It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the exact moment 'performance' that changed my attitude about music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
this is the moment that changed it all for me.

i was about to turn 15. i was living in florida with my dad who was a lush and totally disinterested in anything. no music education there. my mom was super into music and had me on the beatles and jackson browne and stuff when i was young but then things happened and no more music education for me.

so i am in florida and most kids my age down there were into golden age rap. i was. but the grunge thing was taking off and i was all over it.

the people i talked to in school were all about grunge. pearl jam. mudhoney. alice in chains.
fantastic music for sure and i am still a fan.

but i did not have an open mind. for me i had all but walked away from the golden age stuff and was sold that the music i just mentioned was the be all end all.
nothing could be better than these #in alt bands that i have discovered.

then i saw this on MTV

this is pearl jam and neil young doing rocking in the free world, 1993.
pearl jam was my #.

so i am wondering who is the old man. no idea. and then he starts ripping # up and i had to know who this was.

i remember calling my mom in ohio and telling her to put on MTV cause some old dude was on stage smashing pearl jam as far as i was concerned.
laughed her ass off and informed me it was neil young and went on to dictate a list for me of other musicians to look into.

and i was a changed man from that day. i have never stopped looking for new music. i have never stopped studying music. i love so many different genres of music.

i went on to discover frank zappa. the entire world of jazz. ragtime #. classical.

anyway i just wanted to share a memory

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
about 5 year after that my mom took me to go see neil live at blossom with the pretenders and it was amazing.
chrissy hynde kissed the stage before neil came on.

it was pretty cool cause blossom is right by kent state and chrissy was there when the kent state shooting happened.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

This might tickle your fancy-Gary Numan showing up in a metal cover of his 80's hit 'cars' by Fear Factory, check it out because like a fine wine it gets better with age,.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Y2K music died. Noise emerged.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Lyrics Mind Control Meh.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Neil is the bright shiny star amongst all the garbage musicians Canada has given the world..

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
Neil is the bright shiny star amongst all the garbage musicians Canada has given the world..

He did some good stuff, did some bad stuff, I sat beside him at the Juno Awards. I liked his speech, to paraphrase, "The music industry is like a smelly body covered in perfume, it still stinks." It was a while ago, a few years, but something like that lol.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I am a music freak! Although I am not a Neil Young fan, I understand why some people love his music. I listen to all types of music and go through phases, but Hard hitting metal has always been my favorite. The rage, passion, emotional roller coaster of Slipknot is my current obsession. I've been learning it inside and out vocally, and on the guitar, and "trying" very unsuccessfully on the drums.
I've always wondered on these singing shows (The Voice etc. ) would they have said to Neil Young, Willi Nelson, Bob Dylan, or any of the unorthodox style musicians. They probably would have been on the gag reel. But there is something about them that really touches people.
When I play acoustic gigs, I will play everything from Waylon Jennings to Slipknot, NWA and Tupac, and Pink Floyd to Bob Marley. Even Lorde and 4 non blondes from a dude. Haha
Music has a way of bonding people from all walks of life.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

i have never stopped looking for new music. i have never stopped studying music. i love so many different genres of music.

You and me both
Music cures the soul.

It's so subjective and some people just don't understand that. They want to argue about how what they listen to is better than what you do and blah blah blah.

I make it a goal to discover new bands at least once a month. I love that feeling of listening to an album and just saying "How the F did I not know about these guys"!

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Great stuff! Check out Pearl Jam playing keep on rocking at the Pink Pop festival on youtube. Awesome intro and 1 of the all time great guitar solos. The energy was unreal. That is the moment they knew they hit the bigtime.

The band has really matured. If you haven't heard Sirens yet check out that song. 1 of my favorite power ballads and Ed's aging voice really shines in it. Gotta love his passion and range. He probably covers 3 octaves in that song.

Peace

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I enjoy different genres of music too. I really enjoyed the vid Tiny! Thanks!

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Sounds like a kind-of similar journey with me, where a love of different styles comes from unexpected places. I was all about the early-90s hip-hop scene, and even though I was in California, I liked Wu-Tang and KRS-One as some of my favorites (but of course, I loved the West Coast gangsta rap, too).

Anyhoo, my dad always introduced me to classic rock, but it wasn't until I turned on "The Doors" movie, with Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison, did I find my new favorite for my teenage years. Now I run a strange gamut from Ska, to Big Band, to 50s rock-n-roll, to classic rock, to hardcore metal, to New Orleans jazz, and every in between and surrounding it.

If someone saw my Pandora list, they'd think that I was suffering from multiple personalities...and that's okay by me. There's just too much good music in the world to be tied down to one style.

Enjoy this one...I love this jam, and it's probably one that most people have never heard:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

dude i go from frank zappa to gang starr to bang wah cherry to woodie guthrie then maybe a little esperanza spaulding
im with ya

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Pretty sure these guy had a weird influence on me.

Think I was 10? 11? My cousin had this cd I was like

Helped me get through the Ace of Base song list that was at every girls bday party in 6th grade.

new topics

top topics

join