It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump backs path to citizenship for 1.8 million DACA recipients

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
MSN news just announced the President's plans for 1.8 million DACA recipients, providing them a path to citizenship. He also addresses the need for enhanced border security funding, to which allocating $25 billion is part of his proposed solution.

Glad to see Trump going to bat for DACA though. It isn't DACA recipients faults they were brought here illegally, nor should they be punished for the last admin's lawlessness.

www.msn.com...

I suppose there goes the notion he is "racist" or discriminates against illegal immigrants (although they clearly aren't all one singular ethnicity or race...)

Trump has done more for the "dreamers" than Obama ever did with his shaky unilateral EO defying existing laws.
edit on 1/25/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Sounds like he is going to do exactly what he said he would. Seems like a trend with your President. Must be refreshing to have a leader do what is right and not pander for votes 24/7.
He will get nothing but scorn from the left though... but I am sure he won't care.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

It is certainly...unusual! We aren't used to honesty and altruistic motives from the WH (before 2016)

The greatest attribute of POTUS is his willingness to do the right thing, regardless of party stance or popular opinion. I am sure the left will be unhappy with his offer, since they maintain their relevance by opposing the President.

Sad part is, a little bit of trust and cooperation would go a long way. Trump is an indy if I've ever seen one, and apparently has no qualms about crossing party lines to get the job done.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I just read the article & I feel like you're misrepresenting what's in it. He's asking for $25 billion to fund the wall (lol at people who thought Mexico would pay for it) and is simply "open" to offering an "incentive of citizenship perhaps in 10 to 12 years" to Dreamers. And it says he might push back the March 5th DACA deadline (which is a deadline he set in the first place) if lawmakers can't come to an agreement by then.

It also says the following:

Trump said he would also suggest $5 billion for border security and would seek to curb family sponsorship of immigrants and the visa lottery system in his framework.

In other words, he's asking for up to $30 billion for the wall and increased border security now, a curb on family sponsorship of immigrants now, and his visa lottery system now; all in return for potentially extending his own DACA deadline and potentially signing any legislation that allows a 10-12 year path to citizenship for Dreamers.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

And, what is their option now if nothing was done. They would be subject to deportation now because the "D" in DACA stands for delayed. This has been delayed for what, 20 years now? Delay does not mean forever. Unlike previous administrations, this president knows how to negotiate a deal that has positives on both sides. Some on the left are too used to getting 100% with no negotiation.

That time is over.

Your president will ensure deals will be negotiated on the interests of this country first, which includes the American citizens.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
With Trump doing so many great things to improve and reform immigration, I can see him gaining large blocks of voters from traditionally blue states. This is great, and highlights a core advantage indys have.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

In other words, he's asking for up to $30 billion for the wall and increased border security now, a curb on family sponsorship of immigrants now, and his visa lottery system now; all in return for potentially extending his own DACA deadline and potentially signing any legislation that allows a 10-12 year path to citizenship for Dreamers.

That sounds about right. But those who bend over backwards to smooch the cheeks of Heir Drumpf will turn anything upside down to do so.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Sounds like he is going to do exactly what he said he would. Seems like a trend with your President. Must be refreshing to have a leader do what is right and not pander for votes 24/7.
He will get nothing but scorn from the left though... but I am sure he won't care.

And plenty of scorn from the Right wing. They feel betrayed. Remember he campaigned on "0" amnesty?

edit on 25-1-2018 by olaru12 because: hey brenda

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
For 30 BILLION dollars we could hire 600,000 border patrol agents and pay them 50,000 each .

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
There are currently just under 700k enrolled DACA recipients so where will the other 1.1 million illegals come from?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

O/T: How did you get the text to strikeout like that? I was wanting to do it the other day, and could not find the right BB code.

I just read the article & I feel like you're misrepresenting what's in it. He's asking for $25 billion to fund the wall (lol at people who thought Mexico would pay for it) and is simply "open" to offering an "incentive of citizenship perhaps in 10 to 12 years" to Dreamers. And it says he might push back the March 5th DACA deadline (which is a deadline he set in the first place) if lawmakers can't come to an agreement by then.

I am not misrepresenting anything, as the MSN article states that is clearly his intention. There are no details of course, but clearly this would be a "pathway" not an "entitlement." This is for good prospective-citizens with fairly clean records, not junkie criminals (not an ethnic thing, I'd like to deport ALL criminals including US citizens
).

I'm sure there would likely be a probationary period of deferment/delay, after which a decision could be made. The key point here is that these individuals had no say in breaking our laws, and shouldn't be forced to return to a country they never called home. Trump is doing the morally right thing here, and it is unfortunate he has to combine other things (like the border wall) with this legislation. I'd love to see a clean bill, but Dems simply cannot be trusted to hold up their end of a simple agreement on security. Nevertheless, it is still currently against our laws and there will be a process to follow (including mandatory legislation from congress).

And it says he might push back the March 5th DACA deadline (which is a deadline he set in the first place) if lawmakers can't come to an agreement by then.

Because the current EO is illegal (it is in direct opposition to existing laws). The grace period was a chance for congress to get their act together on something they were too happy to ignore otherwise. Not everyone wants to undo every single last Obama action. Some would rather just see it done the right way, so some future POTUS can't just come in and strike an EO off the book on a whim.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TREESNAKE1111

Or u could hire 10,000 border agents at 60k plus benefits and pay them for ten years.

link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

There are currently just under 700k enrolled DACA recipients so where will the other 1.1 million illegals come from?

Mara-Lago and other Drumpf palaces.

link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Did you actually read the article? He doesn't give a single guarantee on DACA recipients or Dreamers. So they still would be subject to deportation now. He's simply asking for everything he wants immediately without guaranteeing a single thing in return.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

Could he be looking at parents as well? Much trickier when dealing with them, but I can't see their deportation as advantageous. Let them pay a fine (provided they have also not broken any additional laws since their arrival) and stay with their kids.

Not to be superficial, but if Trump fixes this DACA mess then he will likely absorb a very large voting bloc. Sometimes doing the right thing is also doing the politically advantageous thing.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: Krakatoa

Did you actually read the article? He doesn't give a single guarantee on DACA recipients or Dreamers. So they still would be subject to deportation now. He's simply asking for everything he wants immediately without guaranteeing a single thing in return.

Yeah, and???? What is their other option? The DACA deal is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. It was an illegal EO to cover illegal immigrants. Who, by the way, are still here illegally. Once they turned 18, they were responsible for their own lot in life, and were not children anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

There is such a small chance of this happening. Any legislation would assuredly contain deferment or specifics. This is a general outline, and isn't/shouldn't be expected to contain specific detail. The President issued general guidance on what he'd be willing to sign, the specifics are up to law makers.

Last I read 80-90 PERCENT of Americans support the dreamers. I have nothing against a bunch of kids (now adults) that were brought here at no fault of their own. If they're productive residents with clean criminal records then why not? Sometimes life hands you cards that aren't fair, and sending them "home" to a country they've never known as home is one of those examples. Trump has (and appears to be taking) the morally superior path, and not letting the politics of illegal immigration get in the way of making the right decision.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

O/T: How did you get the text to strikeout like that? I was wanting to do it the other day, and could not find the right BB code.

Just type strike inside of the [][/]. So strike and /strike will be inside of the brackets. like this

I'm sure there would likely be a probationary period of deferment/delay, after which a decision could be made.

Let me see that in the final bill and it's a different story. Simply saying he might do something isn't enough. McConnell told Senators he'd hold a DACA related vote mid-January, but still didn't do it.

I'd love to see a clean bill, but Dems simply cannot be trusted to hold up their end of a simple agreement on security.

LOL Republicans control both chambers of Congress so the Democrats can't bring a single bill onto the floor in either chamber. It's literally up to Republicans to get this started.

Because the current EO is illegal (it is in direct opposition to existing laws). The grace period was a chance for congress to get their act together on something they were too happy to ignore otherwise. Not everyone wants to undo every single last Obama action. Some would rather just see it done the right way, so some future POTUS can't just come in and strike an EO off the book on a whim.

I think we're having a misunderstanding on this part. I pointed out that the article only says that he "might" delay that deadline. It doesn't give any guarantees whatsoever. Politicians say they'll do things all the time but the only thing that matters is what they actually pass or sign into law.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Or u could hire 10,000 border agents at 60k plus benefits and pay them for ten years.

I think that would be more effective than a symbolic wall that won't stop human beings . Plus jobs .

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

It's not a deadline set by the President other than he would not reauthorize President Obama's EO. In other words he is forcing both Republicans and Democrats in Congress to do their jobs and enact real laws to help the Dreamers.

This is something the former President promised he would do and could have accomplished in his first term when the Democrats controlled both the House and the Senate but instead he ignored the Dreamers in favor of the ACA.

When will people at least see what Trump is actually doing which is forcing a change in the law to finally give Dreamers and their families real legal status, which is more than either side before him.

I don't support anyone blindly and voted for the person and not the party. Trump starts with the out landish like 10 or 12 year path but will negotiate for a more realistic 6, 4, and maybe 2 year path.

He ask for 25 billion so he can get 10 or 15 for border security which is not crazy as we must do something. Say what you will about Trump but he alone has forced the dirtbags in Congress to do something other than 30 second sound bites.
edit on 1/25/2018 by DJMSN because: Correction

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join