It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh No.. Star Treks Lieutenant SULU is Accused of Sexual Assault.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

So why now, why after 40 years, is this man coming forward now to make this claim?

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

A consenting adult is a person who is old enough to give consent, and has given it.

You can't be a consenting adult when you haven't given consent to an act. It's sort of an important distinction because there are states where the age of consent is 16 or 17, and they're recognized as "minors able to consent."

However one wants to define it is immaterial, though. Consent wasn't given, if the story is to be believed.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: carewemust

I know Sulu likes his twitter and here was a response he wrote.

Didn't Kevin Spacey react similarly? He said this:
twitter.com...

EDIT: Twitter won't let me copy the text, otherwise I would. He denies remembering the sexual advance on the then 14 year old Anthony Rapp and is " beyond horrified". He discloses he's gay. Why'd he come out of hte closet after this alleged incident? Strange timing.
edit on 11/11/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

Now both of these men were at the time consenting adults.

So why now, why after 40 years, is this man coming forward now to make this claim? He could have made the claim back then. He could have sold his story to one of the tabloids and made a small amount of money, but he remained silent.

OK. Now replace the male victim here with a woman victim and see how that plays out. Kind of a problem, huh?

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Yea, but Spacey took the opportunity to come out definitively as gay at the same time, so "they" didn't really know what to do with his statement.

Unfortunately for him, Takei came out years ago so he doesn't have that shield to deflect with.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
"Why didn't he report it then"

Yes, a gay man reporting sexual assault in the early 80s. That would go over well for him.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

due to their age are able to give consent.

But due to the alcohol and loss of consciousness no consent was ever given on the part of the alleged victim.

True he cant give consent unconscious. But if that happened to me im pretty sure it would make the news. As emergency services would need to be called.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

According to the account whatever caused him to pass out made it so he couldn't drive home either. He stumbled out of Takei's condo and stayed in his car until he could drive, and then went home.

It doesn't really matter what YOU would do in that situation.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Sometimes rape victims or victims of sexual harassment blame themselves or feel guilty about it or rationalize it away. This is how the perpetrators can go for decades without being exposed.

I just read about a possible victim of Kevin Spacey here:
(warning: there's some graphic descriptions in the interview)
www.vulture.com - Man Comes Forward to Describe an Alleged Extended Sexual Relationship He Had at Age 14 With Kevin Spacey...

Throughout the interview, he states when he was 14/15 his understanding of love and sexual predators was rudimentary. This was one of the reasons he didn't say anything openly for so long. He finally comes out now because he realizes Kevin Spacey, like other predators, will continue to harm others if nothing is said.

Like a lot of posters I too wonder why people come out so many years after. That's why I posted.
edit on 11/11/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: carewemust

At the rate we're going, there will be more assaulters and victims in Hollywood, than there will be people who haven't been a violator or a victim.

Or, maybe. People will stop tolerating it when they see it or hear about it. Maybe people will speak up when it occurs.

Maybe. Or not.

Or maybe 9 out of every 10 of these accusations is people reflecting on poor decision making and regretting it, ya know -- just like Buyers Remorse, or it not being misconduct at all in any way shape or form. I've seen people claiming it's sexual assault to flirt with someone now, and that it's sexual "misconduct" even when you ask upfront and get consent.

It's literally out of control, what is "Acceptable" at this point?

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Sometimes rape victims or victims of sexual harassment blame themselves or feel guilty about it or rationalize it away. This is how the perpetrators can go for decades without being exposed.

I just read about a possible victim of Kevin Spacey here:
(warning: there's some graphic descriptions in the interview)
www.vulture.com - Man Comes Forward to Describe an Alleged Extended Sexual Relationship He Had at Age 14 With Kevin Spacey...

Throughout the interview, he states when he was 14/15 his understanding of love and sexual predators was rudimentary. This was one of the reasons he didn't say anything openly for so long. He finally comes out now because he realizes Kevin Spacey, like other predators, will continue to harm others if nothing is said.

Like a lot of posters I too wonder why people come out so many years after. That's why I posted.

Nope. You don't assault dozens upon dozens of people and have them all keep hush about it because their rationalizing it away. That in itself is a rationalized argument. It's usually because they aren't rape victims at all -- being flirted with or advanced upon is not a crime and is how normal people engage with a new suitor or lover. Regret about accepting an advance =/= misconduct or assault.

And that's what a majority of these allegations and accusations are.
edit on 11-11-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SRPrime

And that's what a majority of these allegations and accusations are.

Yeah. I forgot.
They let you do it so it's ok.

It's literally out of control, what is "Acceptable" at this point?
Respect. And in the case you cite above, understanding that minors are not to be toyed with.

edit on 11/11/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Jesus everyone's a #ing predator.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Most are not.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Death to those that are.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I have a movie I'm working on and I think you would be great for the lead role. Would you mind coming to my hotel room to do a reading of the script? I swear, I'm totally legit.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: dragonridr

According to the account whatever caused him to pass out made it so he couldn't drive home either. He stumbled out of Takei's condo and stayed in his car until he could drive, and then went home.

It doesn't really matter what YOU would do in that situation.

Was he drugged or just did he have way too much to drink? I recall the only time I got s-faced on my 21st. My now-husband took me home, and had he wanted to, he could have completely taken advantage of me and there wouldn't have been a whole lot I could have done about it.

But there were no drugs, just lots of booze. The room was doing flips and my legs weren't working.

Now, I am not saying something untoward didn't happen, but what were the signals taking place in the room? And how drunk were they both?

And to be perfectly fair, how often does this happen with men and women too? Mixed signals and way too much booze? Ladies need to be aware of the situations they are putting themselves in, so do gay men for that matter. And if you aren't taking care of your end of things and someone makes a pass, where does your responsibility end?
edit on 11-11-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The account says two drinks.

Maybe they were very large Martinis.

edit on 11/11/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

And again, we are back to he said/he said. There is no way to prove it now.

Not to mention, I have a friend who loses it after two stiff drinks, so it's not impossible.
edit on 11-11-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Did George do it? That's the thing. I only got halfway through the article where I couldn't take that F'n add talking over itself but it seems this may be just a dude looking for attention and/or money. Yes I'm a Trekie. I'm not saying he didn't do it. Not saying he did either.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It's really difficult to imagine George being aggressive because I've never seen him be that way. That doesn't mean he isn't capable, just hard to imagine for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join