It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn Arctic Deep Freeze

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH
Would you stop scaring her? This is one of the simplest household fixes in existence. It is literally easier than fixing a leaky pipe, or even mowing the lawn. Green to green, black to black, white to white. Shave about an inch off each end, twist the braided #2 wire together, and then wrap with tape. Then tape it all up together after. Its even easier than making most bake goods from scratch.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Okay, so here's the scoop:

I grabbed the flashlight and went back out to the garage and had a looksy poo under the hood of my car. Followed the block heater cord down to where it connects into the actual block heater, I was hoping that I could completely disconnect the cord from the block heater.

But it turns out where it's located, there's just no way for me to get down in there with my hand to try to unplug the stupid thing so I could bring the cord in the house and connect a new plug at the table.

It's currently -30 celsius in the garage, so the thoughts of horsing around with trying to add a new plug on the end of the cord (I found a nice 3-prong plug in one of our toolboxes with the screw-on connectors) leaning under the hood of the car while freezing my fingers off.... well forget it.... not my cup of tea if you know what I mean.

Hubby might enjoy this kind of thing, but not me. Not in friggin arctic temps.

If I could've simply disconnected the plug from the block heater and brought it into the house to fiddle around with, then plugged it back into the block heater once it was all fixed, I definitely would have done that.

After watching a few youtube videos, it really is a super easy thing to do (apparently all block heaters have a separate easy-to-unplug cord connected to it - and I looked up the block heater specific to my vehicle), and also no worries about getting zapped either.

But not in -30 celsius finger numbing temperatures. Nope, I don't care how damn easy it is.

Fuggedaboutit !

Mental note to self:

Next year's xmas present for hubby.... an industrial portable heater (with handy dandy remote control) to hang somewhere in the damn garage.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
ABORT MISSION

Whew. Thank Goodness. That was close.

Now, let the stress over this flee. Relax.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I hate winter too. Hate it. The only thing I hate more is summer.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Greet hubby at the door holding a beer and wearing just a smile.

And maybe some poutine in a bowl or dish or whatever you Canadians serve it in.

Best birthday present ever!

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Happened to me once in December. I now unhook both terminals when I shut mine off for the night or at my bus stop for the day. I have a Wrangler so its a bit easier for me to do than most.

This cold is a nightmare. I descended from Vikings and I am usually running hot everywhere I go but this cold cuts to the bone. I find myself turning up the heat and that is very rare,

Anyway, ya battery thing sucks and I feel your pain..

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm now sipping on a Bailey's Irish Cream n' Coffee and relaxing in my flannel jammies, the world will have to carry on without me.

Ground control to Major Tom,
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

Armageddon countdown in T minus 3 days...

edit on 3-1-2018 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

lol. Sounds like the day is ending much better than it started. I've given three dogs baths today, so that was no fun either. When it's time for their faces, they act like I'm trying to kill them.

I'm ready to track down my flannel jams too. Maybe a little glass of Grand Marnier. : )

Ahhhh. Relaxing is so relaxing.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Hehe

Thanks for being my cheerleading squad, support group, and Work/Health Safety Inspector all rolled up into one.

Cheers to you !

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

My pleasure! I think I've related to your dilemma because I've created so many of my own. I first try to figure out how to solve the problem on my own, and if I fail, it is typically because of some physical limitation. Like my hands being weak as water. grrrrr.

But the cold? That deep freeze? I wouldn't have lasted more than a few seconds.

You did good.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Been there, done that... my brother dared me so of course I had to do it (I was only 5 at the time).

Couldn't eat anything salty or spicey or really cold or really hot for over a month waiting for the top layer of my poor tongue to grow back.

But my brother was grounded for two months because of what he did.... so it was kinda worth it.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Feels like 5 degrees in ATL. Now come on peeps, proportionately that's got to be worse right?
We don't have block warmers or thermal underwear.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Well that's about what ? -15 celsius ?

Yup, that would be bad for people who aren't used to those types of temps... and particularly if they don't have any of the proper attire to bundle up with.

-15 celsius would be 'chilly' for someone like me... but for someone who's more used to hot temps and humidity and very rarely ever sees the temps drop below freezing, that would be bloody traumatizing to their body !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join