It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont becomes ninth U.S. state to legalize marijuana

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

(Reuters) - Vermont became the ninth U.S. state and third in the Northeast to legalize recreational marijuana use on Monday when Republican Governor Phil Scott signed a bill passed by the legislature earlier this month.
The law legalizes possession of up to 1 ounce of the drug, two mature plants and up to four immature plants by people 21 and older beginning on July 1. It does not legalize trade in the drug.
“This is a great step forward for the state and the whole region,” Matt Simon, New England political director for the Marijuana Policy Project said in a statement. “Responsible adults will soon have the freedom to enjoy a safer option legally, and law enforcement will be free to concentrate on serious crimes with actual victims.

Vermont becomes ninth U.S. state to legalize marijuana

Another State is opening it's doors to responsible marijuana use. Do you oppose this new law or should adults have the right to put whatever they want into their own body? I've heard both sides but seriously, it's nothing like alcohol or even drug prescriptions for minor problems like ADHD which is proven to be a fake syndrome by the Dr that dubbed it that.

So what gives? I like the new law. It shows people aren't as backward thinking as they used to be.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Yah I support de-criminalization of all drugs. But legalizing drugs just opens the door for government to create cartels and monopolies for corporations.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SkeptiSchism

Nah, I highly disagree.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

I remember a story about the drop in opioid scripts after MJ is made legal, they drop like a rock.

I say this is a good thing, let people use this freely. Even if big pharma gets pissed.

edit on 22-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Should be federally decriminalised rather than made legal.

Just another State full of people who will have to choose between their spliffs and their firearms.

Tough choice for those with medical issues, for sure.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Look.. Legalizing this weed won't create cartels, most people know it. Black markets are created from the 'lack of' not too much of it.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I think it's great, but they really need to reconsider this part,

The law legalizes possession of up to 1 ounce of the drug, two mature plants and up to four immature plants by people 21 and older beginning on July 1. It does not legalize trade in the drug

The state will lose a great source of income by not doing so, and it leaves legal loopholes in the case law enforcement is against the legalization.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I remember a story about the drop in opioid scripts drop like a rock.

I say this is a good thing, let people use this freely. Even if big pharma gets pissed.

Right see? because big pharma know what it does, Rick Simpson should ring a bell for people who know who the guy is. Cancer would drop quite a margin if this happened.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

It will over time, they're already inching their way in Colorado. Once something is legalized, then it becomes more or less a privilege extended by the government instead of the government submitting to your rights as an individual to put whatever you want into your own body.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Yeah ok true but atleast the door is being opened to the possibility of free access to this weed. I think trade amongst some will happen anyways, like it does now. I was thinking long term with the black market profiting where it's legal to sell it with a licence. I don't think that's too far off now, another brick in the wall coming down.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SkeptiSchism

Right over time, but again, people are gonna do it regardless. If it's available to own, easier access. People will grow it, it's not that hard.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack Ya big pharmaceutical really does not like this move. Our lobbyist are in full swing over this move in all states that have made the move. That being said I am in full support of legality of the weed. Big pharma is only my job. But I figured I would provide some obvious insight. I will say expect a big move from Sessions in regards to this.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

This is true, that's also the safest route to use it.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

What really bangs my rocket is the fact that they've illegalized weed for years but not alcohol. Totally stupid, they know it and we know it. I think people need to speak up, louder and pressure these pricks in power.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Wouldn't you know it? Now that I am retired and don't have to worry about peeing in a bottle any longer it is becoming legal across the nation and I don't even care to use it any longer.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
How does one go from imprisoning people, fining, breaking up families, creating job-opportunty-removing criminal records, into a regulated system picking the winners?

It is a fn weed. Tax it at normal income, if sold for income.

Can't just make it legal, need to line up the winners first.

Need to rig the market, keep the supply down with regulations so the price is high.

Sin tax it on top of that.

What a crock.

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: sp

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

You might some day.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

If I have to one of these days I'm gonna make the administrator hold it.

Thought you were talking about peeing in a bottle. No, I'll never do pot again.
edit on 22-1-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Allowing access to it at all, is like the Government admitting it's not a dangerous drug, which everyone's known for years. I'd say it's about time adults were treated like adults instead of children by the crock'n lot of them.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Not everyone wants to do pot, but there's more people for it than against. It's a cure for some people others, it's a way to destress and relax. Either way it's not a dangerous substance, and making it legal is like the first stages of admitting it's not hazardous to most people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join