It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The pc crazy hits Canada hard

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I'm a bit confused. Are you mad because he isn't doing his job? Or mad because he isn't sticking his nose into someone else's job?

Prime Ministers have zero authority over what School Boards wish to title their employees.
edit on 12-10-2017 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Canada doesnt have our grimey history of black slavery like we do here, but up there they did screw over the injun's. In fact it was still going on in modern times last I heard. Real eugenics type shia'ite if I remember correctly. So thats their version of white liberal guilt.

Thats the Native A's even had one of their words end up with a dominant role in the English language ought to be an accomplishment.

But those Canadian's and their white guilt, apparently they're following the white guilt f the democrat's and their racist confederate past, where their solution was send antifa out to tear down all the confederate statues, gotta scrub that history we'll get er done now real quick and help everyone forget it ever happen and then we'll be 'free'. Well envious oh Canada and their trying to show they can hang too now they're doing the most disrespectful thing I can think by saying 'we refuse to even acknowledge you by using one of your words'... out of respect.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I am an English teacher and have seen how harmful words can be.

We could follow the lead of some fellow posters and reduce all reference to humans to the word "snowflake"-- thus offending everyone and no one all at once.

Or we could use emojis to communicate, but only the nice ones.

Words are too hurtful. This this the chief (ahem) *main reason I propose we use emojis to communicate from here on out.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
In the game of political correctness the casualties are words and the languages we speak. Still it has solved absolutely nothing.
edit on 12-10-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Better change "Mounties" too. Too 'sexist'...

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The word is not even a native word, it's English.
This crap makes my head hurt. Let's find problems where none exist.

Well, maybe some do exist. We all know that putting an ironic twist on a word can turn an honorific into an insult. Canada is currently engaged in trying to fix what's wrong with the way in which our Indigenous population has been and continues to be treated. It really is a daunting task to repair the results of 500 years of inequity, but we are trying to set a baseline from which we can all move forward. Some of these efforts are a little tough to understand...but sometimes we don't get to make the calls.

So, while this left me kinda scratching my head (and one MUST read the article for proper context), if it helps out just a little, then why not?

If anyone was to champion this cause, I knew it would be you. Glad you didn't disappoint!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

The toronto school board has phased out the word "chief"

I do know for a fact that there are Native Americans that take offense to the word being used as a personal reference in conversation.

ETA: In fact, I made reference to it yesterday in a post yesterday. One of the members in the thread used the term 'chief' on the first page.

edit on b000000312017-10-12T10:20:50-05:0010America/ChicagoThu, 12 Oct 2017 10:20:50 -05001000000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
This this the chief (ahem) *main reason I propose we use emojis to communicate from here on out.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This this the chief (ahem) *main reason I propose we use emojis to communicate from here on out.

Had to a fix that for you.

"Only the nice ones"

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I do know for a fact that there are Native Americans that take offense to the word being used as a personal reference in conversation.

ETA: In fact, I made reference to it yesterday in a post yesterday. One of the members in the thread used the term 'chief' on the first page.

I can see how calling every native "chief" could be offensive. But calling the actual chief a chief shouldn't be.

The term is not being used in a derogatory way.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

👁️ 💓 🍕.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

My wife used to work for a doctor. he was a nice guy, but couldn't remember my first name. (it's the same as his) so he just called me "Chief". I was not offended.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I am an English teacher and have seen how harmful words can be.

We could follow the lead of some fellow posters and reduce all reference to humans to the word "snowflake"-- thus offending everyone and no one all at once.

Or we could use emojis to communicate, but only the nice ones.

Words are too hurtful. This this the chief (ahem) *main reason I propose we use emojis to communicate from here on out.

So shamelessness is the way to go?

How about we all grow up, and acknowledge our faults, but be grown ups about it instead of scrub words to try to absolve us of our own guilt? If someone is a criminal your solution is to never call them one, and they'll just grow up all on their own?

This 'ew I NEED trigger warnings' culture needs to

How did humans ever manage until 10 years ago with out it?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Canada is currently engaged in trying to fix what's wrong with the way in which our Indigenous population has been and continues to be treated.

Continues to be treated ??? They have all the perks to get help in higher education, as well as help in many ways. They are exempt from being treated as other criminals when they murder , steal, and destroy. All because of residual residential abuse.

Most of the crime ... some very serious ... is done by indigenous people around here. When does there come a time when the country can be genuinely concerned about how many indigenous are treating us !!!

Sick of their whining, immature rhetoric. Heck, one was on Tv here a few years ago demanding all costume stores and department stores take the Native American costumes off the shelf.🙄

edit on 12-10-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I can see how calling every native "chief" could be offensive. But calling the actual chief a chief shouldn't be.

The term is not being used in a derogatory way.

I was just stating the facts.
For the record, I believe that pc is overboard today.
Let the easily offended be offended, imo.
Sticks and stones/breaking bones, words... you know the deal.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

Why so triggered?

THAT's exactly what I'm wondering about you and the other snowflakes upset over a word.

You got it!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It wont be long until we all will be forced to use gender neutral pronouns for titles if this trend continues.

I couldnt imagine getting a fine or a ticket for this crap....

" This person said I was a (Master) of basketweaving, how dare this person to say that. I'm calling the moral police!"

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nik0laTesla
It wont be long until we all will be forced to use gender neutral pronouns for titles if this trend continues.

I couldnt imagine getting a fine or a ticket for this crap....

" This person said I was a (Master) of basketweaving, how dare this person to say that. I'm calling the moral police!"

What's the difference in being offended by words and being offended by those who are offended by words?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I haven' t the slightest clue. I miss the days people taking the high road and going about their lives and not obsessing over trivial issues that a 2 year old would.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

This crap makes my head hurt. Let's find problems where none exist.

That just t, problems DO exist. The government has been lax on native issues for decades. That's Liberals and Tory's. Their action on the violence towards native women alone is a sad indictment. So you're going to get weak, token actions like this one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join