It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coup underway in Zimbabwe?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I read last night the military was saying they're not gonna topple him. As memory serves, didn't Gaddafi's killers say they weren't gonna kill him too? Not very reassuring.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
I read last night the military was saying they're not gonna topple him. As memory serves, didn't Gaddafi's killers say they weren't gonna kill him too? Not very reassuring.

Yeah but Gaddafi's killers were Western backed thugs

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

originally posted by: deltaalphanovember
a reply to: projectvxn

He is highly intelligent, and remarkably sane. Many people have under-estimated him.

But is he is a very very bad man and the world will be a better place when he is gone.

Unfortunately there is a long line of very bad, not so intelligent and possibly insane people hoping to succeed him.
Makes one think of Saddam or Gadaffi, and it might have been better if they had remained.

Exactly why Bush Sr. left Saddam in power. He could see what a quagmire we'd inherit if we ousted him.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Looks like they captured Mugabe and his wife.

www.cbc.ca...

Zimbabwe's army said Wednesday it has President Robert Mugabe and his wife in custody, and is securing government offices and patrolling the capital's streets following a night of unrest that included a military takeover of the state broadcaster.

Interesting!!

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Watch for Mugabe to die of "natural causes" in the next few days. That way he does not become a martyr, and they can have a great big state funeral and still keep his name on the sign at the airport. Grace Mugabe will quietly get eaten by a crocodile one day while washing her clothes on the banks of the Zambezi. (hint: the nickname of the Vice-President who's recent firing started this "coup").

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

Yeah but Gaddafi's killers were Western backed thugs

Yeah, I mean say what you want about the Iraq War but it scared Gaddafi straight. He gave up his WMD. Then Obama-Clinton roll in, get Gaddafi killed, and make sure no one will ever voluntarily give up WMD again.

#thanksobama

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Will a coup make much difference to the economy over there? Like whoi controls the mineral resources / mines over there. Do they continue to run the economy or will there be an economic revolution alongside the political change?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

It may just pay the way for a free election, but as far as I can see, the army supports the fired vice-President aka the Crocodile, and he will be the next president. Speaking to a Zimbabwean colleague, apparently he is extremely bad news.
What nobody wants, (except for the Generation 40 group) is for Grace Mugabe to be in charge.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: deltaalphanovember

If this crocodile geezer can sort out the economy then maybe things can improve from there? A strong hand may be needed by this potential leader to get the economy booming again.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

That remains to be seen. The chances are not good as he is part of the old-guard.

I also think he will face a bitter fight to entrench his position and won't have time to focus on rebuilding the economy anytime soon.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I read this croc guy was going to be good for the economy. Invite back the farmers that Mugabe made into scapegoats plus bring in foreign investment for the diamond zones and other minerals resources. I he can get the economy going then things may improve for the average man in the street who has seen their income and savings destroyed. I asked my local newspaper man (he came over a few years ago from Bulwayo) if it was a good time to invest over there in a nice house while things were rock bottom, he said you could throw your money away onto the fire or that was the risk.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Must read article from the BBC regarding Emmerson Mnangagwa:

One veteran of Zimbabwe's war of independence, who worked with him for many years, put it simply: "He's a very cruel man, very cruel."

Another Zanu-PF official posed an interesting question when asked about Mr Mnangagwa's prospects: "You think Mugabe is bad but have you thought that whoever comes after him could be even worse?"

The opposition candidate who defeated Mr Mnangagwa in the 2000 parliamentary campaign in Kwekwe Central, Blessing Chebundo, would also agree that his rival is not a man of peace. During a bitter campaign, Mr Chebundo escaped death by a whisker when the Zanu-PF youths who had abducted him and doused him with petrol were unable to light a match.

BBC

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Maybe it's time for South Africa to do something and sort things out over there if the locals politicians are so cruel. You have that kick ass military, maybe it's time to step in and sort things out before you get the spill over?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Maybe it's time for South Africa to do something and sort things out over there if the locals politicians are so cruel. You have that kick ass military, maybe it's time to step in and sort things out before you get the spill over?

South Africa needs to sort itself out first. We really cannot afford to get involved in regional politics - especially if it starts getting bloody. We have been getting spillover in the form of economic refugees for years now ... war refugees, not so much. Not yet.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

South Africa as the regional power might have to get involved if things get a bit inter tribal over there. You guys have the power over that region, it just there might be no will to flex your muscles. Can't imagine Britain having the nerve to step in after colonial legacy and supplying the UDI regime through the RSA back door with military equipment right up to 1980 or even lol the military capable of doing so these days. Looks like they gonna be on their own to sort things out which is maybe the best way to sort it.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Yeah, I mean say what you want about the Iraq War but it scared Gaddafi straight. He gave up his WMD. Then Obama-Clinton roll in, get Gaddafi killed, and make sure no one will ever voluntarily give up WMD again.

#thanksobama

Likewise after Saddam Hussein gave up developing WMD Bush junior decided to eliminate him.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I smell 💰

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvilAxis

#thanksobama

Likewise after Saddam Hussein gave up developing WMD Bush junior decided to eliminate him.

Except Saddam kept his stockpiles. Hundreds of our soldiers got hurt identifying and destroying them. Gaddafi completely gave his up and allowed UN inspectors in to prove it. Saddam kept his and kept giving the UN the runaround. Totally different situation.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It seems that Zimbabwe had a very comfortable trade and military relationship with North Korea. I am thinking a carrot on a stick is involved with this - plus timing, the old man couldn't have had more than a few years left.

I wonder if the UN will make a cause to reinstate property rights to those he stole from (total joke, we all know that will never happen).

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Amazing scenes in Harare today. The Zimbabwe people have finally found their voice (and spine) as they gather in their thousands to peacefully demand that Mugabe steps down immediately.

I wish them well.

Live Update

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join