It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ATS - this is the reason we are fundamentally scared of CLOWNS.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hi folks,

Now this isn't a long & complex thread, and it does involve a leap of speculation. However, I would go so far as saying that I sincerely believe I might be onto something here. Perhaps new investigations into linked matters (in terms of historical evidence) might shed light on an ancient, enduring psychological conditioning method which has been used against children (all of us) for thousands of years!

I think it counts as an 'archaeo-conspiracy discovery' - but decide for yourself.

Why is it that so many of us are creeped out, or even downright s%^t-scared of clowns - and yet they have permeated our cultures, being paraded before weirded-out or terrified children for countless generations, since the Grand Old Year of the Fool, way back thousands of years ago, in the courts of the ancient kings & queens? Why are our children subjected to an archetypal evil jester which pretends to bring laughter & fun? The many variations on the theme, including the paradox of the depressed clown, have only served to creep us out more - because most of us can't figure out how they're supposed to be a lighthearted means of entertaining the little ones?

My suggestion is bold, but I think it might have merit, when you consider that way back when clowns were 'invented', the jesters of yesteryear, in the courts of ancient kings & queens, presumably persisted through myriad generations of war, famine, barbaric sieges & sackings, etc. The kids, just as the adults, would have seen terrible things, unless they were blessed with a time of peace in their lands..

What if the clown was never meant to be a symbol of fun & frolicking in the first instance? What if we have fundamentally misunderstood their 'origin story'...?

It is my contention that clowns are not meant to be fun, frivolous jokers - they are meant to be a warning against folly, and against the risk of resting on your laurels in a culture of leisure - a culture within a civilisation which may be only faintly insulated against the brutal outside world, and the 'Other', the nations which surrounded you & may one day seek to overthrow your kingdom in violence & bloodlust..

What if the common meme of an 'evil clown' - a demonic trickster pretending to be a pleasant laughter-loving diversion from the hardships of life - is in fact a moralistic cautionary tale, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a pair of size 25 shoes?

The clown's appearance seems to evoke an almost primal revulsion for many, many people around the world - and here is why:

The image of the clown's face is instinctively recognised by our subconscious mind as a symbol of death & defeat, via the mechanism of genetic memory, or the collective unconscious, or a mixture of both.

The clown's visage is actually the image of a decapitated head tipped on its side..!!!

Behold this MRI scan of the head & neck of a regular human being, tilted on its side:

Let's think on that, while we observe the weird phenomenon of clown gang stalking which has swept several nations in recent years. Is there a shadowy underground occult stream which knows the true meaning of the clown archetype, seeking perhaps to re-sensitise us, in some sort of experiment perhaps, to increase fear, and encourage the swelling of the evil clown mythos...? Perhaps for some dark magickal purpose even - or maybe they're know-nothing idiots doing it for lulz.

Either way - the clown symbolises treachery, the folly of foolishness; the dangers of soaking in luxury; the ever-present threat of annihilation from without - or destruction from within, the demon hiding in false light...

SLEEP WELL...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

I'm just glad you didn't post this, which was what I expected:

Either way - the clown symbolises treachery, the folly of foolishness; the dangers of soaking in luxury; the ever-present threat of annihilation from without - or destruction from within, the demon hiding in false light...

You got that part correct.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Well, I think you maybe onto something here. The origins may well be pretty dark.

The Pied Piper could be considered a clown. Pied Piper

When, lo! as they reached the mountain-side, A wondrous portal opened wide, As if a cavern was suddenly hollowed; And the Piper advanced and the children followed, And when all were in to the very last, The door in the mountain-side shut fast.

Better Source Here

That clown in the OP would be English, you can tell by the quality of the teeth.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
what if: the clown is an representation of the misterious interdimensional (this is speculation) trickster behind the ufo and the paranormal phenomena?
think about that for an second
or could we be seeing some type of tulpa like KEK?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

yikes! this is some vallee fairie/alien abduction s#it right here

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Neat thread. The origin of the word Harlequin is pretty fascinating. (Hell kin was one possible etymology, King Herle was another).

Although the origins of the Harlequin are obscure there are several theories for how the character came to be. One theory posits that the name is derived from a bird with polychromatic feathers called a Harle[4] Another theory suggest that the name Harlequin is taken from that of a mischievous "devil" or "demon" character in popular French passion plays. It originates with an Old French term herlequin, hellequin, first attested in the 11th century, by the chronicler Orderic Vitalis, who recounts a story of a monk who was pursued by a troop of demons when wandering on the coast of Normandy (France ) at night.[4][5] These demons were led by a masked, club-wielding giant and they were known as familia herlequin (var. familia herlethingi). This medieval French version of the Germanic Wild Hunt, Mesnée d'Hellequin, has been connected to the English figure of Herla cyning ("host-king"; German Erlkönig).[6] Hellequin was depicted as a black-faced emissary of the devil, roaming the countryside with a group of demons chasing the damned souls of evil people to Hell. The physical appearance of Hellequin offers an explanation for the traditional colours of Harlequin's red-and-black mask.[7][8] The name's origin could also be traced to a knight from the 9th century, Hellequin of Boulogne, who died fighting the Normans and originated a legend of devils.[9] Cantos XXI and XXII from Dante's Inferno there is a devil by the name of Alichino.[4][10] The similarities between the devil in Dante's Inferno and the Arlecchino are more than cosmetic and that the prank like antics of the devils in the aforementioned antics reflect some carnivalesque aspects.[10] The first known appearance on stage of Hellequin is dated to 1262, the character of a masked and hooded devil in Jeu da la Feuillière by Adam de la Halle, and it became a stock character in French passion plays.[11]

en.wikipedia.org...
Thanks for the post!
edit on 19-9-2017 by zosimov because: source

edit on 19-9-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Well, I think you maybe onto something here. The origins may well be pretty dark.

The Pied Piper could be considered a clown. Pied Piper

When, lo! as they reached the mountain-side, A wondrous portal opened wide, As if a cavern was suddenly hollowed; And the Piper advanced and the children followed, And when all were in to the very last, The door in the mountain-side shut fast.

Better Source Here

That clown in the OP would be English, you can tell by the quality of the teeth.

Which can be traced, in some shape or form, back to all cultures in their myths. Whether the deceiver or the trickster (both are similar), it's one who misleads by putting on a false face. The clown's face paint is a mask to hide the true identity, so what you see is not authentic of the person or thing behind it, just like everything else.

Human Nature.

Similar to the christian myth of the devil, the trickster and deceiver, and so on.
edit on 19-9-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This was in the local laundry, that is creepy as all hell.

I don't really have a phobia of clowns, but it may stem from the unnatural shapes that are painted on the faces. There was a general rule that a clown's paint shouldn't include straight lines since they gave the features a more sinister look. White facepaint and the shapes painted also distort the recognition of faces so they seem foreign and creepy.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I really don't see what all the fuss is over clowns scaring people.
I have never had any clown freak me out....I am more freaked out about spiders.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Ya ever seen Clownhouse???

Arachnophobia freaked me out, too.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Above Top Secret Clown Business:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Awesome outside-of-the-box thread. 10 / 10.

PS How did you possibly think of this?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment

I think it counts as an 'archaeo-conspiracy discovery' - but decide for yourself.

The clown's appearance seems to evoke an almost primal revulsion for many, many people around the world - and here is why:

The image of the clown's face is instinctively recognised by our subconscious mind as a symbol of death & defeat, via the mechanism of genetic memory, or the collective unconscious, or a mixture of both.

The clown's visage is actually the image of a decapitated head tipped on its side..!!!

Behold this MRI scan of the head & neck of a regular human being, tilted on its side:

Very awesome speculation! I like the concept that you are proposing; the fear of clowns being a genetic instinct induced by the subconscious recognition of a severed human head. I enjoy the originality of the hypothesis.

You could be on to something here:
Fear of Snakes, Spiders Rooted in Evolution, Study Finds (National Geographic)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Maybe it's because some clowns are actually killers.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: RazorV66

Ya ever seen Clownhouse???

Arachnophobia freaked me out, too.

Never seen Clownhouse...I looked for it on Netflix and Amazon Video....nothing but the full movie is on YouTube lol
I will check it out.
Funny thing about Arachnophobia...I saw it years ago but after I watched it, I didn't seem to have as much fear of spiders as before I watched it.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Ding Ding! Gets the prize.

John Wayne Gacy is the reason people first began to fear clowns. I remember that case as it unfolded. What a friggin monster.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Pretty much what makes clowns cringy for me.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
S&F! It seems like a good theory. My brother is a clown - seriously, he went to Clown School. I might have to bring this up at our next family gathering!

Oh, and thanks for adding that creepy MRI scan.... that’s what will give me nightmares tonight!

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Doomhead from '31' is the best Joker ever.
NSFW
edit on 19-9-2017 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I used to drive a clown car of sorts.

I had a 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with welded I-beams for the front and rear bumpers.

I called them my "clown catchers"...

<<   2 >>

join