It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were dinosaurs mentioned in the bible?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
..i cant remeber the exact books but i recall a comrad of mine mentioning he felt that the bible makes numerous refrences to dinosaurs or huge reptiliians beasts. (bohemiths, leviathans, etc..)

what do you guys make of this? anyone have any knowledge theyd like to pass along?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
huge beasts doesnt mean dinosaurs. Look at the last ice age. There were quite allot of huge beasts around then. Also dinosaurs arent just huge beasts there were numerous small dinosaurs.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I believe there may be a few references. Namely in the old testament Jewish scriptures. In Job there is mention of a Behemoth beast and in the following chapter a sea serpent type description. I've been told there are more but only these i have read myself. Job 40 i believe is where they are
let me know if anyone else finds anything or knows whats up.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
they also mentioned scale like skin and huge tails....

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
In australia there was a huge reptile till fairly recently.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
do you have any pictures?im curious

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
So, what you are trying to tell me is this.

In the book of job, the reference to leviathan and bohemoth are actually references to dinosaurs. Interseting. I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.

For starters, there are other animals that fit these discriptions somewhat. The alligator, or hippo for instance could account for both of them. Who knows. But it is logical if you conclude that.

Now as for dinosaurs. A large portion of dinosaurs were very big, very fast, and they ate meat. Humans would probably have been a target if they actually existed at the same time which they didn't. Even if they did no become food for them, do you mean to tell me that there is only 2, count em, 2 references in a book of this nature to something of that nature?

In reality, there is no way that this could be the case. These animals would be prominent throughout the bible if they existed alongside humans, let alone if they were eating them. It is foolish to believe that these animals existed at the time any of the books of the bible were written. I would advise those of you claiming to know of references in the bible to actually think about it. Rather than looking for something, anything at all, to match up to your views and claiming it to be the truth, take the WHOLE issue into context. Ask yourself, do you honestly believe that giant lizards would have only been mentioned twice in the bible? Just twice?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
i didnt necesarily say i subscribe to this theory, i was just curious as to what others had to say.

you raised a good point on the prey issue, i didnt consider that-although the ones they mentioned were plant eaters....

[edit on 15-2-2005 by god is on vacation]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
There are many references to dinosaurs in scripture.

The Hebrew word commonly translated ‘dragon’ in the KJV (Hebrew: tan, tannin, tannim, tan noth) appears in the Old Testament some 30 times. There are passages in the Bible about ‘dragons’ that lived on the land: ‘he [Nebuchadnezzar] has swallowed me like a dragon’ (Jer. 51:34), ‘the dragons of the wilderness’ (Mal. 1:3). Many Biblical creationists believe that in many contexts these could refer to what we now call dinosaurs. Indeed, Strong’s Con cord ance lists ‘dinosaur’ as one of the meanings of tannin/m.

In Genesis 1:21, the Bible says: ‘And God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed, after their kind.’ The Hebrew word here for ‘sea monsters’ (‘whales’ in KJV) is the word translated elsewhere as ‘dragon’ (Hebrew: tannin). So, in the fi rst chapter of the fi rst book of the Bible, God may be describing the great sea dragons (sea-dwelling dinosaur-type animals) He created.

There are other Bible passages about dragons that lived in the sea: ‘the dragons in the waters’ (Psalm 74:13), ‘and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea’ (Isa. 27:1). Though the word ‘dino saur’ strictly refers to animals that lived on the land, the sea reptiles and fl ying reptiles are often grouped with the dinosaurs. The sea-dragons could have included dinosaur-type animals such as the Mosasaurus

Job 41 describes a great animal that lived in the sea, Leviathan. This ‘dragon’ may have been something like the mighty 55-foot (17 m) long Kronosaurus,22 or the 82-foot (25 m) long Liopleurodon.
There is also mention of a flying serpent in the Bible: the ‘fiery flying serpent’ (Isa. 30:6). This could be a reference to one of the pterodactyls, which are popularly thought of as flying dinosaurs, such as the Pteranodon, Rhamphorhynchus or Ornithocheirus.

Not long after the Flood, God was showing a man called Job how great He
was as Creator, by reminding Job of the largest land animal He had made:
‘Behold now behemoth, which I made with you; he eats grass like an ox. See now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the muscles of his belly. He moves his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his thighs are knit together. His bones are like tubes of bronze; his limbs are like bars of iron. He is the chief of the ways of God: his maker brings near his sword’ (Job 40:15–19). The phrase ‘chief of the ways of God’ suggests this was the largest land animal God had made. So what kind of animal was ‘behemoth’?
Bible translators, not being sure what this beast was, often transliterated
the Hebrew, and thus the word behemoth (e.g. KJV, NKJV, NASB, NIV).
However, in many Bible commentaries and Bible footnotes, ‘behemoth’ is said to be ‘possibly the hippopotamus or elephant.’24 Some Bible versions actually translate ‘behemoth’ this way.25 Besides the fact that the elephant and hippo were not the largest land animals God made (some of the dinosaurs far eclipsed these), this description does not make
sense, since the tail of behe moth is com pared to the large cedar tree
(verse 17). Now an elephant’s tiny tail (or a hippo’s tail that looks like a fl ap of skin!) is quite unlike a cedar tree! Clearly the elephant and the hippo could not possibly be ‘behemoth.’ No living creature comes close to this description. However, behemoth is very like Brachiosaurus, one of the large dinosaurs.

The whole article is at: www.answersingenesis.org.../radio/pdf/whathappenedtodinos.pdf

More Dinosaur info: www.answersingenesis.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Answersingenesis is not a reliable source. They distort information on a regular basis. Trust me if you want to argue that, you will lose.

The fact is that dinosaurs were on earth at one time. We know roughly their diets and other relevant information. Some of these animals would have targeted humans for food, along with everything else they saw moving. Vague references in psalms are more accurately described as metaphorical (psalms is VERY metaphorical)and not based in fact. Even if they were, which they are not, there is still other ways to explain the VERY VERY few words in teh bible that could even be remotely construed as referring to dinosaurs. Dinosaurs would have surely played a huge role in the lives of people if they lived along side them.

There is not enough written word about anything resembling a dinosaur in the bible for it to be construed that way. These animals would have simply been too important and prominent in the lives of people. Can you honestly tell me that these are the only references in a book like the bible about millions of animals, some being bigger than houses and buildings? That is not a rational line of thought. They would have been througout the bible, and throughout all anchient text aside from the bible as well, in a VERY PROMINENT FASION. It is simply not that way. Humans and dinosaurs did not coexist.

There are no references to dinosaurs in scripture, there arent even many things that could be vaguely interpreted as that. SNTX, think before you speak. Don't just repeat via copy paste off of a discredited website. Especially when you havent done any research on your own.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Man and dinosaurs never existed at the same time.

Besides, there are no dinosaurs in the bible. If there were dinosaurs alive during the time the OT talks about, they would have been in the bible. Giant lizards are noteworthy, I'd have put them in my book.

The bible is a fraud, there is meaning in it, but don't allow anyone else to interpret it for you, and for your own sake, don't pay anyone to interpret it for you. Read it with the same critical eye for metaphor and parable you would use on a nursery rhyme.

Science threatens the church, it always has. I think faith and science can co-exist nicely. Religion and science is like fireworks waiting to happen.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by god is on vacation
..i cant remeber the exact books but i recall a comrad of mine mentioning he felt that the bible makes numerous refrences to dinosaurs or huge reptiliians beasts. (bohemiths, leviathans, etc..)

what do you guys make of this? anyone have any knowledge theyd like to pass along?

This same topic was discussed here....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
Answersingenesis is not a reliable source. They distort information on a regular basis. Trust me if you want to argue that, you will lose.

To someone who is completely wrong about the past the truth does appear to be distorted.

The fact is that dinosaurs were on earth at one time.

No one is disputing this fact.

We know roughly their diets and other relevant information.

Yes, we know that of the 335 kinds of dinosaurs about 100 of them were meat eaters.

Some of these animals would have targeted humans for food, along with everything else they saw moving.

That is correct. We also know that humans would have easily outsmarted them.

Vague references in psalms are more accurately described as metaphorical (psalms is VERY metaphorical)and not based in fact. Even if they were, which they are not, there is still other ways to explain the VERY VERY few words in teh bible that could even be remotely construed as referring to dinosaurs.

Is your logic here that literature can not be based on facts simply it is metaphorical? You might want to take your own advice and do some more research on how many references in scripture there are to dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs would have surely played a huge role in the lives of people if they lived along side them. There is not enough written word about anything resembling a dinosaur in the bible for it to be construed that way. These animals would have simply been too important and prominent in the lives of people.

Again, most dinosaurs were not predators and most were not huge either. Do predators play a huge role in our lives today?

Can you honestly tell me that these are the only references in a book like the bible about millions of animals, some being bigger than houses and buildings? That is not a rational line of thought.

The main purpose of scripture is to provide knowledge that man can not discern on his own. Our creator gave the incredible minds that we posses so that we would be able to gather and understand information about our world. It is a shame that so many people are blind to the truth that is right in front of their eyes.

They would have been througout the bible, and throughout all anchient text aside from the bible as well, in a VERY PROMINENT FASION. It is simply not that way. Humans and dinosaurs did not coexist.

Dinosaurs are mentioned historic text from many cultures.

"Are There Other Ancient Records of Dinosaurs?

• A Sumerian story dating back to 2,000 BC or more tells of a hero named Gilgamesh, who, when he went to fell cedars in a remote forest, encountered a huge vicious dragon which he slew, cutting off its head as a trophy.
• When Alexander the Great (c. 330 BC) and his soldiers marched into India, they found that the Indians worshipped huge hissing reptiles that they kept in caves.
• China is renowned for its dragon stories, and dragons are prominent on Chinese pottery, embroidery, and carvings.
• England has its story of St George, who slew a dragon that lived in a cave.
• There is the story of a 10th-century Irishman who wrote of his encounter with what appears to have been a Stegosaurus.
• In the 1500s, a European scientific book, Historia Animalium, listed several animals that we would call dinosaurs, as still alive.
A well-known naturalist of the time, Ulysses Aldrovandus, recorded an encounter between a peasant named Baptista and a dragon whose description fits that of the small dinosaur Tanystropheus. The encounter was on May 13, 1572, near Bologna in Italy, and the peasant killed the dragon.
Petroglyphs (drawings carved on rock) of dinosaur-like creatures have also
been found.
In summary, people down through the ages have been very familiar with
dragons. The descriptions of these animals fit with what we know about
dinosaurs. The Bible mentions such creatures, even ones that lived in the sea and flew in the air. There is a tremendous amount of other historical evidence that such creatures have lived beside people."
Ken Ham

There are no references to dinosaurs in scripture, there arent even many things that could be vaguely interpreted as that.

I like the way you acknowledge the references in the beginning of your post then end your post with this statement.

SNTX, think before you speak. Don't just repeat via copy paste off of a discredited website. Especially when you havent done any research on your own.

Thanks for the advice, but you make too many assumptions for me to give your words any weight.

Steve

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So what you are saying, is that the few things in the bible that could vaguely be interpreted into a dinosaur, the very few, are actual references to dinosaurs. You are also saying, that people would have only needed to write that much about them.

You said so yourself, they would have targeted humans. You also said, that humans would have easily outsmarted them. So, there is probably a lot of information written down about how to outsmart dinosaurs right? For instance, there is plenty of text as to how to hunt buffalo in herds. So, wouldn't there be something regarding escaping dinosaurs? Well, not according to you.

Tell me, if you were writing an autobiography or history book, and every day, you saw giant lizards roaming the country side. Bigger than your house. This book has your life history in it. Are you only going to mention those lizards metaphorically 2 maybe three times in the several thousands of pages you wrote overall?

You stated I am wrong about the past. Specifically, what am I wrong about? I havent stated anything incorrectly actually. You are the one claiming that dinosaurs were so insignificant that they went almost completely unnoticed in a book THAT YOU CLAIM TO BE HISTORICALLY ACCURATE. What am I wrong about again?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   

You stated I am wrong about the past. Specifically, what am I wrong about? I havent stated anything incorrectly actually. You are the one claiming that dinosaurs were so insignificant that they went almost completely unnoticed in a book THAT YOU CLAIM TO BE HISTORICALLY ACCURATE. What am I wrong about again?

Since most of this post proves that you either did not read or did not comprehend most of what I posted I will stick to this question. I'll also stick to the information posted and ignore the spelling mistakes.

In the book of job, the reference to leviathan and bohemoth are actually references to dinosaurs. Interseting. I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.

For starters, there are other animals that fit these discriptions somewhat. The alligator, or hippo for instance could account for both of them. Who knows. But it is logical if you conclude that.

When you actually read the passages it is not logical to conclude that they could be referring to alligators or hippos. The reasoning can be read in my first post.

A large portion of dinosaurs were very big, very fast, and they ate meat.

Wrong

Humans would probably have been a target if they actually existed at the same time which they didn't.

Wrong on both counts, humans did exist at the same time and they wouldn't have been targets due to their speed and intelligence.

Even if they did no become food for them, do you mean to tell me that there is only 2, count em, 2 references in a book of this nature to something of that nature?

Ask yourself, do you honestly believe that giant lizards would have only been mentioned twice in the bible? Just twice?

Wrong

As already pointed out there are more than 2 references, many more.

There are no references to dinosaurs in scripture, there arent even many things that could be vaguely interpreted as that.

First you said that there were 2 references which was wrong, then you said there were none, wrong again.

I could make assumptions about other things that you are wrong about, but unlike you I do not like to make such assumptions and snap judgments so keep on typing Seapeople.

Steve

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
SNTX, do you really want to be shown as the fool you really are?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
There are probably two things that are thought of, today, as meaning dinosaurs. The leviathan and the behemoth. Their descriptions, however, don't resemble dinosaurs in any real way, other than large size and having a 'big tail'.

The tail is most interesting. The beast is described as having a penulous tail like a shaft of a cedar tree. Its the creatures strenght and its 'in his loins'. Tail, or johnson? Sounds more like a johnson. A tail isn't in ones loins and 'potency', power, is even now something associated with reproductive organs.

Its rather unthinkable that dinosaurs were running around the planet in vast herds and large populations, from behemoths to dragons, and yet haven't left any remains.

There are, however, remains of other very large animals, remains that would've been visible to any ancient peoples, weathering out of rocks then as they do today. Encountering these remains, these fossils of dinosaurs and more often mammalian megafauna, probably leads to stories of giants and fantastical creatures.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

SNTX, do you really want to be shown as the fool you really are?

"The way of a fool seems right to him,
but a wise man listens to advice.

A fool shows his annoyance at once,
but a prudent man overlooks an insult.
"

Proverbs 12:15,16

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Whats up with this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

A thread, started by one of the first persons to respond to this thread, on the exact same topic, in which both of them repsond. Collusion or coincidence?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
SNTX - are you one of those people that claim that the earth is less than 10,000 years old?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join