It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft and Google vs Apple

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Ever tried running Netflix on a Macbook? Turns it into a toaster....

So lately I was finding my Macbook running hot, and this time it turns out it is Google Chrome. Switched to Safari and the thing is cool as a cucumber again. Google and Microsoft are purposely writing code that make apple products inefficient, how much power is being wasted all over this world due to this?

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Your MacBook has a dedicated GPU? Could Chrome be using the GPU while Safari isnt? That could account for the heat.

Chrome is a hog anyways.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Your MacBook has a dedicated GPU? Could Chrome be using the GPU while Safari isnt? That could account for the heat.

Chrome is a hog anyways.

Turning your equipment into a spy apparatus makes it burn more energy.

Very green of them.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: EvidenceNibbler

Why are you running ANY of that?

What does that have to do with Microsoft? Microsoft didn't have anything to do with Chrome or Netflix.

You should be on Linux if you want to complain about the big power-players. Who, aside from artists and people who like wasting money, buys an apple computer? Talk about wasting money.

Perhaps it might not hurt to actually use a can of compressed air, or an air-compressor to blow out the vents on your device as I am sure you have some dust-bunnies in there, or would that be silk bunnies from your silk sheets?

Oh don't take it personally, I'm just razzing you.. I had a client recently with an apple laptop.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis

What does that have to do with Microsoft? Microsoft didn't have anything to do with Chrome or Netflix.

You should be on Linux if you want to complain about the big power-players. Who, aside from artists and people who like wasting money, buys an apple computer? Talk about wasting money.

Perhaps it might not hurt to actually use a can of compressed air, or an air-compressor to blow out the vents on your device as I am sure you have some dust-bunnies in there, or would that be silk bunnies from your silk sheets?

Oh don't take it personally, I'm just razzing you.. I had a client recently with an apple laptop.

Well smartass, Microsoft's employees developed Silverlight, which is what Netflix at one point required as its in-browser player before migrating to HTML 5.

So...

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

Netflix runs Microsoft Silverlight, which is the offending program causing OSX to run in circles and heat up the products.

Books as clean as a whistle and running cool as a cucumber now after shutting off Chrome.

edit on 30-12-2017 by EvidenceNibbler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   

And if you find that your sound, trackpad, volume keys ect don't work with whatever build of Linux you have...you didn't really need those "features" anyway.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I don't know if this is proof of this kind of behavior from companies, but I have heard of things like this before.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I have also noticed this with my Mac. I think it’s just because streaming HD video is quite intense for the processor. I think also getting hotter is more noticeable with the metal body in a Mac, this is obviously worse if it’s on your lap.

Funny though how they don’t just have a Netflix app for macs though, that could help.
edit on 30-12-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
My Mac has been acting similar recently. I wonder if this isn't a variant of the technique used to slow down iPhones?

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: abago71
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
My Mac has been acting similar recently. I wonder if this isn't a variant of the technique used to slow down iPhones?

Wouldn't put it past them.

I do suggest switching to Safari if you are using Chrome right now, it's made a huge difference in battery life and heat generated.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I have also noticed this with my Mac. I think it’s just because streaming HD video is quite intense for the processor. I think also getting hotter is more noticeable with the metal body in a Mac, this is obviously worse if it’s on your lap.

Funny though how they don’t just have a Netflix app for macs though, that could help.

That happened to one of my PC's when I tried playing a 3D movies. It would completely whack the Intel CPU. Meanwhile another AMD CPU and future Intel CPU's didn't have the problem. I think it's due to floating point calculations. Early CPU's just emulated SIMD instructions (for video compression) using an overclocked FPU. Future CPU's had the real deal.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Heat issues, amongst other things, with my Macbook Pro led me to giving it away and getting a proper computer.
2 years on and I am a fully recovered appleholic.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Heat issues, amongst other things, with my Macbook Pro led me to giving it away and getting a proper computer.

Is there like a 12 step program or something for that because I think I have a problem.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: UKTruth

Is there like a 12 step program or something for that because I think I have a problem.

It's only an 8 step program

Step 1 - admit you are addicted to overpriced junk
Step 2 - admit you are susceptible to advertising
Step 3 - admit that apples operating systems are awful and far from easy to use
Step 4 - find someone who you can give your apple products away to. Important not to receive money for them.
Step 5 - apologise to the person/people you gave your apple products to and pass on the 8 step program to them
Step 6 - decide on which PC or laptop and Android phone you want to buy (it's here you get the reward of realising just how much more you can get for the same price as apple junk)
Step 7 - buy them.
Step 8 - laugh at people with apple products

edit on 30/12/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

And if you find that your sound, trackpad, volume keys ect don't work with whatever build of Linux you have...you didn't really need those "features" anyway.

I recently loaded up my touchscreen I7 Toshiba laptop with the Linux distro "Elementary OS". It's not much more than a new desktop running Ubuntu. I fully expected to spend days, if not weeks, trying to get everything working again. I had no problems and even the touchscreen still works. Got rid of Windows 10 although I don't have anything against it.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
My one concession to gaming is a multi-platform city simulator.

The Mac version is a hog. Runs slow, the computer case gets very warm and the fans pick up. A CPU utility shows the processor temps right at the margin, a few degrees from throttling.

Now go into Boot Camp. Windows 10 version of the same game on the same hardware runs smooth and cool, no fan pick up at all.

Conspiracy? You tell me.
Probably more a case of a "Mac too" port not optimized for the OS.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
maybe they are truly compatibility issues?

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

I haven't had issues with that in many years, even running current-spec hardware.

My razer keyboard is fully functional, as is my r.a.t 3 gaming mouse. Sounds runs fine through my wireless cordless Corsair headset. Hmm, 6 years ago, and I'd of agreed a little, but that way only with RAID devices.

./Shrug MMV.

posted on Dec, 30 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

originally posted by: Cygnis

Well smartass, Microsoft's employees developed Silverlight, which is what Netflix at one point required as its in-browser player before migrating to HTML 5.

So...

Ahh, We'll. I don't run or use silverlight in linux, so I don't really have that problem.

Chrome v42 doesn't use Silverlight, unless you enable it.

Windows 10 doesn't come with Silverlight, and edge is not using it anymore either.

Netflix prefers html-5, but still supports silverlight for older systems.

So, you tell me. How current is the macbook pro system, versus current systems, hmm?

Thanks for playing. =)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join