It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Girls Self-Harming, Trying Suicide at Increasing Rate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
US Girls Self-Harming, Trying Suicide at Increasing Rate

Attempted suicides, drug overdoses, cutting, and other types of self-injury have increased substantially in US girls, a 15-year study of ER visits found.

It's unclear why, but some mental health experts think cyberbullying, substance abuse, and economic stress from the recent recession might be contributing, the AP reports. The sharpest increase occurred among girls aged 10 to 14, nearly tripling from 2009 to 2015, from about 110 visits per 100,000 to almost 318. Older teen girls had the highest rates—633 visits per 100,000 in 2015, but the increase after 2008 was less steep.

The rising rates "should be of concern to parents, teachers, and pediatricians," says Dr. Mark Olfson, a psychiatry professor not involved in the CDC study published in JAMA. "One important reason to focus on reducing self-harm is that it is [a] key risk factor for suicide."

Self Inflicted Injury is a coping mechanism to stay alive - it's not failed suicide attempts.

So sad God's been taken out of schools, homes, etc. I see it as a direct reason why 'youths' are so miserable these days. Adults too.

Drug overdoses and other self-poisonings were the most common method for all, followed by intentional cutting with sharp objects. All injuries were intentional, but not all were suicide attempts, says Mercado.

Thank you for a voice of reason.

So sad to sit and watch this society flushing it's self down the toilet - for lack of knowledge and willful ignorance.

You’ll see what I mean in a moment when the ignoramuses enter with their opinions.

peace

edit on 5313Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: spacing

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

It probably has more to do with untreated mental illness and the extreme stresses young people have to face in this messed up world, rather than God being taken out of the classrooms. Has God been taken out of their homes too? Probably not.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It's further confirmation that full societal reset is the only hope.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Sad indeed and I can't help but think, especially at that age, that cyber bullying and the ability to compare oneself socially via social media platforms too often leave an individual feeling left out or not good enough.
How many of these girls are on anti-depressants too?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

so you quoted that experts in this stuff think that substance abuse, cyberbullying, and economic stress could be factors... but to you it's just a god's not in our schools thing?

bless your heart.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

Oh it's coming and a lot sooner than you think.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

So sad God's been taken out of schools, homes, etc. I see it as a direct reason why 'youths' are so miserable these days. Adults too.

Aaaah, that´s why the people in the middle ages were all so civilized, when they all believed to those crappy fairy tales of these religious cults, now i got it!
Thanks for enlighting me!

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

They should travel more. Non party themed trips.

They may never get over their issues, but when the world grows for you those problems seem smaller.

edit on 11 22 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

It probably has more to do with untreated mental illness and the extreme stresses young people have to face in this messed up world, rather than God being taken out of the classrooms. Has God been taken out of their homes too? Probably not.

Or over-medication.

Double-dose = Double-trouble

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

Oh it's coming and a lot sooner than you think.

No it isn't, because I'm ready for it now.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Taking God out of the classroom has stopped teenagers caring for each other. For me, high school just seemed to be a conveyor where certain students always got into the top two classes simply for which street they lived in (wealthiest parents, right religious clique, influential parents who were professors, lecturers, hospital consultants, army generals). Everyone else had to fight for what was left. If you had street friends you could walk home with from your last class, you we re lucky. Otherwise you were left to fend for yourself. Bottom classes were punks. Classes inbetween were the party people.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
At work we do see alot of that kind of self harm behavior prior to a suicide attempt. That being said the self harm behavior can be ongoing for quite some time till things escalate.

Its also true that those doing some form of self harm like cutting, may not progress to suicide. BUT, if we note it as part of a secondary exam, it should be followed up for sure.

Self harm also doe snot mean mental illness as most would define. Rather in some cases it represents a means to deal with stress, it can also point to external versus internal issues leading to the behavior.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

so you quoted that experts in this stuff think that substance abuse, cyberbullying, and economic stress could be factors... but to you it's just a god's not in our schools thing?

bless your heart.

Yeah, the same so called 'experts' that give little 13 year old girls IUD's without telling their parents, think gender identification is real and let's see what else - the ones who facilitate the removal of children from their family if the child isn't' allowed to act outside their gender, etc. I could go on but I'm sure you know who I mean.

Yeah, 'those' experts.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Taking God out of the classroom has stopped teenagers caring for each other.

Im pretty sure if you took a hard look at statistical data (IE private catholic schools where its god god god 24/7 vs a public school) there would be similar numbers.

But regardless its a major issue.
edit on 11/22/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

They should travel more. Non party themed trips.

They may never get over their issues, but when the world grows for you those problems seem smaller.

I agree. I wish every young American could travel outside the boundaries of this society.

Might wake them up a bit.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

"'experts' that give little 13 year old girls IUD's without telling their parents"

I was soo getting ready to give you a tongue lashing, good thing I googled. Holy crap, in 21 states it's legal.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I knew a "self-harmer" teenage girl.
Very scary stuff to deal with. Parental issues?
Conversations led me to think she did it for the attention it gave her from seeing it on social media.

It would be interesting to see the rise in birth control hormone manipulation, social media, and outside influences be studied for these such events.

Insane ways to cry out.

I agree with you, silo13.
My own thoughts are that He can save them, if they reach out.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

edit on 22-11-2017 by Prankster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

"Conversations led me to think she did it for the attention it gave her from seeing it on social media"

It's totally being glorified on youtube.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Probably has a lot to do with the psychological damage done to young people in public schools. I don't know how old the rest of you are, but when I was still in high school they began ratcheting up the psychological warfare on us. Schools had more in common with re-education internment camps than they did with institutions of learning and free-thinking. It is also no coincidence that the school shooting phenomena also manifested at this time.

I can only imagine how much further the darkness has crept in the last decade or so.
edit on 22-11-2017 by sooth because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2017 by sooth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join