It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Radical diet can reverse type 2 diabetes, new study shows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Radical diet can reverse type 2 diabetes, new study shows
www.theguardian.com...

Low-calorie diet caused remission in 90% of trial patients who lost 15kg or more...

A radical low-calorie diet can reverse type 2 diabetes, even six years into the disease, a new study has found.

The number of cases of type 2 diabetes is soaring, related to the obesity epidemic. Fat accumulated in the abdomen prevents the proper function of the pancreas. It can lead to serious and life-threatening complications, including blindness and foot amputations, heart and kidney disease.

A new study from Newcastle and Glasgow Universities shows that the disease can be reversed by losing weight, so that sufferers no longer have to take medication and are free of the symptoms and risks. Nine out of 10 people in the trial who lost 15kg (two-and-a-half stone) or more put their type 2 diabetes into remission.

“Substantial weight loss results in reduced fat inside the liver and pancreas, allowing these organs to return to normal function. What we’re seeing … is that losing weight isn’t just linked to better management of type 2 diabetes: significant weight loss could actually result in lasting remission.”

Now this is great news for those who do have T2D and are looking for alternative ways of combating the disease. Interestingly enough what caused the disease (over-eating on high calorie foods) can now be undone by doing the opposite!

I remember posting a thread on here about how people who fought in a war and had T2D came back with no diabetes. Why? Because during war many soldiers pretty much survived on bread, beans and water...so essentially they were starving in war. Radical weight loss for them and no more diabetes. This study just proves my thread. I love it

edit on 5-12-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

So dont be fat? Yeah we allready knew that.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Problem is when someone suspects a problem with their health they go see their doctor. Problem is doctor says ok here is a drug. Take it and you will be somewhat normal. You would think doctors will not really want you to lose all that weight so they lose money on commission of drug sales do you? So, ironically people will trust their doctors for their "sound" advice.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I would say that this is common sense?

The second poster is lacking the latter.

Warmest

Lags

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

Problem is when someone suspects a problem with their health they go see their doctor. Problem is doctor says ok here is a drug. Take it and you will be somewhat normal. You would think doctors will not really want you to lose all that weight so they lose money on commission of drug sales do you? So, ironically people will trust their doctors for their "sound" advice.

Oh, nonsense. Doctors regularly counsel patients to lose weight. There is a BMI chart in every examining room in the country. You'd be surprised at hat level you are considered "overweight." It's extremely low. Doctors do not get "commissions" on drugs. If you think so, prove it. Certainly mine does not. The pharmacy operation is completely separate. Besides drugs for T2D are now generics and extremely cheap. Since so many people take drugs like Metforin, the cost has been driven down to pennies a pill. A doctor's advice is a lot more sound than yours.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Good post. Most people don't know that type two diabetes is caused by intramyocellular fat in the muscle tissue, which prevents the insulin from allowing the glucose to enter the cells, hence the accumulation of glucose in the bloodstream.

Sugar indeed exacerbates the condition once it is present, but is not the root cause itself.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Oh, nonsense. Doctors regularly counsel patients to lose weight. There is a BMI chart in every examining room in the country. You'd be surprised at hat level you are considered "overweight." It's extremely low. Doctors do not get "commissions" on drugs. If you think so, prove it. Certainly mine does not. The pharmacy operation is completely separate. Besides drugs for T2D are now generics and extremely cheap. Since so many people take drugs like Metforin, the cost has been driven down to pennies a pill. A doctor's advice is a lot more sound than yours.

Your doctor may not get kickbacks, but a stupendous amount of them do, from the pharmaceutical companies, obviously not directly from the actual pharmacy.

www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Dr. Atkins was talking about his diet for diabetics for years.

Too bad no one listened.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Dr. Atkins was talking about his diet for diabetics for years.

Too bad no one listened.

This Dr Atkins? Who was prone to heart attacks and had severe atherosclerosis?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a) that's obviously not a real photo

b) wow, ATS doesn't like that wikipedia link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Atkins_(nutritionist)#Cardiac_arrest

i'm not advocating for atkins but try not to be too much of a BS artist, okay?

and OP must be skinny as hell or never go to the doctor, the ones i see always have something to say about losing weight, whether what i'm there about it even tentatively related or not.
edit on 5-12-2017 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I eat healthy and exercise regularly. I self educate than to medicate. Skinny? 6ft 190lbs and lean with a six pack. I am a tradesman and work hard and play hockey on weekends. Let me tell uou something i am a big advocate for education. If you assume anything less you are as hopeless as the picture of "Dr. Atkins" posted above. Grow a pair.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ZombieZygote

That's fake news.

Dr. Atkins suffered from a chronic viral heart infection.

The heart attack was unrelated to his diet.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I eat healthy and exercise regularly. I self educate than to medicate. Skinny? 6ft 190lbs and lean with a six pack. I am a tradesman and work hard and play hockey on weekends. Let me tell uou something i am a big advocate for education. If you assume anything less you are as hopeless as the picture of "Dr. Atkins" posted above. Grow a pair.

wow, excuse the hell out of me. i wasn't trying to be insulting, just to say that your experience was different than an overweight persons, so you may not have the best idea of what doctors actually say to overweight people.

no need to be a dickhead about it

ETA: great news from the study, part of why i'm losing weight now is to avoid negative health consequences in the future. part of the reason why i'm able to lose weight now is i'm also getting treatment for my anxiety problems. it makes staying on track with healthy eating and exercise possible.

doctors usually recommend losing weight, and they can support their patients in doing it... but they can't make them do it. and withholding medication to try and force people to do it would be harmful, i think.

props to you for your active lifestyle. it's not always as doable for others, but no one's being fat just for the fun of it.
edit on 5-12-2017 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
For the majority of people, this will work. But this should be done under the direction of a doctor, they need to monitor some things while you are doing it. The thing is that if you are taking meds, a major crash can occur which can be very dangerous. Talk to the doctor, most know that this is a problem for most heavy people.

Not all people with type two diabetes are fat though, losing weight by dieting can cause some bad side effects if you are not that fat with diabetics too. Some doctors know quite a bit about this, others know how to push pills. Sometimes diet does not correct type 2 either, some metabolic function can be destroyed by the diabetes if they don't notice it in time, which permanently keeps you on pills. But still the majority of people on diabetic meds can benefit by losing weight. That has been known for years.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

wow, excuse the hell out of me. i wasn't trying to be insulting, just to say that your experience was different than an overweight persons, so you may not have the best idea of what doctors actually say to overweight people.

no need to be a dickhead about it

ETA: great news from the study, part of why i'm losing weight now is to avoid negative health consequences in the future. part of the reason why i'm able to lose weight now is i'm also getting treatment for my anxiety problems. it makes staying on track with healthy eating and exercise possible.

doctors usually recommend losing weight, and they can support their patients in doing it... but they can't make them do it. and withholding medication to try and force people to do it would be harmful, i think.

props to you for your active lifestyle. it's not always as doable for others, but no one's being fat just for the fun of it.

A long time ago I used to weigh 223 lbs and would eat everything in site even when I was going to the gym. My breathing became more difficult and felt quite sluggish. I knew I had to change something and my high caloric intake was out of control. So I focused on healthy eating by actually researching benefits of certain foods and pretty much took out a lot of carbs and consumed more veggies and cleaner meats (no more ground beefs) while cutting out junk foods (including processed) altogether.

I wasn't trying to be a dickhead but I will be to someone who assumes one thing rather than ask me for my own experience on a certain topic. I know some people who have T2D and are insulin dependent and so anything I can do to help educate them I will.

If you look at my past threads I have posted on here you can see I do research on a lot of health..aside from the odd alien/ufo conspiracy or something in fragile earth. So I am compassionate once in a while. Just be a little nicer that's all.

Btw I commend you on your wanting to change your health for the better. It is not an easy thing to do and requires a lot of effort and willingness to go through some pain to get the gains. Positive self talk and ridding yourself people who don't push you to become who you want to be is big game changer too.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

ETA: great news from the study, part of why i'm losing weight...

I have to also point out one thing and it may be different for you. One thing I hate in life is losing. It makes me feel bad. I thought often about losing weight but it gave me unhappy feelings. I mean, after investing a lot of food into myself was a lot of work too! LOL

I had to change the way I wanted to approach the "new" me. I recited to myself instead of losing weight, what would it take to create a lean weight for myself. In other words...I told myself what do I need to do and eat to be a certain weight and be very creative about it. And that goal changed my game plan to get the foods that would aid me in reaching that goal. Same with activities. You have to trick your brain by using different vocabulary first. And then work really hard and think why you are doing what you are doing. Prove everyone wrong that others can't do...you are going to do it and feel proud!

BY THE WAY...the bonus of leaning out and getting that flatter tummy (taking the ginger, lemon, water, honey mix diet) makes other parts of your body much bigger, especially for the male

edit on 5-12-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

BY THE WAY...the bonus of leaning out and getting that flatter tummy (taking the ginger, lemon, water, honey mix diet) makes other parts of your body much bigger, especially for the male

lol... well i'm a woman, but congratulations

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

lol... well i'm a woman, but congratulations

Hahahaha..well then, ummm?

If you get a chance to buy yourself a juicer and make veggie juices that helps curb those bad habit munchy cravings. Celery and carrots work wonders!

If a lady wanted bigger tah tah's i would recommend some beer (according to Manswers).

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Juice - I don't see how taking the fiber out of veggies make them any healthier

Carrots - limited for diabetics because of high sugar.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Terrific news.

Gonna be tricky convincing people with diabetes to go on a 17 week 800 calorie diet where all they are allowed to eat in a day is 4 small milkshake things. But... gotta be worth it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join