It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado doctors claim baby boy is first marijuana overdose death

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

I'd like to see the paper on this and what exactly the doctors consider to be "high concentrations" of marijuana.

See below

originally posted by: visitedbythem
You don't find marijuana in blood. THC and many other Hydrocarbons and terpenes

And that's what they found in the blood of this poor soul:

Post-mortem cardiac blood analysis confirmed the presence of Δ-9-carboxy-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ-9-carboxy-THC) at a concentration of 7.8 ng/mL.

Link to the report: Pediatric Death Due to Myocarditis After Exposure to Cannabis, March 2017.

Their conclusion:

Of all the previously reported cases of cannabis-induced myocarditis, patients were previously healthy and no evidence was found for other etiologies. All of the prior reported cases were associated with full recovery. In this reported case, however, the patient died after myocarditis-associated cardiac arrest.

This wouldn't be the first case of babies dying due to their parents drug use. Perhaps the boy was already developing heart problems, but the ingestion of cannabis precipitated the condition on his already weakened heart. Either way his parents are to blame, just like all parents whose children perish due to their ignorance or selfishness.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
They just outlawed using Gummy Bears for consumables in Ca.

I can see a kid ODing if they ate an entire bag of 100mg.

The flower in raw form...No way

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

The dispensaries don't know anything, the breeders do though.

Um, no. They have to know. Every detail of how the weed is grown and how it is distributed and sold has to be made available to the state and consumers. At least in NV that is the case. I know where our weed comes from.

If you live in NV I suggest you stop by one of these places and talk to them about it.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
We have started encountering this more and more here in California. The core problem is the edibles. A toddler is not going to roll a spliff, however, the brownies that are tasty can be consumed in great quantities.

We have not seen any fatalities yet but its a matter of time.

Also we are reaching out and getting as much info from our colleagues at Denver Children's as despite 22 years a PICU/Peds Transport nurse THC toxisity is a new one for us.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Seems to be a new one for everyone.

We know THC toxicity is a problem in dogs.

Pardon my ignorance, but aren't the biochemical processes and physiological differences in small children like this one different enough when compared to older children and adults? Would it not stand to reason that children of this age could be affected similarly to dogs?
edit on 16 11 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak
a reply to: seattlerat

So one in probably trillions or more marijuana uses MAY have resulted in the death of an 11-month year old.

How many deaths have been proven to be caused by prescription, or even OTC drugs? I don't know but it's a helluva a lot more than one.

This and more.

It's sad, and no sane or compassionate person would ever wish the death of a child. It's not the fault of Marijuana, or THC. It's the failing of the parent to properly "child proof" the area.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Why was a baby smoking weed in the first place?

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

The baby probably ate an edible form of it instead.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

It's all edible bro. Why was a baby eating weed? Was it the effect that killed him or did he choke?

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

It's all edible bro. Why was a baby eating weed? Was it the effect that killed him or did he choke?

There was no mention of choking.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I found this article dailycaller.com...

the boy was well nourished and seemed generally healthy,but was housed in an unstable hotel living situation parents admitted possessing drugs including marijuana,,,,he became lethargic and 2 hours later had a seizure

it is a stretch to say the weed killed the boy

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

You do realize that thee are a number of ways to get cannabis into your system that don't in love smoking right? Edibles, oils, tinctures, creams and lotions for arthritis and on and on. Educate yourself, don't perpetuate ignorance.

It also states clearly in the OP what the cause of death was, myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle).
edit on 16-11-2017 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: visitedbythem

The dispensaries around my area would argue with you on that.

Go talk to the good folks at Blum about where they get their weed and whether it's GM or not.

The dispensaries don't know anything, the breeders do though.

I've got to disagree with that. Most of the dispensaries I visited when I was in Denver last month were extremely knowledgable regarding the products and their point of origin including grow conditions.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

It's not hard for me to believe that the cannabist could have been the facilitating factor to this child's death. I have heard of numerous instances of adults having adverse reactions to consuming edibles.

I definitely think it's time for the medical community to figure out some way to counteract these effects if possible and it's time for the community of cannabis users to establish responsible guidelines as much as possible to avoid this happening.

I am definitely a pro legal cannabis advocate but I have said for a long time that cannabis is being taken out of the context of its natural state and we have been creating highly concentrated very powerful forms of it and as such we are creating a potentially dangerous situation for many people.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy

I definitely think it's time for the medical community to figure out some way to counteract these effects if possible and it's time for the community of cannabis users to establish responsible guidelines as much as possible to avoid this happening.

i think the community does just that but accidents can and do happen with anything.
kids get into their parents # all the time.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Babies are walking at 11 months dude. Lol.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
“We extensively ruled out almost every other cause that we can think of,” Dr. Hoyte said. “Myself, our team, plus the primary team taking care of the patient, plus the coroner who did the post-mortem on the child. And we found no other reason why this young kid ended up having inflammation on his heart.”

He died of myocarditis, not marijuana overdose.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart, is very dangerous in children.

It is usually caused by bacteria, viruses and a host of other reasons.

There is ZERO proof that marijuana caused the myocarditis. They just could not find the cause, so they basically said it must be the marijuana.

I'm surprised any reputable journal published this nonsense, however, there is major push back from big pharma and those in favor of prohibition here in Colorado and other legal states.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This crap belongs in the hoax bin unless there is better sources. There is no way in hell that is a real medical doctor being interviewed and if it is, shame. Literally leaves out all of the pertinent information and talks like we are all elementary kids or something.

Im not buying, first of all, what form of ingestion? The way this article/quote is worded makes it sound as if physical marijuana buds were floating around in this kids blood. Bollocks.

Eta - in this day and age anybody can pay some money and get literally anything published in a medical journal. Shame in itself right there.
edit on 16-11-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yes I do realize and agree that accidents are going to happen no matter what type of guidelines are established..... I guess the most important thing is trying to find some way to counteract the effects of a THC overdose if there is a way. And also to well-publicize the potential negative effects of the Cannabis concentrates and what if any ways there are to counteract any overdoses ( more than is beneficial ).

The other factor is...we're always trying to make something better and more powerful and cannabis is no different....for decades now it has been bred to have higher and higher levels of THC which I personally don't think is a good thing.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sounds like to me the problem here was the adults in the equation, not what did or did not cause the death. That seems to be the case far too often.

Legal or no, weed should be treated like dangerous medications or alcohol when around small children. Parenting 101.

What the substance was is irrelevant.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join