It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the most compelling book promoting an atheistic worldview?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I know there are many atheists and agnostics here - and many more people of all faiths that are well read. So... I thought this was a good place to ask.

I’m a Christian and confident in my faith. I also like to hear other points of view and keep my mind open to reason. I don’t want to read an atheist book to debate it, but rather to hear it out and learn. It’s easy for me to live in a Christian bubble filled with churchy types, and I realized it’s probably been more than 20 years since I read a book that was centered on a blatantly atheistic world view.

What do you think is the most compelling book on atheism? Where is a good place to start? I’m not wanting a religion-bashing book but rather a book that simply puts forth clear argumemts. So what is some compelling (and preferably friendly in tone) atheist books I could check out?

Thanks in advance!

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

I think if you have to read ANY book to answer the question, you'll never know the answer.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I once considered spiritual atheism but I chose the Jedi philosophy. I have no books to recommend but look into spiritual atheism.

www.centerforabetterworld.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I'll go the somewhat snarky route and say 'The Bible'. You got to admit a lot of it is hard to believe. Where are the modern day miracles?
edit on 12-11-2017 by Regnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

I think if you have to read ANY book to answer the question, you'll never know the answer.

That’s a pretty disappointing response and truly lacks humility. I love reading, as many people do. I usually read 1-2 books a week. I enjoy learning. Why not seek out a book on a subject or philosophy you don’t know much about?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Can't help you, as far as books go. Before I officially dropped my Christian faith though, I was really interested in the opinions and debates of two somewhat prominent atheists. Matt Dillahunty, and Aron Ra. Both can be found on YouTube. Matt is part of a group in Austin Texas that produces a show called 'The Atheist Experience'. The bulk of the show is open lines for those who believe in God (any God or Gods) to call in and talk about it/make their argument. Matt was also a Christian for 25+ years. Aron Ra has a ton of videos from talks he has given, as well as some video series talking about creationist logic, etc. Of the two, Aron can come off as a little aggressive at times.

There are other resources of course. I mention these two because I liked their format/approach/debates/discussions. They were both influential to me in allowing myself to be honest with what I believed and admit that religious beliefs don't make a ton of sense, let alone follow logic and reason.

Matt Dillahunty - YouTube
Aron Ra - YouTube
The Atheist Experience Archive

edit on 11-12-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Regnor

I'll go the somewhat snarky route and say 'The Bible'. You got to admit a lot of it is hard to believe. Where are the modern day miracles?

I struggle with many Old Testament stories, honestly. And there are indeed modern day miracles - but I’m not here to debate. Just hoping for some honest book recommendations.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Thank you!! Very helpful - I check those out.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I love reading too. I'm talking about reading books such as the bible or whatever other religious book you want to name, for the answers to the "God" question.

All the answers are already inside you. Take a quite walk in the woods, sit by a peaceful lake and just relax and think. You don't need a book written by other people thousands of years ago to get in touch with spirituality and answer your own questions.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Thanks for clarifying

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Read

Guide to the Bible by Issac Asimov.

Comes in two parts, one for the old Testament and of course, the other for the New Testament.

Truly a great read by an author without a dog in the race.

It is available on-line.

P

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

May your journey down this road be enlightening.

I mean that honestly. However your mind is changed or not!

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Okay I do have a book.

Christopher Hitchens - God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.

Maybe you can even find the audiobook he narrated himself.

Scratch that. Found it.

God is Not Great Full Audiobook

edit on 11-12-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: links typo etc.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The book of pimps.
To believe in God, one has only to witness a woman.
The rest is history. To know god, one has only to carry a cross that leads all the way to a woman.
The pimps are atheists who don't love women. And now you must decide if your mother, and sister, and daughter, and wife, and granddaughters are hos.
Anything other than that is blasphemy. Go figure...

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
You might try Bertrand Russell's "Why I am not a Christian." He does not present his views emotionally and uses solid examples for his arguments.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I don't know about promoting atheist views. But rick strassman's "dmt: the spirit molecule" and mckenna's "food of the gods" might give you a little different insight into how religion plays into our society.

Good luck

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

If you only knew the power, of the dark side.

*shakes fist*

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Thank you for the many excellent suggestions here. I’m looking forward to diving in!

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I suppose this might cross the orbit you seek in some sense. It either expounds on or supersedes the Bible. That would be the Urantia Book.

I am fully Christian, but I believe Humans are predisposed towards deities and a God Consciousness. I think it's either genetic or by logic.
edit on 12-11-2017 by Plotus because: It was destined

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join