It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gutierrez: Let Trump have wall in exchange for DACA deal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
**I put this in Breaking Political News because it's related to the shutdown, which is still a very new story. If the mods feel it would be better placed elsewhere, I'll try to do better in the future**

Article

An Illinois Democrat appeared to soften his tone on the White House's border wall plan, so long that the DACA program is maintained, "Fox & Friends" reported.

Congressman Luis Gutierrez of Chicago said that he would be open to building a wall along the southern border if President Trump goes along with Democratic plans to protect 800,000 DACA recipients from deportation.

"I'll go down there with bricks and mortar," he said, however warning that he found the wall "offensive to me and people like me who come to this country."

On "Fox & Friends", Rachel Campos-Duffy said she gives Gutierrez a lot of credit for offering somewhat of a compromise, citing the 64-year-old's otherwise staunch opposition to President Trump and the White House's illegal immigration platform.

I rarely find myself in agreement with this guy, but he seems to be one of the only Democrats with a brain on this issue. The details are murky but essentially the deal offered is build the wall in exchange for letting all the "Dreamers" stay, except ones that have serious felony convictions. That's actually an excellent deal for Democrats. They get a ton of new Democrat voters in exchange for a wall that, according to them, won't work anyway, so what's the downside? The money is a fraction of a percent of the budget, and let's not pretend they're that concerned with government spending anyway. They also get a free talking point they can use in the 2018 and 2020 elections, pretending the wall is "racist" (because all immigrants are brown people, Democrats apparently think - talk about racist) and a waste of money and whatnot.

I don't see what their beef is honestly. It's almost like they don't actually want this issue solved. Either that or they're so trapped in this #resist mindset that they can't think straight and don't recognize an excellent opportunity when it's right in front of them. Anyone who really cares about these DACA recipients should be calling their Dem congressmen and telling them to wake up. The only downside for the Democrats is Trump gets a "win" on the wall. That's only really gonna help him with his base though, who are gonna vote for him whether he gets the wall or not. Swallow your pride and protect the "Dreamers" you say you care so much about.
edit on 21 1 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Probably the most sane reaction to this entire thing that I have heard.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Well, with trumps new tax plan, that puts the U.S. in even more debit, who is going to pay for the wall? Forgive me for not trusting someone who has filed bankruptcy so many times, with finances. Adding to the debt for this wall that will not do any good, seems stupid.

Its also hard to trust him, after taking millions and millions of peoples hard earned money for trump U. Thankfully some of those people have been awarded their money back from the scam.

edit on 21-1-2018 by kurthall because: fix

edit on 21-1-2018 by kurthall because: fix

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
"Let Trump have Wall?"

Its not up to him. Big business needs undocumented slave labor. Why would they try and block that?

The deception is they are trying to protect American jobs by stopping illegal immigration by building a wall, right?

They aren't hiring Americans though, they are exploiting cheap illegal immigrant willing to work for far less than you. After all their country is really poor comparatively and the low wages they earn here working for Big Agro and Livestock corporations is a kings ransom, but wouldn't pay your rent.

Not that working at Walmart is any better...

Still the savings in unemployment insurance, taxes and minimum wage hiring undocumented workers is massive.

Wanna see, go try and get a job as a picker sweating in the fields next to Juan.
edit on 21-1-2018 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A Federal Judge on January 10th said that DACA can continue indefinitely. It is NOT in danger of "expiring" on March 5th.
www.npr.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Sounds easy-peasy to me.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Who’s paying for the wall?

Wasn’t it meant to be Mexico?

If not primarily out of their own pocket, then through sanction or tariff on the nation?

Wouldn’t it make sense not to give Trump his compensating wall until he guarantees those funds are coming from Mexico?

The wall isn’t offensive though. That’s ludicrous.
It’s just idiotic.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Big business needs undocumented slave labor...

Not true. They just got used to it because it was available.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I'm 100% behind granting funding for the wall (i.e. "Border Security ") in exchange for CHIP kids funding and DACA.

From a "left" point of view, the PEOPLE are vastly more important than a symbolic construction project. Seriously.

It's called "compromise" and getting what you want out of the deal.

Now some are arguing that DACA and CHIP are so popular across the board with Americans that Dems shouldn't negotiate or give in to anything that the Reps want. This solves nothing.

Give the Reps a win in exchange for a Dem win, dust off and call it a freaking day already.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The money that the US will save in the long run will make it worth paying for. There are hundreds of thousands of anchor babies born in the US each year. There were 275,000 in 2014 www.pewresearch.org... I couldn't believe that when I looked it up. A lot of these people are receiving welfare. If there are an addition 200,000 $5000 per year payments for babies, old people, jobless ect, that is a billion dollars right there and that is a really conservative number. The last 2 years alone, illegals in LA recieved over a billion dollars www.foxnews.com... The wall would save America money so the cost or debt should not be a reason to not build the wall. Not to mention crime and safety. The wall wouldn't stop all illegal immigration but it would keep enough people out that it would be beneficial to America in the long run and I think it would pay for it's self in a decade and save money every year after that.
edit on 21-1-2018 by xenon129 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
To the OP:

You might well be shocked to learn that Schumer let Trump simply pick a number as the money he wanted for the wall that will never be built, and for border security.

The Dems let Trump pick what he wanted.

In exchange for DACA.

Then the Dems proposed funding our military personnel's pay, so that they wouldn't be impacted at all by the shutdown, a stand alone bill that will pay our troops, spare them the politics.

McConnell objected.

The reason the government is shut down is that the Republicans need 60 votes. They have always known they needed to compromise.

Trump had said DACA is what he'd do. He called DACA a bill of "love."

He was given everything he wanted.

He pulled out, changed his mind.

This shutdown is entirely on Trump. The Republicans - much as they desperately want to - don't get to rule as fascists dictators. They don't compromise on anything at all. The RW here loves it.

Some poster told me yesterday that the people covered by DACA, some who came here at 4 years old and are now 30 year olds with jobs, spouses who are citizens, kids who are citizens, are supposed to now be deported, this person told me that he didn''t want to live beside such a person because he expected that person to report their parents at age 18, and then report themselves, go back to some country they have no clue about, then apply.

That's the single most absurd and racist thing I've ever heard. The dripping hatred of people who are "others" is so palpable, something even Trump didn't believe in until his idiot racist staff got to him.

So, to the OP, this is on Trump, McConnell, and the type of person who believes in the naked hatred posted yesterday. Stripped of every other tangential concern, it gets down to Trump/Republicans unable to give even an inch on something they knew had to be compromised.

No surprise at all.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The prototypes of Trumps wall looks kinda cheezy. Anyway it looks like Trump has backed off from a full wall infavor of a chainlink fence and natural barriers.

www.nytimes.com...

Land disputes, court battles, and lawyers, tied up in litigation for years and years....the wall will never be built.
edit on 21-1-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

First...any that have felony charges are not on the dreamers program.

Second. Chuck Schumer gave trump his wall. Trump wrote down a number Schumer agreed to it and a few hours later the world's greatest deal maker called him and reneged.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

The bipartisan deal that Lindsey Graham and Dick Durbin presented to Trump was a good deal for the Republicans and it gave the administration the $1.6 billion it was seeking for border security. (it also did away with the DV lottery and made the parents of DACA recipients ineligible for family-based immigration)

Despite his very public, deliberately publicized statements about how'd he'd sign a bipartisan deal put in front of him, "take all the heat," etc — Trump shot it down and had his #hole fit.

It was also reported that Schumer went to Trump at Trump's invitation and put "the Wall" (whatever that actually means these days) on the table. Things were looking good and then Trump nixed that too.

Trump is the holdup here. He made the DACA issue a crisis. The Democrats have been pushing a five-year CHIP authorization for a while and the Republicans deliberately avoided acting then so that they could attach a six-year authorization to a four-week spending bill.

The Trump admin/GOP manufactured crises for leverage.

To your point though, there's was funding for border security in the bipartisan bill and Schumer was apparently open to even more funding.
edit on 2018-1-21 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don’t like CRs to begin with but if the only way to continue funding while a budget is negotiated is with a CR the so be it. BUT, to use the expression of the Democrats “just give us a clean CR”.

It is a total disservice to liberty and our system of government to attempt to hold the country hostage with attempting to add provisions to the CR that are unrelated to funding the government.

Trying to negotiate such items while the government is closed is wrong and I don’t care what political party is in control of what.

This shutdown is on the Democrats because they are pushing DACA and they failed to to step up to the plate with passage of a clean CR.

I think that if the D’s don’t get it together the R’s will go nuclear on the filibuster and the majority of the voters will approve.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

DACA isnt a crisis. A judge has ruled and it looks to be the law of the land until more judicial review is had.

The crisis is sticking a nonbudgetary item in a budget bill.

That aside...screw McConell. That really was dirty.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Interesting. "We will let Trump do something that is perfectly legal, if he lets us do something totally illegal that aids and abets illegal immigration".

Not surprised coming from where it's coming from.

edit on 21-1-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Illegals should not get any government assistance nor should their children. If they are in DACA they should have to remain in school through high school, maintain an above average G.P.A. and stay out of trouble.

We need to abstain from showing people how to make a career out of living off government assistance, we teach these kids how to take advantage of welfare at a young age and they take it with them through adulthood more and more people hear how easy it is to milk the system and they want in as well. They end up entitled and lazy.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Luis Gutierrez of Chicago

hahahah...there's a lot of questionable stuff in his background. He hates President Trump's immigration policies, but, now, all of a sudden, he's okay with building the wall?! I smell a swamp rat grasping for a raft.

Isn't he one of those congressmen not seeking re-election this fall? hmmmm.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Yup I think he wants to spend more time helping Puerto Rico or something to that effect.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join