It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CONCERNED - Corporate America is NOT Confirming President Trumps Tax-Cut Promises.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Greven

Looks like the Senate is about to throw in the towel, and start again on Monday 12.4.2017.

Nope.

They voted against adjournment, the vote will commence on the tax plan shortly.

It is hard to work a whopping 138 days a year, LOL. One of them must have gotten tired and demanded that Adjournment roll call vote. Thanks for the info, Greven.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It was more to read the bill... it's 500 pages and they were still scrawling in notes on the margins a couple of hours ago while crossing out chunks of text.

Nobody truly knows what is in this bill at all.

Now they're voting on a series of 3 amendments, perhaps more, to the bill.
edit on 21Fri, 01 Dec 2017 21:17:32 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago12 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Do you think the House will just sign-off on the Senate bill, or will there be a conference between House/Senate to extract a final bill that takes the best of both House and Senate packages?

What is that strange location wording in your "reason for editing" wording? System generated?

edit on 12/1/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
There will have to be reconciliation on this, they have pretty big differences... unless those got changed in these recent revisions.

I know one of the revisions is special consideration for a particular (private I think?) university, which is also crazy to have in a sweeping tax reform bill.

Reason for editing is system generated, yeah... I don't know why mine is different.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Bernie Sanders' amendment that required 2/3rd majority to cut medicare / social security failed.

Well, their intentions laid bare for all to see - 54 voted against this amendment, almost all Republicans.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

There will have to be reconciliation on this, they have pretty big differences... unless those got changed in these recent revisions.

I know one of the revisions is special consideration for a particular (private I think?) university, which is also crazy to have in a sweeping tax reform bill.

Reason for editing is system generated, yeah... I don't know why mine is different.

Ironically, the college that would benefit is the one that my wife graduated from, and sends money to frequently.
Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan.

The provision would exempt any college or university that declines federal funding under Title IV from a new excise tax on university endowments. In the Republican bill, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), any university with an endowment larger than $250,000 per student would be subject to a new 1.4% excise tax.

Democrats say only one college, Hillsdale College in Michigan, has an endowment large enough to qualify for the excise tax and also refuses Title IV funding. Sen. Pat Toomey, who sponsored the language, acknowledged it would benefit the college.

Source: www.businessinsider.com...

The Senators who have swore to vote "no" on this bill, are the ones complaining. Alternate reality I guess.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
For those who prefer to read what is being said, instead of listening to it, go to www.senate.gov... and click on "Watch Live Floor Proceedings" at the top of the page. There's a "Closed Caption" button on the player window.

YouTube used to have this, but not any more.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Ah, I see.

So they're levying a tax on income earned by universities with large endowments, but one happens to meet the conditions to not get taxed.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Ah, I see.

So they're levying a tax on income earned by universities with large endowments, but one happens to meet the conditions to not get taxed.

Yep...there happens to be one University at this moment in time. Others can access the same tax-break if they feel it's worth it to give up the Title IV funding...whatever that is.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Well, Pell grants are Title IV.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Depends, if you are a business that needs that extra 10% to expand you business then it really matters, especially for small businesses.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Well, Pell grants are Title IV.

Thank-you for that link. Now I better understand why Hillsdale College has so few minorities.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

If you go to this site www.youtube.com... you can watch/make comments as the votes progress. Some funny and crazy comments. Fun to participate too.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Senate just voted 51-49 to pass the tax cuts.

It's possible that the House could take the Senate bill (which nobody really knows what is all in it now) and votes on that, or some hybrid of the two could be voted on by both chambers.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Senate just voted 51-49 to pass the tax cuts.

It's possible that the House could take the Senate bill (which nobody really knows what is all in it now) and votes on that, or some hybrid of the two could be voted on by both chambers.

In the post-vote press conference tonight, McConnell says that the two bills will be merged (what the President terms as being put in "the mixer") and ready for the President to sign before Christmas.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Does that mean that someone is going to read it first?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join