violent groups like ProFacists like Antifa, BLM, etc... But then the left claim everyone who voted for Trump is a racist and xenophobic, etc, etc... Even when President Trump has minorities who voted for him... But hey, we also saw the left insult minorities just for backing Trump, now President Trump.

It was the democrats who did not want to reach a compromise but wanted all their demands met. President Trump is giving amnesty to more dreamers than Obama himself was going to give, and we still saw the democrats/other leftwingers at the SOTU pout because all their demands were not met... Aparrently they don't understand the word COMPROMISE...

Even after a year when minority groups such as Hispanics and blacks are having more jobs, and less unemployment, the lefties couldn't smile or applaud. But hey we keep hearing the lefties are all for minority groups right?...

Naaa, the ones doing the dividing are the lefties in general.

edit on 31-1-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join