It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cub Scout Booted from Den for Asking State Senator Tough Questions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
On October 9th, a Colorado state senator, Vicki Marble, met with a group of cub scouts at a den in Bloomfield, CO. At the meeting, organized by the Boy Scouts, the young scouts were given an opportunity to ask questions of their elected representative.

Reportedly, the questions ran the gamut from the President's proposed border wall, fracking, fossil fuels and why some people voted for former President, Barack Obama. One fifth grader, Ames Mayfield, respectfully asked two questions he'd composed with the assistance of his mother. I managed to find a video of the exchange on YouTube but the volume is a bit low:

The first question was about controversial statements made in 2013 by the legislator which were apparently referred to at the time as "ChickenGate." Smiling, Marble calmly addressed the question, telling the boy that it was simply something "made up by the media."

She also listed her multicultural bonafides as reported by ABC News:

While responding to Ames' question, Marble told the Cub Scouts, "I have a multicultural family and I'm very proud of it."

"I have blacks in my family. I have blacks and Mexican -- they aren't Latino, they're Mexican. I have Jew. Oh, and I have Native American too. And we talk about our genetics and what we're predisposed to so we can take care of each other, and we eat everything and we exercise," Marble said in the videos, later adding that her cultural background includes the "lousy Irish," generating some chuckles from the audience. "We have multicultural foods within the United States and we are very blessed to have it. And we all love it and we all eat it. And we just better figure out our genetics," the senator said.

However, it was the boy's second question that reportedly got him kicked out of his den.

That question was rather lengthy at about two minutes. I can't make the whole thing out from the video but it was about gun control. Here's the excerpt that is circulating in both the local and national media outlets (also from the ABC News source):

"I was shocked that you co-sponsored a bill to allow domestic violence offenders to continue to own a gun,” Ames asks Marble. “Why on earth would you want someone who beats their wife to have access to a gun?"

From another article, the question seems to have also tied into healthcare somehow al a "owning guns is a right but healthcare is a privilege." I don't want to get lost in the weeds here though. What's important, is that both the boy's questions and the senator's answers were delivered with respect. By all appearances and accounts, the whole exchange seemed extremely civil — a good introduction to a town hall style Q&A for the scouts.

However, a den leader didn't feel the question was appropriate and a few days after the event, Ames was expelled from his den, just three months from advancing to a Boy Scout troop.

What lesson is that teaching these kids?

The BSA responded to a request for comments:

A spokesperson for the Boy Scouts of America told ABC News on Thursday that Ames is still part of the Cub Scout pack and the organization is working with his family to offer options that will allow him to continue his scouting experience in a way that fits his and his family's needs.

The organization and its Denver Area Council "are committed to working with families interested in scouting to find local units that are the best fit for their children," the spokesperson said. "The Boy Scouts of America is a wholly non-partisan organization and does not promote any one political position, candidate or philosophy.

It was also reported that a number of dens not led by a despotic snowflake have reached out to the family and offered a spot to the boy.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You know this makes me put off from the BSA. I was looking forward to my son joining clubs when he is older but I want him in an environment with a "tribe" if you will, of people who promote individuality, education, information, and that helps teach the kids to do exactly this, stand up and ask the questions no matter how tough. I want my son to be taught to lead by those involved in his life, not taught to sit silently and to follow. I've seen enough of that in my own life.

-Alee

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Because, who doesn't know that the Scouts are a CIA farm???

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It's a sad day in America when the Boy Scouts trashes the Constitution.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

two questions he'd composed with the assistance of his mother

and there is the problem

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
You know this makes me put off from the BSA. I was looking forward to my son joining clubs when he is older but I want him in an environment with a "tribe" if you will, of people who promote individuality, education, information, and that helps teach the kids to do exactly this, stand up and ask the questions no matter how tough. I want my son to be taught to lead by those involved in his life, not taught to sit silently and to follow. I've seen enough of that in my own life.

-Alee

I do not have children but if I did this to would be my goal.

This is a hard world to raise children in if this is how you want to do it. I mean did you read the other thread about a school that's going to punish students that don't stand and say the pledge?

We are building a world of followers.
Good luck and I hope you raise a free thinker. We need more of those.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Bet that wouldn't have happened with a girl Boy Scout. Bwahahahahaha.....

On the serious side, I feel for this kid. WtF is wrong with the mother to use a 10 yo for making political points?

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

On the serious side, I feel for this kid. WtF is wrong with the mother to use a 10 yo for making political points?

That is what happens when a persons political perception overrules their instinct to be a good parent. She likely saw this as an opportunity to put the senator on the spot, and coming from a young child, made it even more of a difficult situation for the senator. I guess the idea that this could negatively affect her own child, and have a lasting psychological and emotional impact on the kid didn't enter into her calculus of the situation.

Parenting over politics people. There is a time and a place for everything.

This was not it.

She chose poorly.

I hope she realizes it before her child takes the wrong path and joins AntiFa and is arrested for assault and destruction of property. And has a criminal record following them for the rest of their life.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Kinda beside the point but since you're bringing it up — do you think the rest of the kids composed questions about fracking, the border wall and why people voted for Obama all by themselves?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the scout leaders made the parents aware of the meeting and suggested that parents sit with their kids to come up with a question or two.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I hope she realizes it before her child takes the wrong path and joins AntiFa and is arrested for assault and destruction of property. And has a criminal record following them for the rest of their life.

Holy hysteria. Are you serious? There were somewhere north of 50 million children in the US aged 5-18 based on the 2008 census. And there are what? HUNDREDS of Antifa?

Oh boy, if you're raising any kids, I sure hope you're not putting your hysteria before reason! They may just end up neo-Nazis or something. *eye roll*

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Kinda beside the point but since you're bringing it up — do you think the rest of the kids composed questions about fracking, the border wall and why people voted for Obama all by themselves?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the scout leaders made the parents aware of the meeting and suggested that parents sit with their kids to come up with a question or two.

Exactly. IDK why the parents got sucked into this. Unless they are just political tools. Sad situation when life comes to this disgusting low. The even sadder thing is that I don't think we've seen the bottom of the barrel yet.

ETA: Rethinking this if they kicked the kid out they were questions that were inappropriate. That means that they didn't suck the parents in. They were informed of the event. The parents took it upon themselves to use the kids in this manner or not. I agree that 10 yo's would ask these questions either.
edit on 20-10-2017 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Broomfield :p

I'm right down the street, saw this on the local news.

Poor kid, why kick him out?

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't care if the mom did help with the questions, there is no remote justification for kicking this kid out for asking tough questions.

Now had the questions been vulgar or something, sure.

But what lesson are we trying to teach kids.
Asking difficult questions of people in leadership roles should be avoided at all costs?

I think the leader who kicked this person out needs to not only be forced to accept him back and apologize, but learn what its like to be asked some difficult questions herself.

Furthermore, the politician should step in and say she doesn't feel the scout should be kicked out of she had any intergrity.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

and there is the problem

You hit the nail on the head with that right there.
The mother is obviously a Liberal pissed off at the Repub senator.
Who tells a 5th grader to ask questions like that? I will tell you who...A Liberal who walks around with a clenched ass all the time looking to start a fight over Nazis or whatever.
If anything, the mother should be banned from the den not the kid.
edit on 20-10-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

and again - thats the problem

the scouts are supposed to nurture the development of the child - not be thier parents parrots

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

the scouts are supposed to nurture the development of the child - not be thier parents parrots

The 1st amendment doesn't get repealed just because you are a scout; regardless of where the questions come from.

Lawyer up bigly and teach those dumbsh--- a civics lesson!!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

As an Eagle Scout I would recommend the BSA to any family. Recently Scouting, like everything else, has been politicized. However Scouting is still very healthy and true to the American Spirit. If there's options for Cub Dens in your area check out how they are ran before righting them off completely.
edit on 20-10-2017 by RogueWaterC1 because: typo

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

and there is the problem

Exactly my thoughts. As disgusting as it is that his den leader felt compelled to kick the kid out, I find it vastly more disgusting that his mother decided to use him as a platform for her own questions.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

If we go with this response then I'd say that the fault lies with even scheduling these kids to talk with the Senator in the first place. It had to be obvious even if it wasn't pitched to parents to help them come up with questions that they'd get involved. Kids don't care about politics and usually just parrot their parents' politics.

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

wasn't pitched to parents to help them come up with questions that they'd get involved.

That's really where the problem is. That's down to the nature of how the pack is run. In my kids' pack, unless power tools are involved the parents are kept more or less hands-off unless something is an obvious safety issue. When we have guest speakers, the questions are very obviously coming from the kids and not whatever their parents have scripted for them.

usually just parrot their parents' politics.

I think my oldest has been hanging out with Kali. I'm pretty sure he's somewhere to the left of Lenin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join