It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Did DoD Just Defund The Congressional EMP Commission?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
If North Korea Can Kill 90% Of Americans In A Year, Why Did DoD Just Defund The Congressional EMP Commission?

(Zerohedge.com)-At a House hearing yesterday, experts warned members of Congress that a North Korean EMP attack could kill 90% of Americans within one year, calling it an “existential threat.”

But despite this looming crisis, the Department of Defense has decided now was the time to defund the Congressional committee that has been studying the threat since 2001.

The Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack has been around for nearly two decades, but their efforts have mostly been restricted to making sure that the U.S. national command authority and U.S. strategic forces could continue to function. Meanwhile “no major efforts were then thought necessary to protect critical national infrastructures.” Apparently, the plan was that our defense would be so effective, no further steps were needed.

www.zerohedge.com...

Hmmm....

On a lighter note.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Add...

This North Korean doomsday weapon could kill up to 90% of Americans, experts warn

www.msn.com...

^Full story here^

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Full thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ya thanks.

This one is about defunding though.

I do suppose they go together though

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I was replying to your post about that 90% number.

But the ending of the commission happened a while ago.

On Sept. 30, the Congressional Commission to Assess the Threat of Electromagnetic Pulse to the United States of America (or EMP Commission) was shut down indefinitely.

thehill.com...

edit on 10/18/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I would Trust the DOD to make that judgment more so than the "Experts" saying other wise. If you think that Korea would get one missile over hear you would need update your assessment on our military capabilities.

The military's intelligence as pertained to science, adaptability, prioritizing, testing, knowledge gathering, among a lot more things, is roughly 30 to 50 years ahead of the civilian population's ability to produce.

Apparently, the plan was that our defense would be so effective, no further steps were needed.

I would agree. They already know how to stop it.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I hope this project can go into the private sector, you know, so it actually gets done. That is, the part where we get defenses on infrastructure.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Why is it always North Korea ?
Why not China ?
Why not Russia?
Why not Iran ?
Why not some rogue state that has obtained nuclear technology ?
All it takes is a nuclear blast above a region...
A nuclear weapon would be better served using it for it's original purpose...

Our good old government still at work
A shepherd using a sheep dog in wolf's clothing to herd sheep into the pen.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Look up the 2 satellites. of N.Korea's, that passes over the U.S twice a day.

Nobody is talking about them launching a missile here.

You also said "trust" and "DOD" in the same sentence.

That's funny.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI
There is an industry group. They may have had more do with the disbanding of the EMP Commission than the DOD. These groups have fought the commission's recommendations for EMP hardening.

NERC has repeatedly and successfully lobbied Congress to prevent legislation that would require EMP-proofing. That is something America, and the world, could one day regret.

www.economist.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
If North Korea Can Kill 90% Of Americans In A Year, Why Did DoD Just Defund The Congressional EMP Commission?

Because deep down all the hype is just war propaganda.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

One day we'll have to EMP ourselves when the DOD/Google/etc would-be skynet takes over.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Yet not much is being done. Barack Obama ordered EMP protection for White House systems, but FERC, the utilities regulator, has not required EMP-proofing. Nor has the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) pushed for a solution or even included EMP in official planning scenarios. (The Pentagon should handle that, DHS officials say; the Pentagon notes that civilian infrastructure is the DHS’s responsibility.) As for exactly what safeguards are or are not needed, the utilities themselves are best equipped to decide, says Brandon Wales, the DHS’s head of infrastructure analysis.

That's cute, they are arguing over which designation has to spend the taxpayers money for taxpayer infrastructure.

That was a good read Phage, thanks.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

It's more about regulations requiring the electrical industry to do something. Not the taxpayers.

And we know how the current administration feels about that sort of thing.

EMP Commission? We don't need no stinkin' EMP commissions!

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Look up the 2 satellites. of N.Korea's, that passes over the U.S twice a day.

Yeah, I did. It is all speculation that North Korea has gotten bombs on them. That would have been a very fast reaction time of North Korea so close after testing, don't ya think? Also our government is capable of nullifying those same satellites at will.

Nobody is talking about them launching a missile here.

What do you think would be their deployment mechanism? If not a missile, then what?

You also said "trust" and "DOD" in the same sentence.

I have to agree, that does sound bad, but I can assure you that in this situation it is true.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Depends on who's side to take, DHS, DOD or private industry.

The current administration should address it, much more important than a wall IMO.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

"Also our government is capable of nullifying those same satellites at will."

They might or could, but if they wait, it wont matter.

They would have to knock them out before the use them.

And I could be wrong about this, but I think the U.S have no capablility to knock out incoming from the southern region of space, i.e Antartica.

Again, I could be wrong about that aspect of U.S defense,
In fact I prefer to be wrong about that.

Also this seems more creepy now, than when the game came out in 2011.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

After decades of (?), we're probably confident that the U.S. can thwart any North Korea missile before it arms itself?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Our electrical infrastructure is privately owned and operated. The government regulates it.

They have lobbied to not have to protect against EMP and now, apparently, have done away with the single government body which encouraged them to do so.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
You might want to check on our success rate so far. Then you can talk about how safe we are.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join