It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raw Story Fake Newsed by... Russian Hacker (Maybe?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
So somebody sent me a link to a piece on Raw Story:

Top Florida law enforcement official plotted to abduct, rape and murder ‘a black man or a Jew’

The Chief Deputy of the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office has been outed as a white supremacist who corresponded with other members of the now-defunct website Stormfront and plotted to abduct, rape with a metal pipe and then murder “a black man or a Jew.”

According to D.C. Weekly, Chief Deputy Micheal Gauger has been exposed as “Krieger” — a frequent poster to Stormfront, which has been linked to as many as 100 hate crime deaths.

Pretty appalling right? At first glance, it seemed odd to me that an outlet I'd never heard of, "DC Weekly," would be breaking a story about a Palm Beach sheriff's deputy being arrested. Nonetheless, I clicked the link embedded in the article's text and boom... 404 page.

Not at all what you'd expect for a 404 page from a news site called "DC Weekly" right? I Googled the sheriff deputy's name and "DC Weekly" or something like that and got a working link, here. (appears to be clean, don't access if you're squeamish)

Start reading the article realize it's saying that the police report was leaked to this unfamiliar site, purporting to be in Washington, D.C. and thought to myself, "what kind of True Pundit horses# is that?" Then there was the not particularly authentic looking "police report." So back to Google, quick search of news turns up older stories about the sheriff's deputy but noting about him being arrested for plotting to kidnap anyone and rape them with a pipe.

Not looking good. Then I noticed a piece from Gawker from 2016.

Russian Hacker Accessed Email of Palm Beach Sheriff's Office Investigator Accused of Surveilling Journalists

A Russian hacker who claims to have broken into the personal computer of a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office investigator named Mark Lewis did have access to Lewis’s email account at one point, an email released to Gawker this week shows. The hacker, who goes only by the pseudonym BadWolf, previously claimed to have obtained a document from Lewis’s computer that seemed to implicate Lewis and the PBSO in the surveillance of local journalists.

Last month, Gawker published an investigation into alleged corruption at the PBSO, based in part on a text document that BadWolf supposedly hacked from Lewis’s computer. The document was titled “Reporter Sabotage Campaign,” and it contained what appeared to be logs of Lewis conducting detailed surveillance against Lawrence Mower and Katie La Grone, two Palm Beach journalists who had given critical coverage to shootings of civilians by PBSO deputies.

Notice something about that email?

"Greetings! I am Russian hacker BadVolf!"

Put it all together? Raw Story clearly got fake newsed. Possibly by a Russian hacker ironically enough. Then again, maybe not. Who knows? I contacted Raw Story, located the author of the RS article on Twitter and DM'd him what I found and left a heads up in the comment section and in the RS tweet for the story — I figure I've done enough.
edit on 2017-10-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Oh yeah, and in case you're curious about this whole BadVolf v Palm Beach Sheriff's Dept thing. I have another link:

Why a Russian Hacker Declared War on the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Raw Story clearly got fake newsed. Possibly by a Russian hacker ironically enough. Then again, maybe not. Who knows? I contacted Raw Story, located the author of the RS article on Twitter and DM'd him what I found and left a heads up in the comment section and in the RS tweet for the story — I figure I've done enough.

Could be Russia. Could CHINA. Who knows? It could be 400 pound kid in his mother's basement, sitting on a bed!

edit on 28-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

A 400 lb Chinese kid in his mother's basement in Russia?

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
So a Russian hacker is stirring up race hate with fake stories?

Has any BLM whackos picked up the fake story and started planning marches to yell at the "piggies" over this yet? Or maybe this is some of that 18 billion dollars of Soros getting put to use. Fake News to justify fake rage.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I can vpn out of russia in about 5 min. Russia hosts tons of vpn's.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Yes, the Russian mother took a vacation to China about 17 years ago and drank too much juice at a Chinese bootleg bar. Incidentally, she had protection, but it slipped off the little guy she associated with and she carried his present home. The kid grew up hating the world and focused on a police department in Florida that he mistakenly assumed was near DisneyWorld where he wanted to go but never got the chance because his mother was Putin's horse groomer and never got a decent vacation. She could afford to buy him a computer and a comfy mattress however. So that is the whole sorry, story. Thanks for asking.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Has any BLM whackos picked up the fake story and started planning marches to yell at the "piggies" over this yet? Or maybe this is some of that 18 billion dollars of Soros getting put to use. Fake News to justify fake rage.

Yes this was the claim under the Pokemon Go story too.

Russians are supposedly fostering division by spreading the message of racial injustice, and things like the dakota access pipeline protestors.

But wait, I thought they loved trump, so why would they spread the message of people that hate him?

And of course I have been told over and over by some people that if you raise issues that the russians are pushing, then you are helping russia hurt our country.

So I guess raising the issues the pipeline protestors or BLM wants to is helping russia and should be discouraged.

But don't take my word for it, lets see what someone who does talk about the issues those groups raise thinks.

Spoiler; he thinks its garbage.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

By the way, excellent detective work.

Regardless of where fake news is coming from, it should be called out for trying to cause divisiveness.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Actually, if you read the links, it *appears* to be a personal attack of one guy vs the Palm Beach county sheriff's department. And this was a fake news hit piece to defame the named sheriff's deputy.

I really was thinking of the Russian hacking thing as a coincidence unrelated to their overall influence campaign.

Russian hacking happens. When I took my current job, the company I work for had a voicemail server with some Russian kid on it who was carding playstation games and katanas. As soon as you put anything on the Internet, it's being subjected to a constant bombardment of automated scanning. Mostly from Russia, China and former Eastern Bloc countries.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

I can vpn out of russia in about 5 min. Russia hosts tons of vpn's.

And? Are you also a 400lb Chinese kid? I'm missing something. They guy claimed to be Russian. I didn't say anyone had confirmed him as Russian.

You need to catch up with Tucker Carlson. Didn't you hear? The new thing is that Russian influence has been a big deal since 2009 when they Hillary was colluding or something.

And here you're reflexively white knighting Russian hackers out of out-moded partisan obligation.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I'm glad you found somebody on the Left to agree with. I'd have thought Trump supporters would have latched onto a reason to be outraged. After all, if the Russians are actively running influence campaigns to foment racial and more generally social division, then maybe you could transfer some blame from Trump.

But then again, Trump is blameless and Trump supporters can just blame the division on the MSM, not the GOP (because the GOP can't be blamed for this one as it might imply generations of racially divisive identity politics), the Democrats and "liberal butthurt because she lost the election."

So I guess there's no utility in it for those purposes.

The really ironic thing here is that I implied absolutely nothing about it being part of an influence campaign to stir up racial animus. Nada. That came straight from two Trump supporters.

Damn guys, calm down. You caught that Russia hysteria fast as soon as conservative media told you there was a Clinton angle.

EDIT to add:

I mean I literally posted this:

Oh yeah, and in case you're curious about this whole BadVolf v Palm Beach Sheriff's Dept thing. I have another link:

Why a Russian Hacker Declared War on the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office

But now that you're bringing it up... it *is* Palm Beach County, home of Palm Beach, location of Mar-a-lago. Trying to stir up division right in the President's backyard.

And he's too stuck denying Russian influence to see it. I bet Sarah Palin would have seen it.
edit on 2017-10-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
BLM are Leftist radicals, this plays to them so therefor it supports them. All them commies hanging out organizing Lefties with their bullhorns and Soros bucks don't happen to be commie by accident.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Just an update. The story has been pulled and the Tweet advertising it deleted. Author didn't hit me back though.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   
A few things to note:
1. If I am BadVolf, as suspected, I am not:

1. 400 lbs
  2. In my mother's basement
  3. Using a VPN from Russia.

I can say that I am IN Russia... I think you have access to my FB and can establish that for yourselves.
2. I can say pretty positively that Russia had nothing to do with hacking the DNC. The DNC was never hacked. Podesta did have his email phished, true (and it wasn't by any entities of Russia)... but the mass of emails was taken and put on a flash drive by a man who is now dead (murdered). Before his death, however, that drive was given to a 3rd party, a man who owned a whistleblower website and had to flee to Russia after police lied to obtain a warrant to raid his home and seize his computers. This man is a former cop and had been exposing criminal activity in police agencies or many years, which made him hated. This former cop is suspected of being BadVolf (wait... okay, now I am confused. I thought I was BadVolf. Okay, maybe I am both BadVolf and that former cop in Russia... I can't remember).

Seven or so days after that man arrived in Russia, DC leaks was created. When DC Leaks was started, it was done so on Malaysian servers, but man, they were hella unreliable. In the interest of time and experience, they were instead provided to Wikileaks.
3. The FBI knows all of this but everyone continues the Russia narrative because it's convenient. I suspect, frankly, it's an embarrassment and it's much easier to blame a massive state agency than a single 400 pound chinese man in his mother's basement in Russia (oh wait... I forgot...)
4. The police report in the article - actually, it is a probable cause affidavit and it is the real deal. I have copies of many others of you would like to compare. The report never made it into the system because the case number was reassigned. It is the same with the report on Chief Deputy Gauger's son, Michael Gauger. Here is a link to that report:
wiki.pbsotalk.ru...
if you call the WPBPD, they have absolutely no record of that report. But if you call the officer, or any of the other officers, they will tell you that was the actual report.
5. Fake News: Very good! But not actually fake. Just a fake news site. You see, the media in Palm Beach County is absolutely terrified of that Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office leadership and as such, they don't run many stories about the stuff that happens there if it reflects poorly in Ric. There are many reasons - Bradshaw has told all the local stations that if they cover him in a poor light, they will be last to get breaking press releases. And then Katie Legrone and Lawrence Mower wrote the "Line of Fire" story about all the bad shootings where no one was held accountable, the Sheriff had Detective Mark Lewis investigate them both. Both were placed under surveillance for a criminal fishing expedition. You can hear about it here - this is a higher up with the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office talking about surveillance on the journalists.
wiki.pbsotalk.ru...
Yes, they secretly had DCF attempt to take away Katie Legrone's kids. That's why in Palm Beach County, for the most part, the journalists all look the other way. As such, steps must be taken to get the story out.

To the OP - Great catch! I will have to remember to fix that. I think it's actually a problem with the SSL redirection; when a broken link is caught, apache throws it to the default site. Oops... I guess no one is perfect.

Any other questions? Let me know.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BadVolf

Interesting story.

I take it you're not really a "hacker", as you're posting this on the clearnet. Even if you were using a VPN through TOR, exit nodes are still compromised.

It would be easy enough for the right..."people" to Xkeyscore you.

Hey, does McDonalds still do those grilled bread and cheese things? )))
edit on 29-10-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Russian hacking happens. When I took my current job, the company I work for had a voicemail server with some Russian kid on it who was carding playstation games and katanas. As soon as you put anything on the Internet, it's being subjected to a constant bombardment of automated scanning. Mostly from Russia, China and former Eastern Bloc countries.

Russian hacking a thing.. My Sarcasm detector broken , tell my that's a joke isn't it ?
If not well ... whatever.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BadVolf

Interesting audio clip. Canyou identify who the speakers are for us?

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I am in Russia and I will be here for the rest of my life. The Government already knows all of this; why bother to hide it? Besides, I change my computer every week or so - so I am not too worried.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
And to which audio clip are you referring? I linked to two. One man was a detective named Kenneth Mark Lewis and in another clip, there is a PBSO lieutenant named Bobby Anderson. He is the one talking about surveilling journalists and such. He was talking to me and a K-9 officer from the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department at a bar.

RE McDonalds... I don't eat at McDonalds here very often... but the food is completely different. I mean, you have burgers and such, but the taste and smell if completely different. In Russia, they don't allow companies to fill their products with # and fillers or they will throw them in jail. Oddly enough, they take consumer protection very seriously here. But if a company advertises it is beef or chicken, it damned well be only that. Personally, though, I stick to the food from the Caucasus. I love shashlik (like kabobs) and Plov (yummy rice).

Also, to Kukri, ever since the sanctions, the craft beer market here has exploded. Some of it is complete crap, but some of it is brilliant.

Feel free to hit me up on Whatsapp... +7 903 220 01 75

top topics

join