It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitting ESPN Where It Hurts Most

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+67 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I am not looking to discuss the politics involved here because I am simply wanting to exercise my right to free speech to maximum effect. Regardless of political position I don't want ANY of it in my sports. Sports are my escape from politics or at least they used to be.

I am already boycotting all things NFL this season. I haven't watched a game and won't be buying any NFL products this Christmas which will be the first time I haven't gifted NFL items to family and friends in years. I was actually considering getting my season tickets back this year before all of these disrespectful jackasses started disrespecting America.

The owners could fix this just like they would if someone criticized someone's race or religion. Fines, suspensions...all of these would work. Frankly, disrespecting my country and my flag are something I personally don't support and by extension I won't support a product that allows this behavior to proceed unchecked.

So, I find it easy to boycott the NFL, but how do we boycott ESPN to maximum effect? They are unwatchable anymore because they are constantly trying to interject their liberal / leftist politics into everything. Whether or not you support Jamele Hill's disrespectful remarks about the President I ask you to simply turn it around to be about Obama and you tell me if she would have survived her tirade.

Anyway, not watching ESPN is easy because other than the NCAA Softball World Series I don't NEED to watch anything on their channels. I am currently an ESPN insider and I already cancelled my subscription because they obviously don't care about my opinion about removing politics from my sports (I have written them many emails regarding this which have been ignored or I get a standard 'your opinion matters to us' BS with no actual action).

I am considering cancelling my cable over this or move to a service that allows a cafeteria style channel selection where I can deselect channels I don't want (there are many from the Golf channel to CMT that I don't watch).

How can we affect change on a huge corporation like Disney / ESPN?

I can only vote with my dollars as my opinions are being ignored.

I am looking for ideas for affecting change and not political discussion. If I wanted that I would have put this in the Mudpit.

edit on 2017/9/23 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I am looking for ideas for affecting change and not political discussion.

Are you asking how to affect...programming and content of shows?

There's your answer, seriously. Create you own network. Influence opinion over the media waves..

Or tear it all down and build your own...

That said, I don't watch much sports and could care less what they do. They do not offend me, but they have the right to...kneel.
edit on 23-9-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I applaud you.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Only for channels that are dedicated to sports.

I am so sick of politics and if I want it then I can watch cable news.

edit on 2017/9/23 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

There's no shortage of sites that stream all the games free. It just takes a little searching. Most don't show the commercials either.

They can enjoy their free speech, I get my football, and they get none of my money.

It's a win win win!

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

There's your answer, seriously. Create you own network. Influence opinion over the media waves..

That said, I don't watch much sports and could care less what they do. They do not offend me, but they have the right to...kneel.

I seriously doubt they have a 'right' to knee. They DO have the option to do so. Assuming they're willing to experience the pushback.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

I seriously doubt they have a 'right' to knee. They DO have the option to do so. Assuming they're willing to experience the pushback.

Exactly!

I support their right to do it, but I don't have to condone it by contributing to their paycheck. The owners need to squash this as detrimental to their business.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Liquesence

Only for channels that are dedicated to sports.

I am so sick of politics and if I want that I can watch cable news.

I understand you're sick of politics and want to escape with sports (I would too)...

How do you separate money/entertainment/politics when it's all about money? Laws?

But what can you do? You have a very valid question: how?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Do you understand the concept of a "right?"

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Did you know...

That today both the NFL.. and a large swath of NFL owners came out today in support of the players and in opposition to the President?

I was surprised.. I thought the league and the owners went the other way on this.

I'm really happy with the NFL.. I will be spending whatever money you stopped spending and support the NFL even more now..

ble.ac...

Those are direct statements from the commissioner and various NFL owners.

You don't seem to have a problem when the players donate time and money to hurricane victims... or human trafficking... or breast cancer awareness.... but when they want to contribute to another cause... the port treatment of minorities by law enforcement... you want to boycott?

That speaks to your true views

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

That today both the NFL.. and a large swath of NFL owners came out today in support of the players and in opposition to the President?

Yes, it increased my desire to send a message to these anti-American owners.

I will be spending whatever money you stopped spending and support the NFL even more now.

I don't believe you.

You don't seem to have a problem when the players donate time and money to hurricane victims... or human trafficking... or breast cancer awareness.... but when they want to contribute to another cause... the port treatment of minorities by law enforcement... you want to boycott?

Have you ever seen someone disrespect the flag over those causes?

Didn't think so...

edit on 2017/9/23 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Lol.

Why the hell would you watch the Softball World Series?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Sounds like a cause.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

Lol.

Why the hell would you watch the Softball World Series?

I coach high school softball and my daughter and her friends are all softball players. I know it seems random, but I love the college game.

edit on 2017/9/23 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I really like what you wrote, but I don't think you'll like what I'm going to write.

Sometimes there's really nothing we can do. Government, corporations, businesses will do what they want.

Our best bet would be to live our lives and enjoy ourselves.

So many things in our world, so many people, so many ideologies really suck. We can't always rely on alien invasions or EMP's or even zombie apocalypses to get us out of the crapfest we live in.

Sorry.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I agree.
From a NFL fan of decades uncounted
Not one game this year and the outlook looks bleak for next year.
BTW - seen any pictures of 49ers home games and their half-filled stadium?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I believe so. Do you?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Our best bet would be to live our lives and enjoy ourselves.

I agree!

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I believe so. Do you?

Pretty sure I do. Hence my previous comment.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Big Time Sports have been one of the major miss-directions in our society for over half a century.
The huge money making scheme has been subsidised by tax payers around the country for the massive areans and tax breaks for the owners of the teams.

It has all been part of creating heros and celebreties. Paying these heroes big time bucks so that they guide children into a system of work your ass off during the week and then chill on the weekend with some brew and sports, then go back to work on Monday. Americans have been drugged with professional sports.

And now your sports are not exactly what you want them to be. Your drug is being altered and you don't like it. Maybe you should not have let yourself get so addicted in the first place.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join