It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat Earth? Nah. But wait; what if this isn't the real Earth?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ruiner1978

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: InhaleExhale
a reply to: dragonridr

No because you would stillhave to store the information eveen if it wasnt rendered in case it needs to be. To give you an idea to map aa human and the current positions of each cell would require more computing power then we have on the entire planet.

and if reality is a simulation then this quoted below really isn't an issue

I don't think there is a computer big enough to simulate everything, like every blade of grass in the 'world' every beach pebble, every leaf, every snow flake (with every flake thought to be unique ?) every raindrop, and so on ?

in which you agreed to.

If we are in simulation then our computers are a part of it.

Yes, the computers that we have knowledge of cannot process anywhere near that much info.

However, if the OP is saying reality is a simulation then something which we know as computers that run small simulations here for us to use for whatever purpose is most likely the only way of understanding what is running the simulation we experience as reality.

Who or what programmed the machine running the simulation or who or what created the computer to run simulations on is a whole other ball game of wild speculation and imagination.

Nonsense you dont get to use magic computers. Information needs tobe stored and requires space to do it. A computer simulation works by keeping track of interactions between objects. As i said earlier just keeping track of whats going on in 1 person requires more computing power then we currently possess.

Wow!
You are really struggling with this aren't you...

One last time for you...

The computing power we currently possess is IRRELEVANT.
If our reality is a computer simulation, our computing power is part of the simulation.
The computing power running the simulation IS NOT our computing power.
The computing power running the simulation is OUTSIDE of the simulation, OUTSIDE of our reality.

Is this really too much of a concept to grasp??

No your just not thinking logically at all. Doesn't matter where the computer is it would require more information to be stored then the simulation would have . So if day our universe was a simulation the computer needed to hold that much information would have to be about 10 times as massive as all the matter in out universe. Has nothing to do with where computing power comes from that's just stupid

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
What if there are billions of universes?

What if our universe is just a universe inside a universe billions of times larger that ours.

and ...

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ruiner1978

No because you would stillhave to store the information eveen if it wasnt rendered in case it needs to be. To give you an idea to map aa human and the current positions of each cell would require more computing power then we have on the entire planet.

and if reality is a simulation then this quoted below really isn't an issue

I don't think there is a computer big enough to simulate everything, like every blade of grass in the 'world' every beach pebble, every leaf, every snow flake (with every flake thought to be unique ?) every raindrop, and so on ?

in which you agreed to.

If we are in simulation then our computers are a part of it.

Yes, the computers that we have knowledge of cannot process anywhere near that much info.

However, if the OP is saying reality is a simulation then something which we know as computers that run small simulations here for us to use for whatever purpose is most likely the only way of understanding what is running the simulation we experience as reality.

Who or what programmed the machine running the simulation or who or what created the computer to run simulations on is a whole other ball game of wild speculation and imagination.

Nonsense you dont get to use magic computers. Information needs tobe stored and requires space to do it. A computer simulation works by keeping track of interactions between objects. As i said earlier just keeping track of whats going on in 1 person requires more computing power then we currently possess.

Wow!
You are really struggling with this aren't you...

One last time for you...

The computing power we currently possess is IRRELEVANT.
If our reality is a computer simulation, our computing power is part of the simulation.
The computing power running the simulation IS NOT our computing power.
The computing power running the simulation is OUTSIDE of the simulation, OUTSIDE of our reality.

Is this really too much of a concept to grasp??

No your just not thinking logically at all. Doesn't matter where the computer is it would require more information to be stored then the simulation would have . So if day our universe was a simulation the computer needed to hold that much information would have to be about 10 times as massive as all the matter in out universe. Has nothing to do with where computing power comes from that's just stupid

And you're still struggling...

What ever would be running the simulation would be an advanced technology.
I thought this was common knowledge when it came to this theory!
We're not talking about trillions of Dell laptops from PC World all linked up!
THAT is stupid!

I'm not thinking logically, you say??
You're not thinking at all!

It's clear you have no understanding of the Simulated World Theory, others here get it, you're the only one still talking nonsense with a non-arguement. Do you need a link, or would you prefer to continue to embarrass yourself?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Ruiner1978

i have to wonder why you put so much effort into avoiding answering a simple question

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i have to wonder why you put so much effort into avoiding answering a simple question

And it's no wonder that you didn't state your counter argument again...

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Im not struggling at all you just have zero understanding of how computers work. Lets say we have super advanced computers that use spin for on and off. So we have a computer that 1 bit equaled 1 atom. As a bare minimum you would need to use 6 atoms to identify anything with error correction 8 atoms just to label one atom in our universe. Once labeled we can assign it properties You figure minimum of 32 if you wrote the code properly. So i allready need 40 atoms just to define 1 in our universe. So i all ready need 40 times the matter of our galaxy just to assign the basic building blocks. Then comes the interactions that would need tobe programmed between atoms and then the difference between groups of atoms. Lifeforms trough in even more equations because not only do you have to keep up with biological functions but now you have to plan for movement from place toplace and those interactions as well.

Only a fool would think this possible. But heres the realkicker If you believe you’re living in a computer simulation, then everything you think you know about the world—including the concept of computers,planets,stars or your existence—is part of that simulation, and so is completely worthless. Because its all a simulation we have no core information on anything and no data. In other words even debating it is pointless because our reality wouldnt change. Thougicould see people coming despondent if they found out. Which leads to another point if we are simulated wouldnt the creator have theability to remove thoughts that could negatively impact the simulation like oh i dont know thefact were not real. Just creating a simulation for 1 person wouldbemind boggling but billions would be impossible this isnt the matrix.
edit on 12/6/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   

oh FFS - we really do have an evassive little critter dont we

why are you so adamant to avoid answering such a simple question

and my " counter argument " is the question - because as i state - i am now convinced that people are using a flawed view of what a simulation is

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: InhaleExhale

if reality is a simulation then the computer running it is far more complex than any machine we can come up with and so it is my opinion that the computer running it doesnt exist within this dimension or in fact within this universe and is not machine like in nature but more a biological field or being of some epic grandiose scale as to be completely mind boggling

such as shiva in the godhead multi dimensional form

precisely

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Nonsense you dont get to use magic computers.

Try following what said.

The op suggested that our reality, meaning everything, the whole universes, multiverses and what not are a party of a simulated realty.

The only way to try and explain a computer system running it would be yes, a magical computer, something we cannot comprehend the processing power because to simply simulate just 1 human like you say using our understanding or whats real requires a phenomenal amount processing power.

As i said earlier just keeping track of whats going on in 1 person requires more computing power then we currently possess. At a minimum our simulation would have to keep track of every atom.

By we aren't talking reality but speculating in a skunk works thread.

And heres the problem any simulation the computer has to have more storage space then the size of ghe simulation.

did you even read what you were replying too?

Its no issue because the imaginary computer we are speculating about running the simulated reality we experience has that processing power.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Its no issue because the imaginary computer we are speculating about running the simulated reality we experience has that processing power.

that gets a gold star for circular " logic "

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

another poster talking about logic in a skunkworks thread based in a speculative idea.

I wouldn't even call it a theory as others have.

Its the imagination running wild.

Us humans being the models in a simulated reality is fun to entertain.

Yes, circular logic and complete nonsense is used with this thinking

once in a while this type of thinking creates an amazing fiction to be told.

Many ideas that are born in the fictional world find a way into the real world once our knowledge and understanding catches up to the nonsense and circular logic that came up with idea in the first place.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Im not struggling at all you just have zero understanding of how computers work. Lets say we have super advanced computers that use spin for on and off. So we have a computer that 1 bit equaled 1 atom. As a bare minimum you would need to use 6 atoms to identify anything with error correction 8 atoms just to label one atom in our universe. Once labeled we can assign it properties You figure minimum of 32 if you wrote the code properly. So i allready need 40 atoms just to define 1 in our universe. So i all ready need 40 times the matter of our galaxy just to assign the basic building blocks. Then comes the interactions that would need tobe programmed between atoms and then the difference between groups of atoms. Lifeforms trough in even more equations because not only do you have to keep up with biological functions but now you have to plan for movement from place toplace and those interactions as well.

Only a fool would think this possible. But heres the realkicker If you believe you’re living in a computer simulation, then everything you think you know about the world—including the concept of computers,planets,stars or your existence—is part of that simulation, and so is completely worthless. Because its all a simulation we have no core information on anything and no data. In other words even debating it is pointless because our reality wouldnt change. Thougicould see people coming despondent if they found out. Which leads to another point if we are simulated wouldnt the creator have theability to remove thoughts that could negatively impact the simulation like oh i dont know thefact were not real. Just creating a simulation for 1 person wouldbemind boggling but billions would be impossible this isnt the matrix.

You most certainly are still struggling.
The way our current computers work is also irrelevant.
You know what advanced technology means don't you?
That's what we're talking about here, possibly even alien technology.

And no, I do not believe we're living in a computer simulation.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

oh FFS - we really do have an evassive little critter dont we

why are you so adamant to avoid answering such a simple question

and my " counter argument " is the question - because as i state - i am now convinced that people are using a flawed view of what a simulation is

You clearly have nothing of relevance to add here...
Muddy the waters much?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

You i refer to the second paragraph

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Welcome to Earth 17.0.1 please wait while we install the latest updates, then feel free to enjoy all of the new features.

Next free upgrade coming soon!

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

free upgrade you having a laugh ?

they took EA's DLC and microtransaction model and ran wild

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I am actually surprised no one has compared this simulation theory to the Sci-Fi episode from Star Trek Next Generation, where a hologram character (Moriarty) is self aware that his world is not real and wants to be freed from it. It is not possible, but he is deceived into believing that he is released and can freely explore the universe.

True, it is simply creative fiction. Yet, one could ponder the Adam and Eve story is similar. A snake perhaps gave them knowledge that their 'garden' was not real. They believe they were sent out into the real world but perhaps they were only deceived as well.

Man strives to reach the heavens...tower of babel story. Perhaps, the more advance system was not sufficient enough at that time to allow man to explore the heavens. Now, their technology has advanced and is able to create an seemingly expanding universe?

I can't say that this is what I believe, but it is fun to ponder the possibilities.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

You i refer to the second paragraph

And you I refer to any of my paragraphs... Again...

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

another poster talking about logic in a skunkworks thread based in a speculative idea.

They got over excited by the first reply on page one and forgot where they were.

Often happens with the groupies...

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Im not struggling at all you just have zero understanding of how computers work.

haha.

What is your professional experience.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join