It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dove Apologizes for ‘Racist’ Soap Ad That Turned Black Woman White

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Dove apologized and pulled down an online soap ad in which a black woman pulled up her shirt to reveal a white redheaded woman underneath.

This is an interesting Yahoo news article above a marketing campaign for Dove Body Wash that apparently went horribly wrong.

The ad actually had the Black woman transform into a White woman who transformed into an Hispanic/Asian woman.

I'm not always a cheerleader for political correctness. However...this is just wrong. How could the marketing folks NOT have seen this coming?

-dex

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

Dove apologized and pulled down an online soap ad in which a black woman pulled up her shirt to reveal a white redheaded woman underneath.

This is an interesting Yahoo news article above a marketing campaign for Dove Body Wash that apparently went horribly wrong.

The ad actually had the Black woman transform into a White woman who transformed into an Hispanic/Asian woman.

I'm not always a cheerleader for political correctness. However...this is just wrong. How could the marketing folks NOT have seen this coming?

-dex

People are talking about it, the marketing department did a great job, majority of people will know that it is PC correctness gone mad, (as normal).. Dove get coverage that is worth millions...

RA
edit on 9-10-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Please explain to me why this is offensive.

Genuine inquiry.
edit on 9-10-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I think there is allready a thread on this ...just sayin yep www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9-10-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

I think there is allready a thread on this ...just sayin yep www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yup please see this: www.abovetopsecret.com...
There was a third girl in the video, it's not just an image, shared by member Nyiah.
Guess that changes the story huh?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I hate it when I do that. That's embarrassing.

Please direct any further responses to the original thread.

-dex

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Sooo... was the black lady forced against her will to do this "racist" commercial?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   

As one lateral thinker to another whoever devised this ad campaign is very clever. It works on two levels and they knew it.

Obviously, there is the level where the order is perceived as nothing more than a list. It has to begin somewhere, don't it. The fact that the white woman comes after the black woman could almost be seen as polite and PC. However, there is the clever twist to this tale where the shirt comes off and it is a white woman beneath the garments. This is the clever part. This is the controversy.

This ad has been highly successful. Even I am chatting about it and I don't normally bother about such ant-issue snowflake dramas.

Very clever campaign. Nothing more than psychologically clever. I don't give a rat's ass about the rest of it.

Carry on being triggered by stupid things. Soon there will be no place left to hide from the triggers; everything will trigger you. That might be good stock humour source material for me, but for them it's torment they perhaps wholly deserve.

edit on 9-10-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Don't use soap. It is really bad for your skin. Dove are utter liars. That # will give you wrinkles.

I just bathe once a week and I don't even wash my face more than that. There is no need to. People that use all that crap give themselves skin problems. Nature did not mean us to go messing with our skin. It functions biologically and the bacteria is quite necessary. It is an effective CULTURE. Since I did this I never get skin infections or spots. It takes a while to adjust. I never use detergents in my hair, either. The natural oils soon balance. It does not smell or look bad after a while. My hair is much less dry than it used to be now I have stopped using all their crap.I am 50 and I don't have wrinkles. I only shave once every week or two, too. Shaving everyday stretches your skin awful. Look at all those turkey necks; that's why. I would not shave at all, but my beard looks so scraggy. I wish I could have a beard like Jim Morrison's. That was the coolest beard that ever grew on a face.

That's a much more natural and attractive face. Lol, I would rather date Jim than any of those "slim jims". He was BEAUTIFULLY unwashed and his beauty was not just skin deep.

You lying sonofadove!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Dove must be for blacks and liberals, I’m an only a Irish spring guy, whites and ginger soap for me!!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Hmmm...

So, a woman transforms from a "white" woman, to a darker complected person, then to another shade, and this is considered racist? Surely it would be easier to assume that the message here is that the body wash will work for all skin types and tones, and is in fact a product that can bring people together from across whatever ethnic divide might separate them?

No? Ok.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I feel cheated.
I thought I was going to see some ta-tas.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
That is what it's supposed to relay but it looks like some people got the wrong end of this stick.

I've seen other ads where people kept changing from male to female or black through to white, brown etc.. none of those were considered racist.

I think there's some people out there who just don't get it although I do see what they are referring to.

They see a black girl first and then the soap and then a white girl underneath which I presume the people complaining are saying 'wait... she washes with soap and turns white or she washes her dirt off and turns white'. I think that's what the crowd are seeing. Not sure it would have caused the same probs if the white girl had turned black? Would it?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Hah! I am very PC offended. i insist that Dove colour their soap black in future and change the name from Dove to Crow.

Black Crow Soap actually sounds kinda good, has a ring to it don't you think? Yes, the liberals will (d)ove it. I think i shall contact Gwyneth Paltrow with my stunning new idea.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Whilst i bath a few times a week,at least every second day,i agree that many people overdo it.My daughter for instance,will sometimes shower twice a day,and wash her hair both times too.Complete overkill,i keep telling her,your poor skin..

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Theres only a smattering of reasons I can think of, to shower more than once a day. If your job involves a heap of sweat, as well as contact with huge amounts of muck besides, I can understand it. If its just bastard hot constantly and the end of the day smells like the beginning, I can understand it. But given light use, little contact with particulate matter of the disgusting or mucky type, I can only assume that the reason for a two shower day, is either pleasurable or a compulsion.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane

Whilst i bath a few times a week,at least every second day,i agree that many people overdo it.My daughter for instance,will sometimes shower twice a day,and wash her hair both times too.Complete overkill,i keep telling her,your poor skin..

www.independent.co.uk...

Fashion designer Vivienne Westwood has revealed that washing just once a week is the secret to staying young. Speaking after the Andreas Kronthaler for Vivienne Westwood Spring/ Summer 2018 show during Paris Fashion Week, the 76-year-old advised that people shouldn’t “wash too much” when reporters asked about her youthful appearance.

er husband, Kornthaler, 51, then interjected saying, “She only takes a bath every week. That’s why she looks so radiant,” before revealing the he cleans even less often. “I only wash once a month.”

In the Arctic, Antarctic, during military action and on mountains those guys go ages without a wash and they are doing some serious physical work.

I m not averse to people smells. It does not bother me particularly. I don't know what it is like for women, but for men female smells without perfume act unconsciously on them. Not meaning to gross anyone out and it certainly should not be gross because it is natural, but I can smell women at different times of their monthly cycle if they don't wear perfume. Some women smell very exciting just from their natural smell.

What on earth am I doing writing about all this. It's not how I intended to spend my day.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Hmmm...

So, a woman transforms from a "white" woman, to a darker complected person, then to another shade, and this is considered racist? Surely it would be easier to assume that the message here is that the body wash will work for all skin types and tones, and is in fact a product that can bring people together from across whatever ethnic divide might separate them?

No? Ok.

Touch a woman and then get back to us.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I can only assume that the reason for a two shower day, is either pleasurable or a compulsion.

A lot of it is to do with paranoia and peer pressure. The adverts really mess with particularly young women's minds. They have to make the grade like the magazines and media tell them to. If I was a woman I would flout convention. I like the French women for their disregard for all that. I think their armpits actually look really sexy.

Patti looks so amazing in this picture.

Damn, the pressure to conform that is upon the modern young woman is ridiculous. Why do they so want to inhibit themselves and put themselves in a prison cell like that? I would not impose anything on anyone like that. it is so restricting, psychologically and even physically unhealthy.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I take a shower with my chick when she is having her monthly.
Otherwise I just hose the grime off.
Soap dries my skin and I end up with face dandruff.
It's good for washing grease off your hands, but otherwise I have no use for the stuff.
Lard and lye. Who was the genius that marketed this product?

s

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join