It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research reveals controversial insecticides are toxic to songbirds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   
There have been reports of insects and even bird species on the decline.. Finally a study that links all that mess with seeds coated and crops sprayed with neonicotinoids/pesticides..

"Studies on the risks of neonicotinoids have often focused on bees that have been experiencing population declines. However, it is not just bees that are being affected by these insecticides," said Christy Morrissey, U of S biology professor.

Research led by Margaret Eng, a post-doctoral fellow in Morrissey's lab, is the first study to show that imidacloprid (neonicotinoid) and chlorpyrifos (organophosphate)—two of the most widely used insecticides worldwide—are directly toxic to seed-eating songbirds. The paper, published in Scientific Reports, shows these chemicals can directly affect songbird migration.

"These chemicals are having a strong impact on songbirds. We are seeing significant weight loss and the birds' migratory orientation being significantly altered," said Eng, who also worked with colleagues from York University. "Effects were seen from eating the equivalent of just three to four imidacloprid treated canola seeds or eight chlorpyrifos granules a day for three days."

The good news is after a diet change and limited exposure the birds seem to recover..Canada is possibly going to ban the chemicals.
phys.org...
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   
They are toxic to humans as well. I am all for banning them.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
They are toxic to humans as well. I am all for banning them.

www.theepochtimes.com...

Washing fruits and vegetables is not enough to avoid ingesting pesticides. Americans and people all over the world are eating pesticide residue every day, as has been shown by the presence of pesticides in blood and urine samples taken from broad populations.

The health effects could include a greater risk of cancer, reproductive problems, and impaired mental development in children.

Regulators, like the Food and Drug Administration, monitor pesticide residues on foods. However, the levels of residue they consider safe are probably actually harmful, say some scientists. Regulators base their safety assessments on limited studies of individual pesticides. They don’t consider the accumulation in the human body and interactions of various pesticides from multiple sources.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The dangers of Neonicotinoids has been known for a while but the chemical industry is a strong adversary when one of their lucrative revenue streams is threatened , the UK has had restrictions on their use for a few years now but a couple of days ago Environment Secretary Michael Gove has finally bowed to pressure from the EU to ban their use full stop.

Shame it took so long but hopefully the tide is turning and the rest of the world will follow the lead set by the EU.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   

The good news is after a diet change and limited exposure the birds seem to recover..

But the damage is done to their immune system and DNA.

In the future cell division may give rise to cancer , and immune deficiency won't be able to fight off infections.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Shame it took so long but hopefully the tide is turning and the rest of the world will follow the lead set by the EU.

Not if companies like Monsanto have their way. They are trying to infiltrate European markets the same way they did the states, by introducing 'patented' seed they can use to drive small farmers out of business under 'gene spreading' by cross pollination. They sue the farmer for stealing their patented 'product' and force them out of business. Once in control they can introduce their failing products and sell the pesticides to make up for it.

Hopefully the 'Common' market is keeping up with their insidious business 'practices'.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   
This is probably why Monsanto donated so much money to Pro-Brexit Conservatives, get us out of the EU so they can start using Neonics in the UK again.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Please enjoy some Neil Young as He and group sing about The Monsanto™ Years...

www.youtube.com...

And an article from RollingStone™ whilst You rock out

www.rollingstone.com...

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
They had some distorted beaks on songbirds a while back up in Alaska, the culprit was something in the seed that people feed to the birds. I would guess that birdseed would be treated with this stuff to boost the profit margin. I think that is wrong to poison the birds when the consumer is trying to help the birds.

We need to reevaluate all the chemicals being used, we have allowed them to be used without broadform testing. The testing excludes anything that is unknown as of yet. The companies do not test for anything other than what the government says is relevant and they can keep on producing.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
We're destroying the environment in any way we can, all to save or make a freaking buck. Disgusting.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Humans are totally messed .
without Fertilizers and pesticides we cant grow enough food to feed 7.5 billion people .
with them we are killing the very insects that we needed in order to grow them and effecting our self's and animals as well .

along with over fishing polluting the oceans and darn near every thing we eat may as well be poison .
Groth hormones in animals we eat .

Funny how many say human population is not a problem .

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
So.. if we can't use insecticides/pesticides then how are we going to control harmful insect populations that spread diseases, and ruin massive amounts of crops?

I'm not shilling for the chemical industry, but you have to understand that if we don't find some way to control the insect population, then problems will just get worse. In recent years here in the south it doesn't get below freezing long enough to wipe out certain insects(mosquitoes mainly) so during spring and summer they have to constantly spray for them to minimize the population.

I'm not even going to sit here and pretend like I'm some know it all bio-chemist on the internet, but I believe there have to be alternative control methods, but I don't feel like they are researched because it costs time/money, which the chemical companies don't really care to spend.

Its really a catch 22.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Interesting. Just this past week I contacted at bird feeder/watching site to ask a question of the members. In early October I purchased a large bag of "black oil" sunflower seed for my feeder. Shortly after that every single one of my usual cardinals of about six or eight and every one of my usual blue jays of about that same number totally disappeared. I have not seen a single one of them since.

On that site where I posted my report, already was several posts from folks that also had missing birds. Several reports were in the southern US. I'm in central Texas. Other reports were from Arkkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana and I think one from Alabama.

I'm not saying the new seed was the cause of my lack of birds, but these birds winter over here. They do not migrate. Plus, I've been at my place for ten years and cardinals and jays are always around especially since I've been feeding them the last few years.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

You wrote:

"I'm not shilling for the chemical industry, but you have to understand that if we don't find some way to control the insect population, then problems will just get worse. In recent years here in the south it doesn't get below freezing long enough to wipe out certain insects(mosquitoes mainly) so during spring and summer they have to constantly spray for them to minimize the population."

That sounds like a perfect job of shilling to me. When these chemicals kill birds, that is a clear indication that we are in danger also. The old canary in the mine thing.

Farming and cropping existed long before Monsento, etc. got into systematic killing of insects and plants on a wholesale level.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

you are replying to a very very unimportant part of a post.

Now reply to the real important part.....

How do you feed almost 8 billion people without controlling insect populations?

Are you willing to starve in order to avoid "toxic' insecticides??

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

How do you feed almost 8 billion people without controlling insect populations?

Cut down on food waste , stop discarding perfectly good vegetables at source because of their shape or because they are blemished , stop supermarkets binning produce that hasn't sold.

Insect are a vital part of the food chain for other creatures if we decimate their numbers we have a knock on effect on the rest of nature , the onus is on us to manage our food supply without adversely impacting our ecosystem.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So in summary..Poison kills stuff
I'm not surprised

I really hope Canada leads the charge to get rid of these things.
edit on 12-11-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Quit breeding is a start.

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
There have been reports of insects and even bird species on the decline.. Finally a study that links all that mess with seeds coated and crops sprayed with neonicotinoids/pesticides..

"Studies on the risks of neonicotinoids have often focused on bees that have been experiencing population declines. However, it is not just bees that are being affected by these insecticides," said Christy Morrissey, U of S biology professor.

Research led by Margaret Eng, a post-doctoral fellow in Morrissey's lab, is the first study to show that imidacloprid (neonicotinoid) and chlorpyrifos (organophosphate)—two of the most widely used insecticides worldwide—are directly toxic to seed-eating songbirds. The paper, published in Scientific Reports, shows these chemicals can directly affect songbird migration.

"These chemicals are having a strong impact on songbirds. We are seeing significant weight loss and the birds' migratory orientation being significantly altered," said Eng, who also worked with colleagues from York University. "Effects were seen from eating the equivalent of just three to four imidacloprid treated canola seeds or eight chlorpyrifos granules a day for three days."

The good news is after a diet change and limited exposure the birds seem to recover..Canada is possibly going to ban the chemicals.
phys.org...

How's this for an answer?
vaticproject.blogspot.ca...

im RH-

And also feeling kinda disoriented lately... Arent birds and reptiles related?

posted on Nov, 12 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: eXia7

You wrote:

"I'm not shilling for the chemical industry, but you have to understand that if we don't find some way to control the insect population, then problems will just get worse. In recent years here in the south it doesn't get below freezing long enough to wipe out certain insects(mosquitoes mainly) so during spring and summer they have to constantly spray for them to minimize the population."

That sounds like a perfect job of shilling to me. When these chemicals kill birds, that is a clear indication that we are in danger also. The old canary in the mine thing.

Farming and cropping existed long before Monsento, etc. got into systematic killing of insects and plants on a wholesale level.

It's not shilling, It's just logic.

Do you have any bright ideas to control insect populations? Or are you just going to sit here and complain about birds dying yet rather promote dangerous diseases.

And farming "back in the day" used pesticides just like today. Some were deemed harmful and removed. The world has a far larger population now, and if we don't control insects then they will continue to destroy farmland and spread diseases.

edit on 11/12/2017 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join