It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween Costume Advice?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The Insider is here to help you all out!

They don't want you to inadvertently offend with your choice of costume this Halloween. Here are 14 pictures of costumes with an explanation as to why you shouldn't wear them.

As you might imagine, cultural appropriation features heavily!

I like the one that tells you not to wear a dreadlock wig. And then you aren't supposed to dress as a convict either because that could be insensitive to trivialize the prison system. The preggo belly and white dress that makes you a reality TV star in the making is also bad because of it's body shaming implications. Don't dress like Hannibal Lector because you are making fun of mental health. And you can't be a scary hobo clown because ... it makes fun of the homeless.

I wonder what they'd say if I sent my kid out in his martial arts outfit? Likely that's cultural appropriation, too. Heck, he probably shouldn't even be learning Tae Kwon Do because he's not Korean. I guess I should start looking for his lacrosse lessons ...

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Not feeling well? Sorry about that...

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I remember meeting a guy dressed up as Kimbo Slice.
Full face paint and everything. It was, and still is the best costume I have ever seen.

There's a difference between "appropriation" and paying homage.
Everything is racist now though.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Disclaimer, apparently there is debate on the authenticity of the pic, but still a good idea

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

How about dressing as a white male?
They apparently scare everyone and you don't have to worry about offending them.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I don't care what you dress up as for Halloween, just bring your children to my house for candy.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Not celebrating this year. But if I was I'd sport a plain white t with handwritten letters... " I'M OFFENDED THAT YOUR OFFENDED !" So sick of this political correctness crap. You can't live in a melting pot of cultures such as society is and not have cultural appropriation. Besides there's a fine line between appropriation and appreciation. People just look for the next passing bandwagon of whining and complaining to jump on and full out expect everyone else to as well. Pffft. I will NOT be assimilated.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

I think people should just save everyone a lot of time and effort and just go around with signs like you said.

WHATEVER OFFENDS YOU MOST ... THAT'S WHAT I AM!
edit on 11-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
People these days just ignore old people altogether so I think I could get by with just about anything I chose as a costume. Maybe buttons and ribbons of everything/every racial to political to fantasy to sports.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

I think the best costume would be one of these, only loose enough that it's genderless and with the face covered.

Then when someone asks, you can tell them you are Politically Correct.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Afraid my body type would be repulsive but I could cover it with the above and hide sme of my bulges at the wrong places. Could be interesting. Thanks for the idea.
edit on 11-10-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Go as zombie Jesus.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Wintercroft has awesome designs. And you make the mask yourself! I did a duck one a couple years ago. It's really fun.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm gonna be The Dude(tte). My jellies will be sparkly though, and my hair is a bit longer than his. But I will have a White Russian and chill to Creedence.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Everyone knows The Dude. Husband has a Dude Abides tee and constantly gets comments on it.

That should be an awesome costume.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

"You're mr. Lebowski, I'm the dude, man, so that's what you call me. . . ."

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Not enough people where I reside know the Dude, but it's an easy way for me to find out who I'd like to befriend. If you don't know him, there's a wealth of jokes and references that I can't use.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

Not enough people where I reside know the Dude, but it's an easy way for me to find out who I'd like to befriend. If you don't know him, there's a wealth of jokes and references that I can't use.

Nothing is more fun than wearing geek shirts in public to see who gets the most reactions from people.

His Bob Ross shirt is also quite popular.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Dress up as a watermelon then go down to the firehouse for the haunted house and let the hilarity begin!

That is about all I got today. I saw the story on one of the news places and chuckled then went and washed my hands.

D@mn spot wont come out!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join