It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black panther early reviews

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding of the set up of the film is ..

“Why didn’t Wakamda do anything???”

Hypothetically, Wakamda has been a secret world power since the ATLEAST the early 1900s.. if so, then why did the wakAndan people allow all the genocides of Africans that have happened????

Slavery , the very bloody aftermath of abolition, segregation, civil rights, the African genocides of the hutu’s and the (I forget). ..

Wakamda could have stopped it all instantly, but chose to stay isolated.

Appearently, Mike B. Jordan is Black panthars bastard half brother raised in poverty in America who comes back to claim the throne..

Black Panther has to make us like him more as the face of the establishment vs.his brother who is kinda right, but more militant, terroristic even..

The best bad guys are always the ones who are right.. at least from their povs

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

I just checked it out and that’s not accurate.. well it is but all the top shows PERIOD have 100%’s..

So it is not a special thing to have..

A ssumed the pic was photoshopped, but instead they just hand out 100% critic scores like candy.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

We will see..

Great cast..

Unlimited resources..

Mounds of content to parse through..

And just a stellar record for the MCU on putting out quality work..

Me thinks it is not the critics who are biased migo.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

They only hand it out if it's pushing a PC narrative.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Look diwn the list.. 83% was the least score I saw on the featured shows..

Your little theory only works if other equivalent shows are reviewed worse..

I bet flash has 100%.. prob supergirl too.. daredevil, punisher.. exc..

Your throwing out bs numbers with out a control to compare it to..

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

They only hand it out if it's pushing a PC narrative.

What exactly is the P.C narrative in this flick very few had seen.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

You're just looking at critic scores. The Flash and Daredevil have comparatively high scores with both critics and audience, sometimes just the audience. So what's the disconnect here?

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I don't know, but when I read the reviews I see words like "empowering" and "diverse" rather than "entertaining" and "good".

One critic gave it a negative score because he said it lacked the action superhero movies are known for, and every liberal media outlet on the internet lost it's mind calling him a racist.

/shrug

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I read this review on BBC today.

www.bbc.co.uk...

To me it should be about a modern interpretation of a comic classic and not a one sided commentary on race issues in society today.

Based on this and other reviews it does appear Marvel have tried to be seen to promote diversity however it’s become a little too over politicised for its own good.

This quote from Lupita Nyong’o summed a lot of the media fawning up for me:-

“This is a nation that is highly developed, and they are so because they didn't get interrupted by or assaulted by colonialism."

It’s a Marvel film not 12 Years a Slave, Roots or Malcom X. It’s not supposed to be a deep thinking political statement it’s a superhero film for the kids within us all.

Hopefully I’ll be surprised

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

I don’t know how you think it is one sided when the hero represents the establishment who did nothing and the villian is the interventionist....

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I watched this movie today and I loved it. Besides being a fan of Marvel movies and superheroes, I was thrilled to finally see an African country portrayed differently, shown as a powerful nation instead of the usual poverty striken land affected by centuries of colonialism.

I also loved to see black characters freed from the usual ghetto/slaves stereotypes.

The plot was excellent, it gave a good idea of why Wakanda has been hidden and how Black panther became who he is.

I have three beautiful mixed race children, who have finally seen superheroes that look like them.... this movie is now number 1 in the world, and this clearly shows how important representation is. I can't wait for the sequel!

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

OK saw it just now, and yeah it's worth the hype, so many layers to Peel back, and my amateur historian status paid off immensely, I could spot details most of my friends missed and I had to explain yes that language script is actually a thing, personally this is a break through movie in that the producers directors put much into it, so yes a mostly black cast is marketable outside the confines of the U.S. including Korea and Japan, the flick will start in China this wkend.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Black Panther will next be seen in May when the next Avengers movie arrives!!
Here a trailer for it.......

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

They knew they would be reusing the sets for infinity war.. allowing them to spend WAY more on Black Panther than they normally would have..

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I agree, it's definitely worth the hype! I have read now reviews online and some morons are going mad because all actors were black... really? isn't time we stopped looking at how dark or light people's skin are?

I think the world is loving this movie because we are finally seeing an excellent film that did not need to portray white Americans as the superheroes of the world, like in most movies. Representation and inclusion are the future, no doubt about it.

And yes, sooo many layers, I think we'll need to watch this movie several times to actually decipher all the secret messages the director hid everywhere.

I loved the movi, but I was actually disappointed to see Kilmonger die, because his final goal was good, but the plan to achieve it was wrong.....I could go on forever. lol

a reply to: Kurokage

I can't wait for Infinity War!
edit on 4-3-2018 by Agartha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   

I agree, it's definitely worth the hype! I have read now reviews online and some morons are going mad because all actors were black... really? isn't time we stopped looking at how dark or light people's skin are? 

Here is the thing, I and most others blacker or lighter than I , embraced Lord Of The Rings, and a whole lot of majority white caste movies, identified with the heroes , anti heroes and heroines for generations, the complaints, lays in the roles usually given to folks like me, the Slave, the criminal, the dude who gets killed the first minute in the flick, the comic relief, the 2nd fiddle who never gets the girl.
Or pics usually historical epics where black or non white characters are white washed out of the lead.
The positive gain from this movie is, folks are thinking of doing some African historical epics some members of the Black Panther caste is going to do a movie on the Amazons of Dahomey the real life Dora Milaje.
I'd love to see Shango God of thunder vs Thor God of thunder.
There is no lack of material out there both real and fictional.

OK we saw Killmonger slumped to the ground.. But did he die???

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Here is the thing, I and most others blacker or lighter than I , embraced Lord Of The Rings, and a whole lot of majority white caste movies, identified with the heroes , anti heroes and heroines for generations, the complaints, lays in the roles usually given to folks like me, the Slave, the criminal, the dude who gets killed the first minute in the flick, the comic relief, the 2nd fiddle who never gets the girl.
Or pics usually historical epics where black or non white characters are white washed out of the lead.

Amen to all you've said, and this is why Black Panther is breaking records, because for the first time kids (and adults) of all skin tones can identify with strong, good, successful people, when in the past their roles were limited.

I also loved it that the characters had a 'general' African accent, so that kids watching the movie can see that a leader or a superhero doesn't have to sound 'Western' and that they should be very proud of whatever accent they have.

The positive gain from this movie is, folks are thinking of doing some African historical epics some members of the Black Panther caste is going to do a movie on the Amazons of Dahomey the real life Dora Milaje.
I'd love to see Shango God of thunder vs Thor God of thunder.
There is no lack of material out there both real and fictional.

I'd love that! I've been to Ghana and learned some great mythical stories there.

OK we saw Killmonger slumped to the ground.. But did he die???

Ooohh I hope he's still alive, I love his character... and I'm sure female viewers will appreciate him sticking for longer lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join