It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Starting, We were told it Would

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
when all the protests over memorials started and people wanted this one removed, or that one removed, or this persons day celebration stopped.
many people said that it wouldn't be long before they started in on the founders of the U.S. well the first one has been picked and it's our first president.

George Washington was one of the founding members of Christ Church in Alexandria, buying pew No. 5 when the church first opened in 1773, and attending for more than two decades.

This week the church announced it was pulling down a memorial to its one-time vestryman and the country’s first president, saying he and another famous parishioner, Robert E. Lee, have become too controversial and are chasing away would-be parishioners.
George Washington’s church to tear down memorial honoring first president

i wonder how many more?

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Omitting your past to be popular?

Say it ain't so.

It's like selling your soul to the devil.

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

The issue is not the statues, the issue is why "controversial" is considered a "bad thing." Controversy is good, avoiding controversy is cowardice. Neither Washington nor Lee would have feared controversy.
edit on 28-10-2017 by DJW001 because: Edit too correct autocorrect. --DJW001

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

i agree 100%. in order to know what ones country was in the past, warts and all, is part of the keys to it's future

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: RAY1990

i agree 100%. in order to know what ones country was in the past, warts and all, is part of the keys to it's future

How about putting a plaque on every statue of Lee that says: "He placed his loyalty to the state of Virginia above his oath to defend his country?"
edit on 28-10-2017 by DJW001 because: Edit too correct autocorrect. --DJW001

+26 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

back then states were the one that made the union. there would have been no U.S. unless the states joined. many leaders of the time felt that states should hold more power than the federal government.

the notion that the federal government had more power, started with jackson. which shouldn't be.

edit on 28-10-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

i wonder how many more?

All of them. Damn constitutionalists anyway, who needs them?

Not that it matters, they stopped teaching what George was really all about when I was in elementary school. All I remember being taught about him was something about cutting down a cherry tree and what date he crossed the Delaware.

Useless droll.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Good thread
Seems to be more questions now than actual solutions. The Country is highly divided which doesn't help. A Revolution may be just what it needs.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   

The debate predates the Constitution. Would you rather have a plaque that said: "He fought to defend the institution of slavery?"

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Well surely that church won't mind refunding the "controversial" Mr. Washington's money to his heirs with 244 years of compound interest, right?

After all, that money came from such a "controversial" figure and all. It wouldn't be right to use it. It might offend some new parishioners or some such thing if they knew about it.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
nice spin thread.

you titled it that way and chose a section of the article that focuses on what you're trying to peddle because the people this title would attract wouldn't need to read the actual article to have an opinion..
so sure "they" are coming for the presidents....

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Only seeing this story on the one slightly dodgy website, any other sources?

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

i guess that i might have misunderstood your post.
true the debate had started from the drafting of the document, but as far as any one asserting the federal governments power over the states. it was jackson, during and calhoun fight.

maybe a better one would be.

he fought to to preserve the rights of the states, over the power of the federal government

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

all you got to do is look, there are plenty of others, here is one.

George Washington’s Virginia church taking down his memoria

but i got a feeling that no matter what source is used, wouldn't be good enough for you.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Looking forward, I can see where the whole field of history is banned. Not rewritten, but simply banned. That may seem like a crazy thought, but think in revolutionary terms of PC to extreme with SJWs and those wanting to upset the status quo by any means.

The argument will be that every last scrap of it is from the "old era" and need not be looked at as that would be the best approach for everything from that time, both actual people in the society and institutions as it all pertained to an unintelligent time of human activity. Therefore, a clean slate is needed, based entirely upon what is RIGHT at this time in human evolution. This revolution against history is fully justified and supported by the new humanity...so it will be claimed.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: Painterz

all you got to do is look, there are plenty of others, here is one.

George Washington’s Virginia church taking down his memoria

but i got a feeling that no matter what source is used, wouldn't be good enough for you.

The folks on the opposing side of this debate will never acknowledge it’s a misguided attempt to erase US history, whether it be honorable history or dishonorable history. Then in 100-200 years, their offspring will wonder why the dishonorable things of our past are occurring in their present...

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Dont worry, someday trekkies will rule the world. I long to see that.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

nice spin thread.

well of course it's spin if it doesn't fit your view.

i said nothing that hasn't been said on this site and in the MSM, and the quote that i posted came straight from the article. the first two paragraphs which tell you what the article is about.

if i wanted to spin it, i would have used this one.

Meanwhile Lee attended Christ Church beginning at age 3, when he moved from Stratford to Alexandria. The church was so integral to his family that Mary Custis Lee, his daughter, left the church $10,000 in her will upon her death in 1918. That money was used to begin the church’s endowment.

Church leaders did not say whether they will attempt to return the $10,000 gift from Lee’s daughter.

hell no their not going to give back the money. freaking hypocrites.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Trade in your history for a VCR.

posted on Oct, 28 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

talk about behind the times, then you could watch all the history that hollywood screwed up from it's patriotic days up to it's liberal days now. but i'm pretty sure somewhere some one has put them on dvd or are streaming them.😈😈😈

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join