It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I watched honesty take a dive through my life time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Really very disillusioned to have to report this, but just as Christ watched what's-his-name fall from the sky so I have watched honesty take a dive. I know that my Grandad's generation had even more general integrity; the wars taught them and they learned a very hard lesson about what it means to have a life - they knew it's value.

I am being honest when I say that I am the most honest person I know. I am so honest it hurts me every day. I am honest not only for altruistic reasons, but it is also self interest. I am fully aware that how I behave is the basis of what I should expect and my values. I watch others tumbling down like right "wobblies" day after day. you can't tell them because they are too haughty, selfish, compromised and stubborn to listen to another voice; too proud to take any advice. To teach a human these days they have to first sink their own ship to the point where they are crying out for rescue.

No doubt the lesson of our mothers and fathers is wearing off. It is a world full of immaturity and childish dishonesty, even spite. Wars teach humans about value. After a dose of that we sure realize what is important; being allowed just to stay in your skin another day is something to kiss the sky for.

I hate being treated badly. I even treat my enemies better than my parents and friends have sometimes treated me. I really am not hyping when I say that. Eventually I pulled out of anything social. Now it is a damage limitation exercise because of the liability other human beings have become. I keep my interactions to the minimum. Even so, i still get stung occasionally.

It hurts to know you as it stands. That's crazy. it ain't right that it should be like that. Christ knew all about how much the world hurts, didn't He. I have learned my honesty from hanging out with the very best of people. All the music artists, poets, writers, thinkers, speakers have been a great and solid influence. The world hurt them, too. Many of them were murdered by the world.

World, you stink. Get your act together or perhaps you might have to learn the hard way again if you are swallowed too far down the forked tongued serpent's gullet.

edit on 4-11-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   
It isn’t just integrity that has disappeared. Our country has lost its moral compass. It isn’t just about how we treat each other, but also the disrespect we show ourselves.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

You have to look much longer and harder to find the good in today's world.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Indeed, honesty and having a conscience are counter productive to ones happiness in todays world, sometimes I wish I could screw people over to get ahead as it would make my life far easier, sadly for me that wont be happening.

Reading your post reminded me of a conversation I had with a customer of mine around 20 years ago, my best made had died of a heroin overdose and I was telling this customer and I was taking it badly, he proceeded to have a go at me and rant about how he had no time for people who gave up their lives worthlessly, he went on to explain that he had many friends die in the war and his generation would never consider such and selfish and weak act. He explained that war even though it is extremely destructive creates strong bonds and comradery among men who live it.

I believe the sheer terror they went through enforced a much more honest approach to life, integrity was very important, nothing like todays world of self gratitude .

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
This O.P. covers a lot of emotions and subjective stuff, I would be interested in some examples.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Prolly the next step is to learn not to judge, because otherwise you'll be easily caught by frustration and other undesirable consequences.

IMO, judging and teaching is a waste of time and energy. It's not my job to teach anybody (maybe except my own children). The only way of teaching others I accept is my own example of behavior and attitude.

Who knows, maybe there is nothing wrong with the people, we are who we are, and that's it. Of course, we are highly suggestible by our environment, but if one finds the piece of God in his heart (I'm using the word God here as a conceptual one since I'm not a Christian), he's going to be OK whatever the circumstances. And if he doesn't, well, that's his own result.

You see, when people lie (or cheat, or cuss, or steal, etc.), they do it deliberately. In other words, that's their choice, they use their free will in the way they do. And THEIR way of using THEIR free will is not MY concern at all. I didn't give them free will. I didn't push them to make that choice. And I'm not the savior to preach them. AND I'm definitely fed up with worrying.

Jedem das Seine, suum cuique, to each his own, каждому своё.
edit on 2017 by JedemDasSeine because: typo

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
This is going to sound gushy - but the older I get, the more I respect and understand my father’s counsel. He was a great man in my eyes. He was born during the Depression, was in the Air Force, worked hard at his job, and raised 5 kids on his own after my mother died of cancer when I was a child. He always told us that we needed to always tell the truth, because lies will ALWAYS turn around and bite you in the ass - without fail. He tempered that with saying that we should also avoid “diarrhea of the mouth”. Sometimes it’s best not to say anything at all.

An interesting note: before he died in 2012, he was convinced that we were headed towards a civil war in this country. I guess you could say he was a closet conspiracy theorist and survivalist.
He always told us to buy land, taught us all how to shoot when we were old enough to hold a gun, and I blame my pack rat tendencies on him, lol.

Revolution9, sorry to get off topic. This just reminded me of Daddy’s words. Thought I’d share.w

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

You are expecting too much from a multicultural - fractured society.

Lower your expectations and relax ... or

Be pro active in a resurgence of old school values. 😎
edit on 4-11-2017 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Not only honesty, but consideration for others, a lack of respect, and the casual use of vulgarity has become wide spread. I really think the change stems from a generation like mine whose parents didn't always give us everything we wanted. There was "real" consequences for bad behavior. I think many of us feared our parents if we got into trouble in or out of school. We also had much more face to face socialization because back then, we didn't sit in front of a computer or play video games all day.

Society no longer accepts corporal punishment (paddling in schools or at home). Smacking your kid if you found out their child bullied someone at school, talked back to a teacher or was caught taking drugs, can now land a parent in jail for child abuse! Today's young generation no longer fears possible consequences for their actions. That strict discipline our parents and school officials used to guide kids down that straight and narrow road of honesty, consideration and respect, has now branched off in many directions which has caused a lot of problems in todays society.

Unfortunately, we can probably blame the public school system and the parents of my generation. Many of us had it much easier than our parents. So we gave more to our kids. Many of us didn't like the way our parents physically disciplined us. Some parents even went overboard which would be considered child abuse today. So we restrained ourselves from physically disciplining our children. Many of our parents required us to do household chores before running outside to play, which actually taught us good work ethics. Now, you seldom see kids mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, washing dishes, taking out the trash or just cleaning the house. How many families today have dinner together around a kitchen table? Instead of today's school system raising the bar for educational standards they've lowered it because of the wide spread apathy by children towards learning. There's no real consequences for poor behavior at schools, so the learning environment has been drastically compromised.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Being truly honest is one of the surest ways to FAIL a popularity contest, I know about.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Being truly honest is one of the surest ways to FAIL a popularity contest, I know about.

Porcupines of the world UNITE!!!
Failing a popularity contest isn't the worst thing in the world. Not if it means you have to lie, be vapid, hurt others feelings needlessly, or be a stingy prick.

Leave that crap to others, they seem to have it covered.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

That's not true at all. If you surround yourself with negativity then you attract negativity. Surround yourself with positivity and you will experience plenty of good on a daily basis.

Each day we wake up with 2 simple choices.

Make it a good day or make it a bad day.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Actually, one of the most pervasive motives to LIE to people I'm beyond sick of is them being afraid to hurt your feelings. So they'd send you over a cliff blindfolded just so long as they don't have to say 'no' if theyre not ultimately going to buy the blindfold from you (after swearing up and down they must have it, type back).

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
All that's happening is as we get older we get wiser.

As we get wiser we spot more of the deception in the world.

There is not more deception, there has always been the same level of deception, look at the Romans. It's just as we get older we become more aware of it.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
What a self serving pretentious thread.

I bet you are the biggest liar of them all.

Anyway I go out a lot and no there is no integrity or honesty problem. Most people are generally nice and understanding that I see. Seriously go outside to a park or something.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Yeah like this threads OP.

Sounds like the girl screaming " I'M THE BEST GIRLFRIEND IN THE WORLD, I'M SO GOOD TO MY BOYFRIENDS AND THEY ARE SUCH JERKS"

Lmao please

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Not only honesty, but consideration for others, a lack of respect, and the casual use of vulgarity has become wide spread.

People Who Swear Are More Honest

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13
a reply to: CulturalResilience

That's not true at all. If you surround yourself with negativity then you attract negativity. Surround yourself with positivity and you will experience plenty of good on a daily basis.

Each day we wake up with 2 simple choices.

Make it a good day or make it a bad day.

I think you are talking about a very shallow kind of person or existence. You will see positive by force and not acknowledge the rest, some live that way and yes they are happy here. This world is not going to get better and we need to see clearly where we are.
edit on 4-11-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Well you could be honest and not push Zionist propaganda like in your other threads

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Op I could have written much of what you said, but this

All the music artists, poets, writers, thinkers, speakers have been a great and solid influence. The world hurt them, too. Many of them were murdered by the world.

I can't get. That part of society is usually the worst as far as behavior and honesty and bad influence goes. They are the drug users who could care less about the people around them or who they hurt .....generally speaking.

As far as wars they also leave behind shatter humans who cannot love anything or anyone who bury themselves in a bottle in many cases. The depression and war strengthened the parts people already had. The good became better, the bad became monsters. The good shared all they had the bad took everything they could get by any means.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join