It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the most compelling book promoting an atheistic worldview?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Carl Sagan, the demon-haunted world might be an interesting read for you. Not exactly an atheist book, interesting non the less.
edit on 12-11-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

A few years ago I was a bitter athiest and probably would of recomended reading 'The god delusion' by Richard Dawkins... but these days I consider myself more as an agnostic. So I'd recommend 'An ancesters tale', which is also by Richard Dawkins.

Its not a book that attempts to outright patronize christians and there beliefs, its just a facinating puzzle of evolution, which Ricard Dawkins attempts to put in place piece by piece, in order to let the lay man comprehend it.

Fair warning though, travelling outside your little bubble of the teachings of the bible won't make you happier as a person, it'll also just create more questions than answers.

If your looking for a life of ignorant blissfulness, then your probably better off just swallowing the blue pill, rather than the red... just my opinion.

edit on 12-11-2017 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
What the heck is a book promoting an atheist view anyway? There's no such thing as "an atheist view" beyond "God does not exist"

That's all atheist means. Don't need a whole book to tell you that. Anything else in any of those books is simply the authors personal view of the world, which might be interesting for different reasons, but it shouldn't be labelled as 'an atheist view'.

Their opinions and perspectives are not dependant on not believing in something.

Does your view of not believing that aquaman exists in reality, change how you view or interact with the world?

Not believing in something is nothing like believing in something.

Might as well write a book promoting an "I don't believe in Santa" world view or a "there's no such thing as Bigfoot" world view...

The premise is redundant as it tells you nothing about the individuals perspective beyond that they don't believe in '......'

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
You might try something from Sam Harris. Perhaps "Waking Up" or "Letter to a Christian America".

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I think it would be difficult to find an effective book that "simply puts forth clear arguments" on atheism since it's a lack of something.

How do I write a book that lays out effective arguments against the existence of numbers you can smell? Or argue against the existence of trees that are super great at ballet.

It's a hard position to write from.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Another snarky answer might be "any book at all" ... but that needs too many conditions.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

What do you think is the most compelling book on atheism?

I can only answer your question with a question because...
What in the hell makes you think there is even one?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I would suggest nearly any book or author that delves into comparative religion. Even something like Campbell's The Power of Myth can be pretty interesting reading.

Dawkins, as mentioned, has some pretty interesting material. Though, I felt The God Delusion was "meh," at the very, absolute best.

I've really enjoyed Stephen Batchelor's books as well, specifically Living with the Devil.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
this is not precisely what you asked for, but i found it well-argued and compelling, and gives a good overview of a closely related topic.

Evolution Vs. Creationism: An Introduction by Eugenie Scott

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Almost forgot! Mark Twain's controversial (for the time) Letters to the Earth. It is hilarious. HIGHLY recommended. If i still had my copy i would send it to you.THAT good

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
I know there are many atheists and agnostics here - and many more people of all faiths that are well read. So... I thought this was a good place to ask.

I’m a Christian and confident in my faith. I also like to hear other points of view and keep my mind open to reason. I don’t want to read an atheist book to debate it, but rather to hear it out and learn. It’s easy for me to live in a Christian bubble filled with churchy types, and I realized it’s probably been more than 20 years since I read a book that was centered on a blatantly atheistic world view.

What do you think is the most compelling book on atheism? Where is a good place to start? I’m not wanting a religion-bashing book but rather a book that simply puts forth clear argumemts. So what is some compelling (and preferably friendly in tone) atheist books I could check out?

Thanks in advance!

The SATAN BIBLE comes to mind by Anton Levay I think....good place to start about no-GOD.*

*PS? I really wouldnt read it if youre a Christian and confident in your religious beliefs. Still...knowledge is always a good thing I guess...

MS/Christian

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It is logically impossible and logically contradictory to require another person to prove that something does not exist. We can only prove that something exists, nobody can prove that something does not exist.

Sounds like your in a quandary as to what to believe or not believe. One can lead to great reward, the other to utter destruction.
edit on 12-11-2017 by Plotus because: Donch'a know..

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Speaking as a Polytheist, who came from atheism to my current view. Most atheists will not say it was a book, rather they will say its the lack of evidence of a deity (or deities). One tends to be a monotheist if they require a book to make their mind up.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. I don't know what he believes about God, wouldn't be surprised if he's atheist or agnostic, but in any case the book lays out a secular view of mankind's origins and being, it talks about a lot of things. I actually still haven't finished it but as far as I got it was really good. Brushes on the Fall too. Does more than just advocate for an atheist worldview. (If indeed it does that, been while since I read it.)
edit on 12-11-2017 by Cutepants because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
It is logically impossible and logically contradictory to require another person to prove that something does not exist. We can only prove that something exists, nobody can prove that something does not exist.

Sounds like your in a quandary as to what to believe or not believe. One can lead to great reward, the other to utter destruction.

From American Atheists:

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Older dictionaries define atheism as “a belief that there is no God.” Clearly, theistic influence taints these definitions. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as “there is no God” betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read “there are no gods.”

www.atheists.org...

A God or Gods are by definition and tradition are:

God
ɡäd/Submit
noun
(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
synonyms: the Lord, the Almighty, the Creator, the Maker, the Godhead; More
(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
"a moon god"
synonyms: deity, goddess, divine being, celestial being, divinity, immortal, avatar
"sacrifices to appease the gods"

What one believes - in terms of supernatural realms has no relation to fact (though subjective experience can support a belief in most things synchronistic).

I believe there are realms and perhaps beings that are unseen, supernatural and unmeasurable - spiritual - that we don't currently have the means to measure.

I'm an atheist. I can't prove there is a supernatural world and more then I can prove there are no gods. But I don't believe there is any anthropomorphic self-aware being that either created creation or interferes with the physical and spiritual laws of our reality.

I know that for me - it doesn't matter one way or the other - but I 'believe' that if I follow the wisdom of the wise of all traditions, my life seems to be better.

And one thing I try not to do is judge others beliefs. Because belief is very subjective, and you may have ample supjective evidence that 'god' is real, but I can never have the same experience. Hence I endeavor to practice what has been handed down over centries by the wise.

"Judge not least you be judged" is a universal spiritual truth - IMO.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Any encyclopedia.

K~

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Regnor

Where are the modern day miracles?

Every moment I get to spend with the woman I love is a miracle right up until her or my last breadth. Miracles happen all the time. You just have to know what they are. You have to be able to see them.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Not everyone classifies having sex with a women as being a miracle. Some people have it easier than others.

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Below is a very good 12 minute video introduction into the works of Friedrich Nietzsche. It's not the Friedrich Nietzsche was actually an atheist per se but he certainly provides an intellectual context for being an atheist.

The video gets what being an atheist means a little off. Being an atheist simply means not having a belief in God. Being an atheist does not mean denying the existence of God although practically every theists who cares about what atheists think would claim.

The video however does a really good job giving you insight into Friedrich Nietzsche brilliant criticism of the way the human mind works and the importance of programming our subjective experiences based on our moral values:

Friedrich Nietzsche had some acute criticisms of Christianity. He said Christianity was born in response to Roman oppression. It took hold in the minds of timid slaves who did not have the courage or strength to take what they really wanted. The slaves could not admit to their own failings. So they clung to a philosophy that made virtue of cowardice. Everything the Christians wanted and wished they had in their lives for fulfillment was considered to be a sin. A position in the world, prestige, good sex, intellectual mastery, personal wealth were too difficult or beyond their reach. The Christian slaves created a hypocritical creed denouncing what they really wanted but were incapable of achieving while praising what they did not want was being virtuous. So in the Christian value system sexlessness turned into 'purity', weakness became "goodness," submission to authority became "obedience," and in Nietzsche's words, "not-being-able-take-revenge" turned into "forgiveness." A Christian slave was too weak to have any personal voice and was only capable of bending a knee to whoever was in authority.

Nietzsche pointed out God is dead because compared to previous cultures, God is not the central part of modern life.

Popular Nietzsche Books

edit on 13-11-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Amazed by all the atheists who think a book they have read will turn Christians of faith
Do you really not think that many Christians don't have questions, are scared of learning and reading and reasoning
Do you think we don't read non Christian literature

That you are so much more educated than christians, so much more logical?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join