It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H&M clothing chain latest target of racial hysteria

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

That's because they can't. Black people can't be racist because they have critical race theory. I'm sure you've heard of it. The idea is that since white people founded this nation and created it's underlying power structures and law, then white people have the most power and because of that, minorities are basically powerless, so no matter what, they cannot be racist as they have no power. Only whites have power, so only whites can be racist.

Of course, if you really crack open a dictionary, we're all technically doing it wrong. What we're really talking about is bigotry and prejudice, not necessarily racism although that still exists too.

CRT has done a big disservice to our country and its social fabric by opening the door to the idea that it's OK for some to hate others for their skin color and tell themselves that it's perfectly OK while not accepting that behavior in return. It's a massive double standard.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Lmao, seriously people grow up. This automatic racism b.s. has to stop.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Please Read.

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW
The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
C'mon man...

I don't even know what to say to this one.

You have to see this from the perspective of a black person who has been referred to as a monkey as a racial slur for generations.

All I can do is shake my head at the lack of awareness.

That said; are we sure this is racist or just blind, deaf, and dumb?

Lost in translation, its a Swedish company they probably had no clue that was a racial slur.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

originally posted by: Tempter
Blacks will NEVER rise above their own mental slavery in this country until they truly want to.

I'm sure it must be a powerful thing, trying to deal with what they believe is institutionalized racism but no white is going to put it behind them for them.

I wonder how long blacks need to get over it. Another 50 years? 100?

It's sad to know that the collective can't get over this. It really is. Kinda pathetic, honestly.

How can you really fault a person for believing blacks are inferior when they constantly treat themselves that way?

Honest question.

Also, white supremacy isn't exactly a crazy idea to me because I understand history. Whites found blacks in a near prehistoric state of society. They were sold as slaves. They oppressed them for over one hundred years. It should be no suprise if whites feel superior. They've had the upper hand forever!

But in spite of all that we fought to give them their freedom. We ensured equal protection under the law. We made them citizens. Today we embrace them in our factories, diversity meetings across businesses nationwide, and they have woven into the very base fabric of our society and culture. We even elected a black man to the Presidency, giving blacks the highest honor in the land. Whites did that. White people did that for Blacks, too. They didn't even do it themselves.

But they still can't get over their own mental prison. Why?

Can they ever? We haven't seen a truly successful black population, ever. And don't try to tell me Egypt. Blacks were slaves in Egypt, too.

How many more years do you need to get over it, Black America? How long will you imprison yourselves?

It's tiring and I'm sick of waiting. And I'll save my own rant of having to deal with modern black racism, particularly against white males. You know why? Because we can take it.

~White guy.

The Irony of white supermacy is that whites as in Europeans are not even the dominant race on earth, that will go to people from south east Asia (Korea etc etc).. This is not VooDoo science the IQ and overall general concensus tells us that. They will also not accept multicultral rhetoric forced on them, polical correctness does not exist to be used as a tool there...

As a white person that spends months at a time in Asia (here now) I can say that the "average" white person could not really compete, esp at a academic level. They are not only smarter but have far more disipline and that is where I believe the Crux of the matter is regarding certain cultures failing at the most fundemental level of society..

When every oppurtunity is given for it to fail time and time again for even more excuses to be dragged out it is simply time to come to the logical conclusion.

Japan had two f#ckung nukes dropped on it and suffered the disgrace of having to surrender during WW2, yet they are now a powerhouse, they did that from a absurdly bad position that makes some current whining farcical..

RA

Racial supremacists can't see beyond their own race, no surprise there.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Edumakated

Look at your own response.

"Completely numb" ... maybe the OP was, and isn't that what we should be striving for? At some point, shouldn't it start to be no big deal to see that kid in that shirt because most people are "completely numb" as you put it?

I get why people are up in arms, but when do we begin to let it go? Isn't that when this all will begin to heal?

Some of the responses are like people telling Vets suffering from PTSD to just get over it. They can't relate to the sh*t they've seen so they don't really understand why vets get triggered so easily. The black community is suffering from a form of PTSD and unfortunately, it is not something that people will just get over.

With that said, I certainly believe that the black community, aided by liberalism, has latched on to a form of victimology which encourages seeing a racist boogeyman around every corner. However, the black community cannot simply just forget the systematic and legal oppression that occurred any time soon. I really think some white folks just don't get who screwed up things were for black folks in America up until barely a generation ago.

I've long stated that the civil rights movement was too successful in that white people have moved on faster than black people could heal which has created situations like this OP where some whites can't fathom why black people would be upset.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Yes, I get that, but PTSD is due to trauma directly suffered. This is becoming generational. Maybe parents and grandparents should work to stop traumatizing the children because that's the only way it's passing on.

We work very, very hard to not pass racial attitudes on to our children. It's been ingrained in us that we do not have our own culture. There is no *white* culture, not that we talk about because that's racist. There is no white this or white that unless someone of another race calls it that. For us, we don't do it that way; we aren't allowed to own it, never have been. It's all supposed to be part of healing our past in this country.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism

Yah but why do you suppose his parents allowed him to model the shirt?

Um, they got paid to model in the advertisement. They may not have even seen the shirt or in some cases, the clothing is actually photoshopped on to the models nowadays. Just because someone is black does not mean they won't participate in something that could be potentially offensive to the community at large.

The point is most American blacks would have seen the shirt as being potentially offensive even if there is no ill intent.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

H&M is a European company. If the shoot took place in Europe and not in the US, it's also possible this was not even thought of as a racial thing. Racial attitudes are a bit different in Europe too.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
C'mon man...

I don't even know what to say to this one.

You have to see this from the perspective of a black person who has been referred to as a monkey as a racial slur for generations.

All I can do is shake my head at the lack of awareness.

That said; are we sure this is racist or just blind, deaf, and dumb?

gimmie a break

I see blacks with "thug ni99a" t shirts all the time, and we know the history as well as they do.
Please explain that "perspective" to me again ..
edit on 9-1-2018 by acackohfcc because: sp

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

It's the "a" vs. the "er" at the end I think. Plus the ownership of the word debate.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Yes, I get that, but PTSD is due to trauma directly suffered. This is becoming generational. Maybe parents and grandparents should work to stop traumatizing the children because that's the only way it's passing on.

We work very, very hard to not pass racial attitudes on to our children. It's been ingrained in us that we do not have our own culture. There is no *white* culture, not that we talk about because that's racist. There is no white this or white that unless someone of another race calls it that. For us, we don't do it that way; we aren't allowed to own it, never have been. It's all supposed to be part of healing our past in this country.

I don't disagree, but at the same time, you also have to remember a lot of the older generation suffered through it. All those young adults in the history books being sprayed with water hoses, bitten by dogs, and knocked up side their heads by Boss Hogg / Bull Connor type cops are still alive for the most part. The trauma is still there. It is only natural that cautious lessons will be passed on.

I agree that the black community could do a better a job of "getting over it". We do see far too many younger people using racism as an imaginary crutch.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I wasn't necessarily referring to the older generation. My dad came from those times with some less than commendable attitudes and impressions.

But it doesn't seem to be getting better only worse, and academia seems to be institutionalizing some of the attitudes that should be starting to die.

Things like BLM are a step in the wrong direction, not because they may or may not have legitimate concerns but because they are going about their protests in the wrong way IMO. There are a plethora of concerns all around that need to be addressed, but driving everyone away by endless lashing out and accusation of strictly racism as the sole cause is not the way to begin any kind of constructive dialogue or understanding. It only makes people angry and frustrated and tired.

I want to help, but I have to be met halfway, and I can't be met halfway until I stop being looked at as the enemy.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Not well researched obvioulsy! and non rational minds need to vent cause they can't see past their own ignorance! it is a terrible phrase in every way! people probably even purchaced it thinking it's cute! so instead of simply recalling the shirt by way of customer complaint, lets punnish and boycot and shut down the whole bussiness for somthing most likley made in china where they dont understand the implications! and missed by someone who let the hoodie get to the American marketoh well mob rules

edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: added a Y

ETA
I'm thinking that the person who designed those hoodies did this on purpose just to get everyone worked up over it! maybe even a Chinese way of messing with people! who knows! just a thought

edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: had a thought

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: trollz

Yes, the kid is cute. Yes, little kids can act like freaking monkeys. It is what little kids do.

So why not just leave it at that? Why can't it just be a cute kid wearing a funny shirt? Why always racism and hatred instead of just kids being cute or whatever?

However, black people have been frequently called apes and monkeys as slurs so we are extremely sensitive to it.

And anybody with a brain obviously knows black people aren't monkeys, so why be so sensitive to such a ridiculous concept? That's why I said it makes people seem like they have an inferiority complex. Being so sensitive to a simple word, especially when that word very possibly didn't even have a negative connotation in the first place, implies weakness of mind. Do you think I get triggered every time a black person calls me a racial slur? No, because I have self-confidence, and my opinion of myself comes from myself, not what words other people call me.

Again, you are not comprehending the severity of how apes/monkeys were used to denigrate black people. Yes, the shirt is harmless by itself. However, on a little black boy, it creates an image that is offensive to those of us with even a passing knowledge of how black people have been portrayed using apes and monkeys.

I think for most black folks, it doesn't warrant marching or some speech by Jesse Jackson. However, it is clearly an offensive picture and whoever approved it should have had more foresight into how it may have been perceived.

Black people are easily triggered by these types of things because believe it or not, it was a big freaking deal and we aren't that far removed from it. My mother drank out of colored water fountains. Sorry, a black person calling you honky or cracker does not carry the same weight of the systematic and legal oppression that the black community faced. This is why you aren't triggered by such things.

And this right here; is exactly the problem. You think it's totally okay to call white people "Honkey" or "Cracker" even though it's oppressive. Despite knowing the context of that shirt; you're choosing outrage and imposing your OWN context onto it.

Have you ever drank out of a colored fountain? Oh, you haven't? Stfu then.

The problem is in YOUR head, not in the designers.

I've been discriminated against by black folk for being white. Called a honkey, a cracker, and privileged, when all I was trying to do was complete my work order, but you think that's A OKAY.

You're the problem. The problem? Racism. You're racist.

The idea that offensive content is offensive in general is ludicrous. What you find offensive, I do not. What I find offensive, you do not. There can never be a standard. Stop chasing one and get over it already.
edit on 9-1-2018 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Look at your own response.

"Completely numb" ... maybe the OP was, and isn't that what we should be striving for? At some point, shouldn't it start to be no big deal to see that kid in that shirt because most people are "completely numb" as you put it?

I get why people are up in arms, but when do we begin to let it go? Isn't that when this all will begin to heal?

Some of the responses are like people telling Vets suffering from PTSD to just get over it. They can't relate to the sh*t they've seen so they don't really understand why vets get triggered so easily. The black community is suffering from a form of PTSD and unfortunately, it is not something that people will just get over.

With that said, I certainly believe that the black community, aided by liberalism, has latched on to a form of victimology which encourages seeing a racist boogeyman around every corner. However, the black community cannot simply just forget the systematic and legal oppression that occurred any time soon. I really think some white folks just don't get who screwed up things were for black folks in America up until barely a generation ago.

I've long stated that the civil rights movement was too successful in that white people have moved on faster than black people could heal which has created situations like this OP where some whites can't fathom why black people would be upset.

No they aren't. Your analogy works better if you say, the Son of a Veteran who had PTSD. If framed in that way, you quickly see how it just doesn't stand on it's own two legs.

It's like the dude who said "My mom drank from colored fountains!" but he didn't, so why is he acting like it happened to him when it didn't?

The people with PTSD have gone through stuff, the people who didn't, don't get to act triggered for those who did. No black person alive today who isn't a geriatric, drank from colored fountains. That doesn't happen anymore, so can we stop acting like it does?
edit on 9-1-2018 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

The online outrage caused by the Swedish retailer’s pick of a black child modelling a hoodie with the words ‘Coolest monkey in the jungle’ emblazoned on the front, has forced the company into an official apology

Many users on Twitter went as far as calling for a boycott over H&M’s alleged racism. However, Luke Gittos, law editor of Spiked magazine, believes the controversy is overblown and reflects a kind of outrage mentality online.
Source

Clothing chain H&M recently added some new jungle-themed clothing to their website. One child modeled a shirt that said "survival expert" while another child modeled a shirt that said "coolest monkey in the jungle". The problem? The child wearing the shirt that happened to have the word "monkey" on it was black. Now people across the internet are outraged and calling for a boycott of the company for being "racist". H&M has apologized and removed the picture of the black child from their website.
To the black people who may be reading this: When you get outraged by things like this, it makes you look like you have an inferiority complex. If you're that triggered by the word "monkey" on a jungle-themed children's shirt that you want to boycott a company, then there might be something deeper going on in the back of your mind somewhere. If you want people to take racism seriously, then stop nonchalantly throwing around the "racist" accusation at every possible opportunity. It's like the boy who cried wolf. Eventually it's going to become so ridiculous that nobody is going to listen any more.

The people who constantly see racism where none exists are often the racists themselves. I'm white, and all I see is a little kid wearing a shirt. I don't care what color he is, and I'm certainly not thinking "Ha! That black child is less than human because his shirt has the word 'monkey' on it!".

I think it's ridiculous to get worked up about stupid # like this but....I dunno...someone had to have realized what they were doing. Those kinds of pictures are usually planned out and in this day and age of # like sensitivity readers and people flipping out daily about this kind of crap. Seems hard to believe that someone along the way didn't make a concious decision to put that particular kid in that particular shirt. Someone made that decision. On the otherhand people need to stop reading too much into this # and honestly just get over it.

Though it does make me wonder how many memes of that kid have been made by now.
edit on 9/1/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/1/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

The real racists are the people who see this and scream "racism"!

Because this is causing massive SJW butt hurt, I will be shopping at H&M for the foreseeable future.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
Well that child has parents, and they clearly did not have issue with him modeling that top. If the parents and child did not give a hoot, everyone else is raging for their own agenda.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

To the black people who may be reading this: When you get outraged by things like this,

Knowing a few black people myself, when does this outrage happen, I know for a fact that my friends are currently sat at home eating their tea, seen little outrage myself from black people.

Maybe you should have said
"To the black people who may be reading this: IFyou get outraged by things like this

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join