It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What music makes you cry?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I wholeheartedly believe that music can touch you emotionally and damned hard and that it also has the power to help heal emotional wounds.

I haven't shared this story much since I've distanced my life and lifestyle from my family now but these two songs always remind me heavily of my father. He passed away in August last year. I miss him sometimes but he was an alcoholic, my mother kicked him out when I was 16 and he just got worse and worse. He ended up living in various shelters, moving around between them until I heard he had passed. It's one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, sit by and watch somebody destroy themselves both physically and mentally. It does kill me a little inside when I'm laid in bed every so often, and I can't help but wish more than anything that I could have at least said goodbye to him. He died, curled up in some disgusting shelter alone and scared.

I'm not bringing a downer here though. I've moved on and would love to find more emotionally charged music.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Riley.
edit on 8-1-2018 by 2FurryMidgets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Rap, it's just so awful I can't help but shed a tear.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I'll skip rap lol.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This made me cry. It was a perfect moment all things considered.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 2FurryMidgets

I can't listen to Mama by Boyz to Men or Dance with My Father by Luther Vandross without tearing up.

I also have a hard time with the Temptations Silent Night. My dad used to always play the song during the holidays, so when I hear it I am reminded of him singing off key.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

She has such a beautiful and powerful voice and when a crowd feels the vibe too, it's so special.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

All songs I adore.

Whilst it is probably not to everybody's tastes. A lot of Björk's music tends to hit me hard in a good way. Just wonderful.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

She Talks to Angels

For both its beauty and subject.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Rap, it's just so awful I can't help but shed a tear.

This is likely my favorite comment of all time.

Good one!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

It's one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, sit by and watch somebody destroy themselves both physically and mentally.

Stopping to consider, maybe the reason he drank so much was to hide from the effects of how somebody destroyed him.

Many alcoholics and addicts struggle to cope with the fallout of abuse suffered when they were younger. Many never recover, the damage and pain runs too deep.

To Hell with all the assholes of the world that physically, emotionally and verbally abuse children that can't defend themselves.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I undoubtedly know why he was the way he was and why he did it all. I'd just rather not share any further details.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

This song makes me cry every single time.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I actually had my first "Musically Induced Religious Experience" this past week. No, I'm not religious, but it made me weep like I had just met little baby Jesus in person.

You can find listen to the full albums on youtube (but it's better to actually own the music, artist support + no interruptive ads), but the albums:

1. Beggars
2. Major/Minor

By Thrice.

These guys are hands down one of the best bands I've ever heard, and the lyrics are something you DO NOT hear anymore. They have meaning, deep intricacies.... My soul was touched in places I never knew existed. Dustin (lead vocalist) is one of a kind when it comes to song writing.

100/5, would definitely recommend.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
All I want is you - U2

I love the music vid as well. It's about a love story between a midget and a female acrobat in travelling circus shot in black and white.

It'd be a nice walk down the wedding aisle song. To build tension the bride would walk down during the instrumental at the end.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I get what you're saying. My ex was abused by his friends mother for a few years. It really messed him up and he turned to hard drugs. I kinda wish I knew he was okay. I loved him so much and he broke my heart into a million pieces when we broke up. HRL

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Thats why I didn't bring a sad song, I don't presume to know the details, understand your privacy completely.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Ah, it's Mr. (?) WeirdName.

A song that can get me every time, and it still does as I'm listening to it now, is Toby Keith's "Who's That Man," from 1994.

See, I was in the middle of a very, VERY contentious divorce in 1988, one so bad that it left some lasting scars on how I view certain events in life (not marriage...I'm happily married almost 16 years now). It took YEARS for the events of the divorce to calm down--really, it took me at age 12 (the legal age in California) to decide that I wanted to live "full time" with my dad (visitation with my mom every other weekend). That happened right around the time that this song came out, and being a very empathetic person, I always felt bad for my dad (my mom wanted the divorce while he wanted to make things work, he had to move out, he had to upend his life, he had to see my mom dating very soon after the divorce was finalized, getting re-married within 2 years, etc.) and wondered what his outlook on having to deal with it basically alone from the start was like.

When this song came out, even though I had moved in with him at the time, I feel like it was a reflection of how he felt, it made me wonder how many times he may have driven by without me knowing it, etc., etc.

Like I said, it still gets me, 20 years later, so I'll stop now. Please, by all means, ignore the mullet and cheesy video--it is early-90s country, after all. And no, country isn't my preferred genre, this song just gets me.

Seriously, ignore the mullet.

Also, one of my new favorites is the Justin Timberlake/Ana Kendrick version of "True Colors," from the movie "Trolls," of all places. It doesn't necessarily make me teary-eyed, but it's pretty damn beautiful.

And don't be so hard on rap, there are some good rap songs out there.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

I kinda wish I knew he was okay. I loved him so much...

Fortunate he is to have had that love from you. Sounds like you don't blame him either, that = true love.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym
This made me cry. It was a perfect moment all things considered.

www.youtube.com...
I'm going with her New Year's eve performance just over a year ago. Laughed til I cried.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
youtu.be...

You have warned.
edit on 8-1-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join