It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used to believe that white privilege exist

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Southern Guardian

You are the one who started this by claiming that *if all else is equal* the minority will not be hired in preference of hiring the white.

This was an entry level position, so there was no past performance to draw on.

I said ... all things were equal.

The only difference between them was her status as a woman and a minority.

So if he needed to reflect on his past performance, then so does any minority candidate who gets passed over.

This does not just happen one way.

I believe that federal law states that all things being equal the minority HAS to be given preference.so reverse discrimination isn`t a conspiracy or an illusion, it`s the LAW!

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
And whites do this to each other, depending on religious differences, whether you have a degree or not, whether or not you are a manager.

In my Dad's time, whenever there was a workplace party, all the people with degrees would sit at one table, while those without degrees would sit at another. In one of my past workplaces, all the managers would sit at one table, while the engineers would sit at another. In my high school it always seemed that anyone who was Roman Catholic and in a particular suburb was in the top classes while everyone else was in the remaining classes. You'll see that in Hollywood as well. One religious group are at the very top, while everyone else is underneath.

bingo! whites do it to each other not because of religious differences but also because of socio economic differences. like I said it`s not about race, it never was it`s about rich verses poor.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I too am Asian American but being from the Midwest and having lived all over the world I have a much different perspective. Chinatown borders on the southside of Chicago. They have gentrified the area. It is absolutely amazing the change in just ten years and it is all being done by Asians. I do think people think the white privilege mentality evolved due to a perception of wealth. I personally don't believe in white privilege. I only believe in wealth privilege. We would love to put a face of the people we want to blame our problems on, but in reality it's all about money. It has always been about money and education. Go to any country that has majority of one race, what will you find, the same thing, the exact same feelings, except it is about wealth. You say you personally don't think of poor whites, this also tells me you haven't had the opportunity to travel the country much. You really should, it might change your viewpoint. Try the state of West Virginia. Appalachia is breathtakingly beautiful, but you'll see more poor white people than you can imagine, Visit Atlanta, you'll see a lot of rich black folks.

that`s exactly what it is, wealth privilege, it`s so obvious even a blind could see it.
do rich black people live with and treat poor black people the same way they treat their rich black and white friends? hell no
do rich white people live with and treat poor white people the same way as they treat their rich black and white friends? hell no
this has never been about race it`s always been about money.
edit on 15-10-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Logarock

Um just letting know you here in LA, Mexicans have a long history dating back to when California was part of Mexico. They have been racially discriminated ever since the US took control of California.

So what applies in Ohio does not apply in LA.

I get whites are also victims elsewhere in the US but that's not the case most of the time in LA.

I suggest you should come to LA and talk to the local minorities. I think they will give you their perspective.

I would love to talk to some rich minorities in L.A. but there aren`t any, once they got rich they moved out moved to a neighborhood where other rich people live. this isn`t about race privilege it`s about wealth privilege.
the rich people want nothing to do with the poor folks no matter what color the poor folks are.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

a reply to: Southern Guardian

Considering my husband was in that situation in Kansas as a to all appearances white male who was in an interview against a minority female, all other things were equal and he did not get the job ... I'm not sure where you are going with this. They hired her because she could check the boxes and all other things were equal.

But please, do tell me where they are falling all over themselves to hire white males when the social and political pressures are to appear diverse.

In other words, things weren't equal, and your husband offered the company less. If diversity is a commodity that companies value, and you don't meet those diversity checkmarks, then it means you need to compensate. Either cost less, or do better so that you can make up the value difference.

or maybe they just followed the law and hired the minority so they wouldn`t have to get into an extended and costly legal battle? you are aware that if all things are equal, by law they have to hire the minority? or face a long costly legal battle against the sate or federal government?
edit on 16-10-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

White privilege is complete garbage. I'm Asian but man I will beat out most people for a job including whites because I'm just fukin good at what I do. People only use white privilege as an excuse because they are uneducated and suck in life.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   
As a white male from LA, I see both sides. Having been pulled over 6 times in LA and gotten away with speeding and worse every time, I kind of see why minorities think white people get a pass. I have seen how black people get treated by the cops first hand and each time it seems tense, overtly aggressive and clearly different than my interactions with police. But it also seems true that the educated, upper class have their own kind of privilege that rules in the employment sector, that these "educated" people are extremely privleged and compensated very well along class lines.

To me the idea of constantly crying white privilege is getting to be very tiresome because is only sows the seeds of division. I think minorities in LA are now looking for racism which is a newer development. Also this liberal notion that minorities cannot be racist is the biggest bunch of BS cognitive dissonance...

On the other hand, it see how conservatives, their media and their establishment is so quick to side with the person who shoots a black person whether it is a cop or Zimmerman. That a grown man can follow a juvenile, stock him in the dark and murder him after the kid tries to defend himself sends a whole different message. In each shooting Fox News finds the most thugged out photo and jumps through hoops to make it sound like each black guy was selling crack to 14 year old white girls.

The problem is in America is that both sides are so whacked in the head that our partisanship has become a liability.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Not really. Go to school, learn Computer Science, get good at it. Walk into any job you want.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
or maybe they just followed the law and hired the minority so they wouldn`t have to get into an extended and costly legal battle? you are aware that if all things are equal, by law they have to hire the minority? or face a long costly legal battle against the sate or federal government?

Then things weren't equal. We live in a competitive society. Competition means you don't need to be as good as your peers, it means you need to be substantially better.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Pretty much, and it can take generations of dedicated work, sacrifice and effort for a family to build up that financial/economic capital. If even one generation in the chain lets the others down, it can all be blown and has to start over again. That's why a culture built for success is so important.

Right, and the converse of the familial capital (of all kinds) accumulation is inter-generational cycles of poverty.

I'm all for helping underprivileged people, but reject that it's only people of color. Help should be based on actual evidenced poverty, and acknowledgement of privilege should be based on evidenced privilege, not monolithic categories of race or gender.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join