It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Side of LED Lighting

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think the biggest disservice to the LED industry are the expensive bulbs most will end up buying from places like Best Buy and Home Depot.

Many are not even aware of just how extensive the options are, and how much it has advanced in even just the last couple of years.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
I don't understand why there was such a strong push to move away from incandescent lighting.

Because it is highly inefficient due to ever increasing energy demands and a dearth of new power generating stations.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
I think the biggest disservice to the LED industry are the expensive bulbs most will end up buying from places like Best Buy and Home Depot.

As an industry insider I can tell you that if you're paying more than $2.00 for an LED A lamp (the old Edison shapped lamps) you're paying too much.

edit on 16-11-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I completely agree, also as somewhat of an insider (its only a facet of my thang).

I was shocked at how much was being charged at the chain stores. I was silly enough to think it was some sort of typo

Its dropped, but I remember seeing $30+ per bulb. I genuinely thought a finger slipped and added a zero.

One of the strengths of the technology is being able to get just the right light for the application, but I don't know how many are aware that they even come in different types.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Its dropped, but I remember seeing $30+ per bulb. I genuinely thought a finger slipped and added a zero.

Hey now! We need to make some money too since Depot is our second largest customer.

Seriously though, there are actually too many manufacturers out there producing a dizzying array of product, the big thing we end up doing is education to make sure people understand what it is they need.

edit on 16-11-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Realtruth

He's a little behind the times on LED technology, there are indeed RGB LED's that emit red light by use of phosphor on the diode. Our company has already launched LEDs that are targeted for plant growth which cannot have heavy blue spectrum photometry.

ETA: The color you're going to see recommended by many medical studies moving forward is going to be 35K, these is slightly above your typically Edison-style lamp and slightly below older fluorescent lamps.

Yea I've actually seen them on a commercial scale for growing leaf lettuce, they have actually isolated the red spectrum and the plants grow like crazy.

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
Yea I've actually seen them on a commercial scale for growing leaf lettuce, they have actually isolated the red spectrum and the plants grow like crazy.

Yes, ours are for growing 'lettuce' too.

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

No worries, it's something I do for a living.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I mainly posted the article as a devil's advocate, since I've seen so many crappy spectrum led lights out there, however I didn't know that the blue spectrum was that detrimental to our health.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Written by idiots who take things too far.....
Im a cinematographer and light is a daily thing for me.

At one point I owned remote phosphor led lights and they were very specific with their warnings of not forcefully turning on the lamps without the phosphor panels in place.

Yes the blue light if intense e ough can burn our eyes to blindness. But the leds that can do this are either coated or have failsafes so that you cant turn them on without precautions in place.

Mind you you also need a certain amount of intensity in relation to the rest of your field of view. Fx if you looked at the source 50metres away it wouldnt you but if you have it 50cm from your face you could do damage.

Our eyes cant detect that blue spectrum so they dont immediately respond to the light.

Just dont be an idiot and shine any bright light in your eyes... really.
edit on 16/11/17 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I agree again, and apologize with the most dire solemnity for implicating the Depot with anything other than the highest altruism.

I called it "almost literally a death by choices scenario" earlier, and really do feel that way. On a topic that is so vast, it really just creates confusion and probably puts plenty of people off from doing much research (if any).

I strongly feel that LEDs are not only the future, but are vastly superior in every way to competing technology. I ascribe most of the issues people have to ignorance and lack of research. But, when there is so much "stuff" out in the wild, its hard to really blame anyone.

The things that can be done with LEDs is nothing short of astounding though. I think it introduces the ability to really do some amazing things with lighting.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
I mainly posted the article as a devil's advocate, since I've seen so many crappy spectrum led lights out there, however I didn't know that the blue spectrum was that detrimental to our health.

The sentiment for some time is that too much blue light is not good for your circadian rhythms but here's some odd info for you, our top selling colors in both Japan and Scandinavia are in the 5-7K range which is like living in a hospital operating room if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I agree again, and apologize with the most dire solemnity for implicating the Depot with anything other than the highest altruism.

We love the Depot at corporate.

I called it "almost literally a death by choices scenario" earlier, and really do feel that way. On a topic that is so vast, it really just creates confusion and probably puts plenty of people off from doing much research (if any).

I strongly feel that LEDs are not only the future, but are vastly superior in every way to competing technology. I ascribe most of the issues people have to ignorance and lack of research. But, when there is so much "stuff" out in the wild, its hard to really blame anyone.

The things that can be done with LEDs is nothing short of astounding though. I think it introduces the ability to really do some amazing things with lighting.

I agree. If you could see our engineering facility with all the future form factors and technology we are preparing you'd lose your mind.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
If you could see our engineering facility with all the future form factors and technology we are preparing you'd lose your mind.

Uh.. Can I?

While LEDs are only part of my technology suite, they play an important role. I'm always on the lookout for even better options for my applications (which are, admittedly, rather extensive).

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

PM me, me may be able to help each other in our mutual businesses.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Since I am old I have trouble sleeping like most old people do...
I downloaded this program that allows you to set you computer monitor so it can be set to a color temperature that is best for you.

justgetflux.com...

I don't even notice that I have this on now, at first I felt as though I was watching an old yellow screen, then I forgot about it really.
The ONLY time I would turn this off is if I was going to color-correct a photograph, or needed to look at images that need to be true to color as much as possible. For instance, I was just online shopping for bathroom towels and rugs, I really should've thought about turning this program off, but, "Oh well!"

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I believe it. My eyes were great and then when I was in high school I slowly stopped being able to see far away, and now everything is quite dark and blurry for me. I'm not having a severe medical issue or anything just poor/worsening eye sight. I've wondered if it's because of my constant involvement with technology starting at the age of 12, and all the fancy LED lighting everywhere.

Perhaps far enough into the future, everyone will be using those Phillip Hue lights, and they can set an "orange light" at night hours.

-Alee
edit on 11/16/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: Realtruth

First thing i noticed is that this Dr sounds exactly like the nihilists from the big lebowski. Further commentary soon.

This caught my interest because i recently changed all of my workspace lighting to LED. I don't like it very much. It puts a blue hue over everything and changes the "feel" of these rooms. I thought i would get used to it after a couple of weeks, but it still feels "fake".

Also, it is nearly impossible to take pictures of my work and get a good representaion of the colors in my photos. It saps the color and makes photos look bland.

Try a higher kelvin, of at least 3000. This is a much warmer light. Natural, overcast and cloudy days make the best lighting for any kind of work / art photography. If the article is accurate, it sounds like we have to look for a specific rating. I don't like the blue overtones either, so I use warm leds in my home as well.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: artnut
Try a higher kelvin, of at least 3000.

I think you meant to say lower Kelvin, the lower the number the more reddish the light becomes.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
We all know what the SUN can do....ever seen the beach in Boca Raton ? There be a lot of sun induced wrinkles laying on that beach. All leathery looking, like a well worn in pair of chaps.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Yes, thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join