It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophically speaking, why are so many posts here capable of being answered in one word?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: zackli

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Why write a wall of text when your thoughts can be summed up in one word? It'd be inefficient not to.
edit on 19-10-2017 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Imagination.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Ambiguity

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

psyops

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Depending upon the intent of the question, a one word answer can be accepted or rejected by the receiver.

One can choose self-interpretation of the one word answer based on one's own reality/experiences, or seek an explanation of the answerer's reality/experiences, or not have to seek an explanation due to already knowing what the intended long version answer will be by knowing the intended outcome by knowing the philosophy of the person being asked the question.

For instance, here on ATS on the philosophy/metaphysical forums we pretty much have a handle on most posters' philosophical/metaphysical positions, so one-word answers say a lot.

Man!

edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago026101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago027101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago027101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago028101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I think its one of the reasons many dont come here anymore. It used to be a good place to come for some answers/advice to share stories etc and get good replies.

Many just cant be bothered or think they already know it all and dont wanna help others.

Mockery and laziness to. Being picked on for a genuine query's about something.

Maybe they already heard it before but to answer with 1 word,, what is the point?

Alienmindflare

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alienmindflare
I think its one of the reasons many dont come here anymore. It used to be a good place to come for some answers/advice to share stories etc and get good replies.

Many just cant be bothered or think they already know it all and dont wanna help others.

Mockery and laziness to. Being picked on for a genuine query's about something.

Maybe they already heard it before but to answer with 1 word,, what is the point?

Alienmindflare

Maybe to illicit a response, imagination, curiosity...or just to see if anyone wants to bother to spark up a conversation (testing the waters)? The next time someone answers with a one word answer maybe we all should follow up on it, but we don't usually, do we?

edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago045101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

The real question is why do you have such specific expectations? And why do you just, assume, one word is an adequate answer? Just because you have judged a question "capable" of being answered one word does automatically mean that word is going to be helpful to anyone.

It seems as though rank questions based on how many words You would use to answer it. I find that to be quite an arbitrary method, but i certainly won't judge you for your strange Rainman-like obsession....

Kinda like my cousin Danny, he will Only count in multiples of 5, and hes totally obsessed with 2 syllable words always, but you can never leave him alone because he likes taking things apart that don't belong to him...

Hey, we should get the two of you together for a playdate!👍
edit on 10/19/2017 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Some yes I agree are testing waters but I find its normally people that have been around here for a long time.
Im generally more a lurker here than poster,just observing so to speak.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: zackli
It runs completely contrary to the essence of what a forum on philosophy and metaphysics should be.

Wait, I just re-read your title and opening post. It can be interpreted two ways. Are you implying that what others here post can be answered by YOU in one word? Perhaps suggesting that posters' posts are missing the mark for YOU?

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alienmindflare
a reply to: InTheLight

Some yes I agree are testing waters but I find its normally people that have been around here for a long time.
Im generally more a lurker here than poster,just observing so to speak.

That is the 'seen it all' 'heard it all' phenomenon on forums where members have been around for a long time.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Short attention span

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Trump

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP
Hillary

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Because

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well dammit, who gave the other star??

One word, one star...I thought it was rather poetic.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
lethargy

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Philosophically speaking, why are so many posts here capable of being answered in one word?

Dang!

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Tundra

😈😈😈

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join