It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Girls Self-Harming, Trying Suicide at Increasing Rate

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
a reply to: silo13

No... You saved yourself. You're the one that did all the heavy lifting, don't given the credit anywhere but to the person who did the work.You. If you were really so into Christ's message you wouldn't be so in your face with all of the preaching and judgement towards anyone who doesn't agree with you or share your own version of faith.

No, I didn't 'save myself'.

There was no way I could have 'saved myself' as a 5 year old taking it up the ass.

And no, I didn't do the ' heavy lifting'.

Christ did... He kept me from fear then. I went 'to Him' - and you can babble on at the mouth all you want. You were not there (Thank GOD) and you didn't have to 'not' experience it... Something hard to explain and I don't care to take them time to try to now. Not to insensitive ears.

And really, lol, what does a 5 year old know of humiliation? You don't. That comes later.

While it's 'happening' - all you want is to 'go away' or 'Mommy' but while your heart is screaming for 'mommy' she's taking a shower and always comes out of the bathroom with dry hair.

It's a shame you and others believe I am 'preaching' when all I'm trying to do is to tell you there is SOMEONE OUT THERE - who will save you. Then, now and in the future.

And, He will.

That's not preaching.

That's the Holy Spirit offering you the greatest Christmas present you will ever have the possibility to get.

If you accept it.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
i'm happy for people who find solace and strength in religion. i'm glad they have it. it's not my thing but what works for me doesn't work for everyone, and i wouldn't go around telling everyone to do it my way.

having been a christian in the past, i understand that some churches and paths leave you with the feeling that you have to advocate for christ's way to anyone and everyone whether they want to hear it or not... but if that's the path you choose, you chose it. don't throw a hissy fit when people aren't receptive to the message your'e shoving out on the constant.

just my two cents

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I highly doubt this has anything to do with schools containing less religious teachings.

For example, there are numerous reports showing that teenage drug use (HERE), teenage alcohol & tobacco use (found in previous link), and teen pregnancies (HERE) have all dropped dramatically in recent years.

If it were really about religion in schools, wouldn't that "prove" that teens commit the above mentioned vices less when religion is not in schools? If anything, I'd suspect the blame is more on the parents for not ingraining it in their children's minds that their lives are precious (as well as the other obvious factors like mental illness).

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
i'm happy for people who find solace and strength in religion. i'm glad they have it. it's not my thing but what works for me doesn't work for everyone, and i wouldn't go around telling everyone to do it my way.
having been a christian in the past, i understand that some churches and paths leave you with the feeling that you have to advocate for christ's way to anyone and everyone whether they want to hear it or not... but if that's the path you choose, you chose it. don't throw a hissy fit when people aren't receptive to the message your'e shoving out on the constant.
just my two cents

This kind of reminds me what Saffire said:

I know how staunch Christians are, i was one a long time ago, which is why i'm not now.

So if I get this right - that Christian's are 'staunch' in their beliefs is why she stopped being a Christian?

I just don't get that, lol.

That's like saying 'I'm a Seahawks fan - but I wont cheer them on or wear their gear.'

Really? That’s ludicrous.

And my team? Team Christ? We’re not playing a game.

Sadly? People can't seem to understand I'm not trying to 'force anything' - I'm trying to share something out of concern and love for other people.

If you want to take a chance on your everlasting life by being 'willful' - hey, you've got free choice. I just don't get why anyone would want to make the wrong one.

None of us are getting out of death and regardless if you believe in God now? That will change the moment you die.

There are no atheists in hell.

edit on 4835Sunday201713 by silo13 because: fix spacing

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

Sadly? People can't seem to understand I'm not trying to 'force anything' - I'm trying to share something out of concern and love for other people.

i don't think you're getting me. i didn't say stop advocating for your beliefs. i said if that's what you choose to do and people aren't receptive, there's not much point in acting super offended and ranting at them. for one, you're not doing your message any good with that self-righteous, precious attitude about it. for two, again, you chose that. just because you're sure you're right doesn't mean you need to inflate your own ego about it every time someone disagrees.

i imagine if jehovah's witnesses reacted to every shut door in their face by egging the house, they'd win even less converts than they do now.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

i don't think you're getting me. i didn't say stop advocating for your beliefs. i said if that's what you choose to do and people aren't receptive, there's not much point in acting super offended and ranting at them. for one, you're not doing your message any good with that self-righteous, precious attitude about it. for two, again, you chose that. just because you're sure you're right doesn't mean you need to inflate your own ego about it every time someone disagrees.

i imagine if jehovah's witnesses reacted to every shut door in their face by egging the house, they'd win even less converts than they do now.

Jehovah’s Witnesses? Now there’s a cult straight from the pits ‘a hell. Really? They don’t have to try hard - who cares if someone closes the door in their face? They’ll end up beside them in hell anyway one way or another.

Me mad? No, I’m tenacious because I care about my fellow ATS'ers. In January I’ll have been here 20 years. There are a lot of people here I love and respect, some as friends in ‘real’ life. God doesn't want anyone left behind and neither do I.

Ranting? I suppose someone who's biased against God’s Word could think I was ranting. Hint: It's just what satan wants you to feel, It's How Satan Keeps Unbelievers in Spiritual Darkness

To someone who knows the truth? God’s word is powerful, and offers hope every single day. I Cor. 1:18 ‘For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.’

Self-righteous? Why? Because I don’t give in, I don’t run with the crowd and wallow in filth. No, that’s God’s righteousness in me, not my own. I used to be 'that' person - not anymore.

Ego... I told you all something I was ashamed of. I even took the post down twice. Then I got a nudge from the Holy Spirit. He told me my ’inflated ego’ was in not sharing my post(s). Inflated Ego was when I was embarrassed and ashamed of my past. Ego would have been skulking away so no one knew.

You know the best part? I don’t have to be embarrassed or ashamed anymore. You now how flipping GREAT that feels?

That's precisely what I want SSI’ers to understand. They don’t have to be ashamed anymore. They’re loved beyond anything you can even realize. They don’t have to cut - Jesus bled enough for all of us on the cross.

Precious attitude? Yeah, His Word and that He came here to die in our place is more than precious. Best gift ever!

If you want to condemn my tenacity with negative labels? Go right ahead, your opinion of me doesn’t count.

What counts is telling as many people I can ESPECIALLY THOSE CAUGHT IN SSI behavior - There is a way OUT!

It’s as easy as stepping out in faith and believing in Jesus Christ.

Pretty simple that.

edit on 1354Sunday201713 by silo13 because: spacing

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
lol okay

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Is it just in the US or is it in countries where society force feeds unrealistic expectations of beauty on young females?

With social media and the rest of media telling young women they need to look a certain way, no wonder we are seeing this result.

I see this behavior in our neighbors girl. She constantly puts her self down, mainly based on what others say. Shes a normal above average looking girl too. If shes doing that, imagine what others are doing to themselves.

How to we fix this?

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

How to fix it. That's the million dollar question.

And I can't answer about cutting outside of Western Cultures - that would be a very interesting thing to look into.

How to fix it. Wow.

Love your kids. Give them all the attention you can. Give them ground rules and be parents not their 'friends'.

Monitor what they watch and listen to, their friends.

In my opinion - keep them in the Church.

It's as simple (and complex) as - well - I see kids on the streets smashing each other about, no respect for themselves or each other or anyone else. They're a mess. On every street corner. And yes, it has to do with a lot of different reasons - poverty, one parent homes, I could expound on and on.

Then I see kids in Sunday School where they're respectful, kind towards each other and their brothers and sisters, well spoken, they have goals and have a whole church to support them.

Like it or not - there's a reason why the difference is so drastic.

I'm not saying there are not people in church that don't cut, have mental problems, eating disorders. But, they at least have something to believe in besides themselves to help them through.

It's not all perfect but it's a start...

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

i went through a phase of scratching myself too, because i had a lot of anxiety, depression, and stress and didn't know how to handle it.

Were you scratching to hurt yourself or were you scratching because the body felt itchy and irritated - scratching to relieve the itch?
edit on 26-11-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
Were you scratching to hurt yourself or were you scratching because the body felt itchy and irritated - scratching to relieve the itch?

to relieve stress... no itchiness... it just came from a place of feeling overwhelmed and upset and the scratching would be an overwhelming enough physical sensation to bring me out of it for a minute.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I was told if that happens again? Wanting to 'scratch'? Keep a thick rubber-band around your wrist and 'snap' yourself out of it.

I'm not so sure this will discourage 'scratching', I would think it would replace it, but I'm not the experts.

(Though I do think I'm right on that though. What's the diff? A sharp stinging SNAP or a the same with a scratch)?

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It called, girls need to stop being so self conscious about boys or their adversaries, keep their head up, an legs closed, and laugh or show some humility when they get older an are well off.

edit on 27-11-2017 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2017 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I was told if that happens again? Wanting to 'scratch'? Keep a thick rubber-band around your wrist and 'snap' yourself out of it.

I'm not so sure this will discourage 'scratching', I would think it would replace it, but I'm not the experts.

(Though I do think I'm right on that though. What's the diff? A sharp stinging SNAP or a the same with a scratch)?

agree, not sure that really makes much difference in the end, i guess at least a rubber band doesn't leave scars.

i think getting a better toolbox to manage stress is really the answer in the end...

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

agree, not sure that really makes much difference in the end, i guess at least a rubber band doesn't leave scars.

i think getting a better toolbox to manage stress is really the answer in the end...

Yep - a better toolbox works best. And you just knowwww what I'd call that 'toolbox'...

Thanks for your response.

Edit to Add: Might as well stick my 'toolbox' in here while I'm at it.
It's a great listen. I would suggest anyone looking for a way out of SSI behavior take a few minutes and listen. It's not a 'preachy' video and only about 34 minutes long. Jump to 4:47 in the first one to get going.

Pastor Robert Morris - How Do I Know? - There is a God
There's two more after this that are just as excellent.

Pastor Robert Morris - How Do I Know? The Bible is True?

Pastor Robert Morris - How Do I Know? - Jesus Is The Only Way

Enjoy!

edit on 4750Monday201713 by silo13 because: fix vid

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yep - a better toolbox works best. And you just knowwww what I'd call that 'toolbox'...

Thanks for your response.

hehe
i'm glad you have found what works for you, and i definitely appreciate that drive to share it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join